FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Things that totally suck about being overweight (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/7872-things-totally-suck-about-being-overweight.html)

differentinside 07-18-2012 04:09 PM

Things that totally suck about being overweight

Okay, so here I am again, overweight. Three years ago I actually did it... got down to size 4 (I'm a lady) and 145 pounds. Now I'm right back where I started, 208 pounds and size 14. So, although I am the same person inside, I have had such different experiences having been fat and thin, and I've learned that thin girls definitely have more fun, and I want to be thin again. So here are some little tidbits of info that are really getting under my skin about being overweight, and I thought I'd share them.
1. Getting dressed totally sucks for a fat girl. I used to pull ONE outfit out of my closet when I was thin. It looked great. I was ready to go. Nowadays, I've got half the closet pulled onto the bed before I finally just settle on an outfit that feels good. Then, I try not to look into any mirrors as I go about my day.
2. Men treat me totally different than they did when I was thin. They held doors for me. They joked around with me. Do I want guys hitting on me? NO WAY! I'd just like it if when I walked into AutoZone, the guy behind the counter would look up from his copy of PlayBoy and wait on me. That would be nice. I'd like to be treated like a normal person, not some disgusting blob who has let herself go. Men are naturally shallow and their standards are high, and no, I don't want to go through life being unattractive to them. People may say that's not right and I should be doing this for myself. But think about it, and you'll see what I mean, ok?
3. My house is a mess right now. When I was thin, I kept my house in order. I felt good enough to do it. When I'm completing a project at home, I rarely feel hungry. Funny how a clean house and a "clean" body go hand in hand.
4. My kids and I had fun when I was thin. We ran together. We went out and did things outside. Now the poor kids are subject to sit in the house because overweight Mommy doesn't feel like doing anything. That's not fair. And now my older son is starting to put on pounds as well which is not good for him at all.
5. Photos. I could have screamed when I saw myself in my sister's wedding photos a week ago. And of course all those photos went on facebook, for everyone to see. So they see the fat I was trying to hide by only posting pics that were flattering and didn't show my double chin were hoaxes. I feel a lot like a big, fat version of Pinnochio right now. It's very embarrassing. My husband wants to get photos done at Christmas. We need to, but if I see anymore fat photos of me, I'm going to die.
When you're overweight, life is a struggle. The only thing some people see is my fat. So I have to get rid of it and get my life back. I'm hoping this site helps me. I am ready to feel good again, and be the person I feel like inside.

Kliker17 07-18-2012 08:18 PM

I totally get You.
Apart from looking bad...

What was humiliating for me is that I had to ask my boyfriend to tie my shoes for me, because I couldn't bend.

And clothing... having nothing to wear for work, and my stomach slipping out when getting out of car or sitting.... uhhhh

And You're right about home - everything was dirty because I had no strength to clean floor or to bend behind furniture. I only did dishes and some easy stuff...
Disgusting!

I decided to do something because all of this, and now I feel better, happier, stronger, faster, bendy :)... I can tie my shoes without sitting.
I only hope I'll keep this weight for good.

My good looking female colleague told once:
''Taking care of your weight is pure hygiene. If You take care of your clothes, take shower every day, wash hands, hair, putting makeup, taking care of your outside - why not taking care of what you put inside your body?''

differentinside 07-19-2012 12:26 AM

Never thought of the hygeine thing, but you're absolutely right. No wonder people are turned off by fatness!:p Thanks for replying!

RunbikeSki 07-19-2012 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kliker17 (Post 85690)
I totally get You.

My good looking female colleague told once:
''Taking care of your weight is pure hygiene. If You take care of your clothes, take shower every day, wash hands, hair, putting makeup, taking care of your outside - why not taking care of what you put inside your body?''

I really like that! I hadn't really though of it that way either. :)

catebert 07-19-2012 01:06 PM

:( Things that totally suck about being overweight:

Going clothes shopping and NOTHING fits (being short doesn't help either LOL). If it's big enough to go around the 'girls' it's too long in the arms or too big in the shoulders, or won't go around my fat a$$... you know what I mean!

What a difference 8 pounds makes, though, I went thrift store shopping couple weeks ago and got 5 tops and a pair of capris that all fit well (and a pair of shoes, all for $38!!!) AND they were a size smaller than I had been wearing. THAT's what I'm talking about!:D

Borg-mx5 07-19-2012 04:43 PM

Understanding.

Originally Posted by differentinside (Post 85683)
Okay, so here I am again, overweight. Three years ago I actually did it... got down to size 4 (I'm a lady) and 145 pounds. Now I'm right back where I started, 208 pounds and size 14. So, although I am the same person inside, I have had such different experiences having been fat and thin, and I've learned that thin girls definitely have more fun, and I want to be thin again. So here are some little tidbits of info that are really getting under my skin about being overweight, and I thought I'd share them.

1. Getting dressed totally sucks for a fat girl. I used to pull ONE outfit out of my closet when I was thin. It looked great. I was ready to go. Nowadays, I've got half the closet pulled onto the bed before I finally just settle on an outfit that feels good. Then, I try not to look into any mirrors as I go about my day.

2. Men treat me totally different than they did when I was thin. They held doors for me. They joked around with me. Do I want guys hitting on me? NO WAY! I'd just like it if when I walked into AutoZone, the guy behind the counter would look up from his copy of PlayBoy and wait on me. That would be nice. I'd like to be treated like a normal person, not some disgusting blob who has let herself go. Men are naturally shallow and their standards are high, and no, I don't want to go through life being unattractive to them. People may say that's not right and I should be doing this for myself. But think about it, and you'll see what I mean, ok?

3. My house is a mess right now. When I was thin, I kept my house in order. I felt good enough to do it. When I'm completing a project at home, I rarely feel hungry. Funny how a clean house and a "clean" body go hand in hand.

4. My kids and I had fun when I was thin. We ran together. We went out and did things outside. Now the poor kids are subject to sit in the house because overweight Mommy doesn't feel like doing anything. That's not fair. And now my older son is starting to put on pounds as well which is not good for him at all.

5. Photos. I could have screamed when I saw myself in my sister's wedding photos a week ago. And of course all those photos went on facebook, for everyone to see. So they see the fat I was trying to hide by only posting pics that were flattering and didn't show my double chin were hoaxes. I feel a lot like a big, fat version of Pinnochio right now. It's very embarrassing. My husband wants to get photos done at Christmas. We need to, but if I see anymore fat photos of me, I'm going to die.

When you're overweight, life is a struggle. The only thing some people see is my fat. So I have to get rid of it and get my life back. I'm hoping this site helps me. I am ready to feel good again, and be the person I feel like inside.

I thought I might give you a male perspective on your post.

1. This also happens to men. I recently went back and collected all my old bicycling jersys. Now if you don't know about bicycling clothes, they are generally skin tight and if you have a great body you can look amazing in them. I can't fit them anymore. Some of my dress clothes, nope, don't fit either. Here I am still wearing fat clothes and while I have lost some weight, I am not even one size down yet. I know it will take a long time. Men are vain.

2. You are being treated like a normal person. Believe me, men do not have high standards. I could and should write a book about how men respond to women. I work in a public environment which allows me to see what happens to every male when a great looking woman walks in. It is not the same as when an average woman walks in, and if you think men are judging you about how fat you are, think again. Men like women in all sizes. I know women feel better about themselves when they feel more attractive to the opposite sex, but then again so do men. I do not think I will ever be anyone's idea of a handsome guy, but I know I can do better. What both sexes find truly attractive is confidence and we should have that regardless of size.

3. I think you are putting the cart before the horse. I get upset when I do not have a clean home. I do it myself. I think that if you commit to getting your home in shape, you will find that you have more resolve to losing the weight. Accomplishments matter so get going on it.

4. I understand but your kids do come first. You must be a role model and example to them. I know it is hard. I raised two kids too. Most of the time I was fat and if I could, I would have done it for them. My mistake.

5. I hate photos in general, but especially when I am like this. In the film "The Matrix", they introduce the concept of "residual self image", that is we see ourselves as being in a fixed stage in our lives. I see myself thinner, younger and certainly with more hair. Every time I see myself in a photo or video, I am shocked. I think I should focus on the event being celebrated and the fact that I am there, not on how I look. Tough to do though.

I think you are probably much harder on yourself than others. I suspect you have a loving family and great friends who don't define you by your dress size.
Go ahead and lose weight. You will feel healthier and psychologically better, but always remember you are not what you weigh. You are a whole person with emotions and experiences and an enormous amount of love to give.

That is the real you.

Joe

JoziX 07-19-2012 05:42 PM

Thank you very much for this message. I don't think I've ever really thought about it - but bullet point 3 it is completely true (for me at least). When I allow my weight to escalate, stop focusing on it, I tend to lose focus in other areas of life as well.

I think whatever caused me to stop focusing on my weight goals is also the cause of me losing focus in other areas, as opposed to weight gain being the direct cause. That being said, its important to have a daily reminder of goals and expectations if your're prone to to letting all your balls drop at once.

lumpy788 07-20-2012 02:14 AM

Hang in there, time is an enemy to us all. Getting fit definitely takes a lot of hard work and effort, but little improvements are the reward.This is where religious tracking of your numbers and fitday comes in handy. The scale is a horrible measure, but I still try to step on it once a week just to check. If you can get a local buddy to help you take some body measurements with a tape measure once every few weeks, that may help as well. I look forward to you sharing your progress and getting back to the point where you can be happy with yourself.

differentinside 07-20-2012 05:50 AM

Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by Borg-mx5 (Post 85765)
I thought I might give you a male perspective on your post.

1. This also happens to men. I recently went back and collected all my old bicycling jersys. Now if you don't know about bicycling clothes, they are generally skin tight and if you have a great body you can look amazing in them. I can't fit them anymore. Some of my dress clothes, nope, don't fit either. Here I am still wearing fat clothes and while I have lost some weight, I am not even one size down yet. I know it will take a long time. Men are vain.

2. You are being treated like a normal person. Believe me, men do not have high standards. I could and should write a book about how men respond to women. I work in a public environment which allows me to see what happens to every male when a great looking woman walks in. It is not the same as when an average woman walks in, and if you think men are judging you about how fat you are, think again. Men like women in all sizes. I know women feel better about themselves when they feel more attractive to the opposite sex, but then again so do men. I do not think I will ever be anyone's idea of a handsome guy, but I know I can do better. What both sexes find truly attractive is confidence and we should have that regardless of size.

3. I think you are putting the cart before the horse. I get upset when I do not have a clean home. I do it myself. I think that if you commit to getting your home in shape, you will find that you have more resolve to losing the weight. Accomplishments matter so get going on it.

4. I understand but your kids do come first. You must be a role model and example to them. I know it is hard. I raised two kids too. Most of the time I was fat and if I could, I would have done it for them. My mistake.

5. I hate photos in general, but especially when I am like this. In the film "The Matrix", they introduce the concept of "residual self image", that is we see ourselves as being in a fixed stage in our lives. I see myself thinner, younger and certainly with more hair. Every time I see myself in a photo or video, I am shocked. I think I should focus on the event being celebrated and the fact that I am there, not on how I look. Tough to do though.

I think you are probably much harder on yourself than others. I suspect you have a loving family and great friends who don't define you by your dress size.
Go ahead and lose weight. You will feel healthier and psychologically better, but always remember you are not what you weigh. You are a whole person with emotions and experiences and an enormous amount of love to give.

That is the real you.

Joe

Thank you so much for your response, Joe. Proving that not all men are jerks. I've been searching on the internet to find out what is and isn't attractive to men, and the first thing anyone says is "overweight gals need not apply!" It's like they have no hearts. They could be really missing out on something very beautiful because they only want a "cookie cutter" gal. I'm not looking for anyone, obviously, but just doing some research. I never attracted many guys that would admit it, but I never thought of myself as unattractive. My face has always been nice to look at, but maybe it's the confidence thing. Never did have much of that. Your last paragraph made my day. Just wanted to say thank you!

differentinside 07-20-2012 05:54 AM

Speaking of tracking fitness... Does anyone know if there is a faster way to record my food? I put one thing in and it takes like two minutes to record it, so it takes forever to record everything. Can I just put everything in at once? Ditto with daily activity.

Borg-mx5 07-20-2012 05:56 PM

You are most welcome. I can tell you that there is not one thing that men find attractive. My anthropology classes suggested that a human universal is a waist to hip ratio of .70. Men vary as do women. I would suggest that a universal for women is that their mate be taller than them. Now I could go into a nerdy discussion on the biological imperatives of all this, but I do not want to bore you. I know that men and women both want different things. Women especially seek security and men, well, men want to have lots of sex. As we grow older, our imperatives change somewhat but never really go away.

Now as for putting numbers into fitday. My observation is that the free version of fitday is slow because so many ads have to load up with each screen refresh (yes I am a recovering computer geek). I think the best way to enter foods quickly would be to create custom foods that are the result of several ingredients, sort of like a recipe. For example, I make a pork with green chili salsa. Now I can add this by entering the pork, potatoes, onions and salsa individually, but instead I create a recipe and then enter data for a portion size ( I use grams) for the recipe.
I don't know if this helps.
On final note on what men find attractive. Women, all women are amazing and I've never met one who did not have at least one thing attractive about them, what that thing is will change from person to person. I think God planned it that way.

canary52 07-21-2012 01:54 AM

I'm sorry but as a woman who's been heavier and thinner and as the mother of an overweight girl, I have seen that guys will go for thinner women more often than not, no matter what they say. Maybe it's a confidence thing but I've seen confident fat women passed over for insecure thin ones (for jobs and for men.) I'd love to tell my DD that the person you are inside is what counts but society will just beat the drums: thin, thin, thin. Even DH who claims to like women with "meat on their bones" fell for me when I was at one of my thinner points. And BTW the girls he points out are still on the thinner side by society's standards. Not that I'm bitter. It's just the reality, like it or not.

differentinside 07-21-2012 03:06 AM

Yes

Yep, canary, I agree, because I have seen the way men treated me when I was thin. I could tell I was getting fat simply because they were treating me differently. How predictable! Now, not all men are like that, I have seen a few golden ones, and most of the time they are with a lady that is a little less attractive (on the outside) but they are total sweethearts.
As for the sex thing, my husband would unfortunately look at porn than be with me. I don't understand that,but hey, he is over 300 pounds, so I'm thinking he's insecure as well. He won't talk about it, I hit a brick wall every time I bring it up. I went from having sex every day ten years ago with him to maybe once a month if I'm lucky? And he wonders why I'm such a grouch sometimes!:rolleyes:

canary52 07-21-2012 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by differentinside (Post 85823)
Yep, canary, I agree, because I have seen the way men treated me when I was thin. I could tell I was getting fat simply because they were treating me differently. How predictable! Now, not all men are like that, I have seen a few golden ones, and most of the time they are with a lady that is a little less attractive (on the outside) but they are total sweethearts.
As for the sex thing, my husband would unfortunately look at porn than be with me. I don't understand that,but hey, he is over 300 pounds, so I'm thinking he's insecure as well. He won't talk about it, I hit a brick wall every time I bring it up. I went from having sex every day ten years ago with him to maybe once a month if I'm lucky? And he wonders why I'm such a grouch sometimes!:rolleyes:

That sucks. I am so sorry. Yes it sounds like your husband is insecure or has issues. I hope you guys can work it out because there is sure to be resentment on your part whether you lose weight or not.

Borg-mx5 07-21-2012 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by differentinside (Post 85823)

Wow this is turning into a deep conversation and I will do my best to tread lightly. Yes, men have confidence issues too and things like age, weight, general health and alcohol can affect sexual performance. Men also think about sex a great deal but at least in my case, I am not saying "Too fat, Too thin, Just right". There is much more to developing a relationship than just sex. Now saying that, sex is always somewhere in the mix. I know that being overweight does make me less confident. Fortunately it does not stop me from having sex.

As for porn... I will admit to using it, but it does not replace my relationship. My GF and I have even each shared things that we thought were interesting and/or stimulating, but it is a very difficult thing to share. There is a lot of emotion at stake there. I would suggest that men use porn because it is easy; by that I mean there is no judgement involved. It is a fantasy fourm that does not ostensibly put you at risk.
On the negative side, it can be very damaging to relationships. You are engaging in a selfish enterprise that in many cases excludes the woman you love. A man may do this because he is secretly ashamed of the fantasies he has or maybe he does not want to be held accountable for his desires.
If possible, I would suggest you have a frank, open discussion with your mate. Ask to see what it is he is looking at and see if you can discuss why his interest in you had diminished. It may be condifence, or even the lack of confidence that you display. It may be other things. Of course if it is a serious problem, then professional counseling is an option. I know that most men would not accept this. After all, if they are too ashamed to share with their wife, they are not likely to share with a therapist.
I know that I can be a vain, sensitive, arrogant, condescending, spoiled creature. But I would also like to think I am not all bad. I also do not think I am too different from other men.

ToriD1012 07-21-2012 08:22 PM

I'm the odd one out with everyone else's replies (not really surprising to those who know me well), so I'll break it down point by point.

I've always LOVED fashion! Even at my heaviest I loved to shop. I could spend hours finding things, trying them on, etc etc. Even now that I'm considerably thinner it takes forEVER for to pick an outfit. I have to try pretty much my entire wardrobe on twice before picking something.

I've never had a problem attracting men. I think it's what Joe said, it's confidence. I've always thought highly of myself, and I never let my weight affect how I felt about who I am. I joke around with the guys at work, and in bars etc, just as much now as I did 75 lbs ago. It's about being comfortable in your own skin. People pick up on that whether you know it or not.

I still have problems keeping a "clean" house by my mother's standards. It is in no way shape or form dirty, but could be neater. Heavy, not so heavy, housework isn't my thing. And I won't get started on my car:o:o:o

4. My kids and I had fun when I was thin. We ran together. We went out and did things outside. Now the poor kids are subject to sit in the house becauseoverweight Mommy doesn't feel like doing anything. That's not fair. And now my older son is starting to put on pounds as well which is not good for him at all.

I don't have kids of my own, but I do have nieces and nephews that are like my own. I always have and always will do with them. I've never really been super inactive. I just had a problem with food.....I LOVE IT!!!!

photos don't bother me so much. They are what they are. They are of a point in my life that I look back on and say WOW, I did that to myself. I look back at them from time to time, especially when I'm having a particularly bad day (yes, I do have them...we all do) and I don't see the fat, ugly, disgusting person that I was. I look at them and see how far I've come. I use them as fuel to not get back to that unhealthy person. I still love who I was then though. They're memories of places I've been and things I've done, nothing more. They're a moment in time. Those moments can't be changed. And why would I want them to. Everything I've done, seen, and been a part of has shaped who I am today.

I think life is a struggle for everyone, overweight or not. We can't change how other people see things or what they think. We can change what WE think and how WE see things. My advice to you is this....stop caring what others think. Love who you are NOW, and who you're going to be when you reach goal. Cause you're MAGNIFICENT JUST HOW YOU ARE!

cjohnson728 07-22-2012 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by ToriD1012 (Post 85853)
I'm the odd one out with everyone else's replies (not really surprising to those who know me well), so I'll break it down point by point.

I have lots of thoughts about the posts here but every time I think about responding I become rambling.

However, I did just want to say, Tori, that I really admire your perspective and your insight, both about yourself and life in general. I always look forward to your posts. Plus, you remind me a lot of my niece, whom I love dearly. I am glad you're here.

FitnessFree 07-22-2012 04:39 AM

What do you do differently that you gained weight? Is it an eating problem or is it hormonal? or something else.

inflamesjester 07-28-2012 08:10 PM

Ok. Reading through most of these posts and regarding the way overweight people (both men AND women) are treated by the opposite sex is clearly evident. Being a guy that was 220 at one point and getting down to 150 ( I am now back up to 200 or as I like to call it the "she's not interested weight class) the weight itself is HUGE in the way either sex will treat or react to the other. Yes confidence plays a part, a pretty big part but weight plays a huge part also and for most people confidence is directly related to weight.

Everyone, men and women are attracted to fit, healthy bodies and that's the way it should be. Healthy should be a goal. It is for me and that is why I'm here. I was MUCH happier, confident and wanted when I was at a fit weight. Now I don't advocate treating anyone badly, as hope that I never do... but the laws of attraction are pretty clear, that both weight AND confidence play major roles in the way people are treated by others. To say that this practice is limited to just men is absolutely wrong as I can testify first hand ...

wildbeanerz 07-30-2012 07:59 AM

I just wanted to add my two cents...I do believe a lot of it has to do with confidence. I also even at over 350lbs was a fun girl to be around. Sure I didn't like how I looked but I still had guys that would flirt or try to hit on me. The reason? I was confident in who I was. My husband did (still does) always worry that I could get with any other guy that I want. He even told me one time something to the effect of "it doesn't matter what size you are...all a guy would have to do is talk to you and he'd want you." Awww for my hubby, I know but I do believe that confidence has lots to do with attracting the opposite sex.

ToriD1012 07-30-2012 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by inflamesjester (Post 86413)

Everyone, men and women are attracted to fit, healthy bodies

I disagree with this. Not EVERYONE is attracted to "fit, healthy bodies". My current BF actually prefers women with meat on their bones and told me that I could be 20 lbs heavier and I'd still be beautiful. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and everyone has a different "ideal"

inflamesjester 07-30-2012 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ToriD1012 (Post 86530)
I disagree with this. Not EVERYONE is attracted to "fit, healthy bodies". My current BF actually prefers women with meat on their bones and told me that I could be 20 lbs heavier and I'd still be beautiful. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and everyone has a different "ideal"

Of course not "everyone" is attracted to fit, healthy bodies, but the great majority of the population are, I was speaking in general and by "everyone" was mostly referring to the majority of men and women as this thread seems to point out that only men are biased to being attracted to fit and in shape people....Also, nowhere in my post did I say "rail thin people" either.. I don't think that is attractive or healthy. "meat on the bones" is a good thing, but I've never understood why we coddle the very overweight in this country. It is UNHEALTHY and is killing us! Attractiveness of the opposite sex is just a byproduct and a secondary concern of this appearance/lifestyle. Like I said above, I notice reactions of females when I (and friends of mine) are at "healthy weights" and when we are overweight and it is literally night and day.

This may be an unpopular opinion here, but I feel it is much more realistic and truthful of the general population and it has served as a kick in the butt for myself and a few friends to not only get healthier but also improve our quality of life. Coddling the very overweight does nothing but promote bad habits and a dangerous lifestyle. There is a difference between "healthy, active and a few extra pounds" and an unhealthy, unattractive diet/lifestyle and once again this goes for men AND women equally.

Borg-mx5 07-31-2012 09:13 AM

Checking on some statistics from the Centers for Disease Control, they indicate that 33.9% of adults 20 and over are obese. 34.4% are overweight but not yet obsese. Combine these two and you have a majority (68.3%) being either overweight or obsese. These people are still finding mates so weight cannot be a sole determinant under the "laws of attraction". In a previous post I had mentioned waist to hip ratio. I will try not to be too nerdy here. Men like curves and overweight and even obese women can have them. Men and women alike are attracted to signs of fitness for reproduction. This does not mean that you are looking to produce a child with everyone you are attracted to, but what we find attractive is based on our evolutionary past. Things like clear eyes in both sexes, broad shoulders in men and developed breasts in women are attractive. We like signs of health and reproductive fitness. A preteen female will have straight hips similar to a boy, but when she enters puberty, she will grow taller, her waist will narrow and her hips will flare, creating a shape that the male brain responds to. It indicates that she is reproductively ready. Now I am vastly over simplifing here and there are lots of other indicators. I am just saying that what you see in the mirror as being unattractive does not mean the opposite sex sees it as so. Also, of course, every individual has their preferences. There is no single standard of beauty, though the fashion industry would lead you to believe so.

I do not feel we "coddle" the overweight in this country. We live in a society where food is cheap and abundant. We have access to calories like no other society in history and again, our evolutionary past has much to do with our response to food. We have industries devoted to selling you as much of their food as possible and we are subjected to advertising constantly (fitday). Food is not just fuel either, there is a social aspect to sharing meals and a dieter will often feel deprived when they feel they are not fully participating in a social meal. This month was terrible for me diet-wise, but I had a couple of things to celebrate, I had a birthday and my daughter was released from jail. I monitored my calories and did not gain or lose weight, but I did not try to deny myself on special days. I knew what I was doing and I am ok with it.
There is huge pressure in this society to not only be at a healthy weight but to look a certain way. I feel for you ladies because the pressure is even greater than on men.
What motivates one person will not necessarily motivate another. We have to find our true path and if there are others supporting us along the way, that is even better.

inflamesjester 07-31-2012 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Borg-mx5 (Post 86586)
These people are still finding mates so weight cannot be a sole determinant under the "laws of attraction".

Once again, I feel my statements are being taken out of context. I never once said that being fit and healthy is a "sole determinant" for attraction, however, I feel it is just as important as confidence is when the majority of the population is concerned.

You mentioned that you do not believe we coddle the very overweight in this country and I couldn't disagree more. Not to offend anyone but a lot of that mentality resides in this very thread. I understand the reasons why so many are overweight, but, like in my case instead of having so many people tell me "oh you look fine"... blah blah (while that same girl then goes and talks up the guy 30-40 pounds lighter than me, lol), I wish people were more truthful... in a respectful way of course, I believe it would serve a good purpose to many.

If you were to take a poll of the 68.3 percent of obese/overweight people you mentioned and asked them 2 questions: 1) would you rather be lighter and more "in shape" and 2) would you rather your partner be fit and in shape or overweight, I don't have to tell you what the majority responses would be. If someone is a drug addict and it is affecting their health do you just say "oh that's just they way they are" or do you try to help them? Obesity kills MANY more people than drugs do a year. To deny the problem is to have your head in the sand and I can admit I did for awhile.

If attraction was the only factor here, then the discussion would be a moot point and not even worth it, but health, in this case is a MAJOR factor also. Constructive criticism instead of saying "well that's just the way we are here in the US because food is everywhere" is a more productive approach in my opinion. I wish someone would have taken that approach in my case months ago....

wildbeanerz 07-31-2012 11:47 PM

Everyone likes different body types. If they didn't then there would be a lot more single people in the world because only body type "A" would be spoken for.

The biggest thing that needs said here is regardless of whether you are losing weight to look good, attract a new mate, fit smaller jeans or whatever your reason....the side effect of that weight loss with be that you are a healthier person. And just to clarify simply being a thin person doesn't guarantee your health either. My own dad is 5'6" and about 155-160lbs. Very average built guy. Very active 60ish man. He has high cholesterol, is borderline diabetic and has had skin cancer. He has never been overweight. Never smoked one cigarette and I have never known him to take a sip of alcohol.

To compare being overweight with being a drug addict is not a very fair comparison. Did a drug addict need to start using drugs to live? Nope...didn't think so. But you do need to eat to live.

inflamesjester 08-01-2012 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz (Post 86620)
Everyone likes different body types. If they didn't then there would be a lot more single people in the world because only body type "A" would be spoken for.

The biggest thing that needs said here is regardless of whether you are losing weight to look good, attract a new mate, fit smaller jeans or whatever your reason....the side effect of that weight loss with be that you are a healthier person. And just to clarify simply being a thin person doesn't guarantee your health either. My own dad is 5'6" and about 155-160lbs. Very average built guy. Very active 60ish man. He has high cholesterol, is borderline diabetic and has had skin cancer. He has never been overweight. Never smoked one cigarette and I have never known him to take a sip of alcohol.

To compare being overweight with being a drug addict is not a very fair comparison. Did a drug addict need to start using drugs to live? Nope...didn't think so. But you do need to eat to live.

Couple things here.

1) No one ever said anything about health guarantees. Thin does not equal healthy, but very overweight NEVER equals healthier.

2) I understand people like different body types, but once again, the great majority prefers fit and healthy.

3) So, because a drug addict makes a bad choice they should be shunned while the person who CHOSE to eat way too much and become obese should be coddled? Because that's exactly what happens in our society. It is not "pc" to shun because of weight, but someone addicted to another substance is ostracized from society. No matter what the excuse, coddling either one of these activities leads to extremely high risk of poor health/death.

This horse has no skin left on it, lol, we have beat it to oblivion. No more arguing for me :)