Notices

New To Fit Day

Old 05-09-2012, 05:35 PM
FitDay Member

Default New To Fit Day

I am new to Fit Day and joined the site for more accountability with what I eat and support from those that understand. My mom has always struggled with her weight and was diagnosed with diabetes when I was in high school. That was a blessing in disguise. I learned early on about eating healthy and joined a weight loss support group with her. I lost over 30 pounds, reaching a much healthier BMI, and kept it off for about 10 years. Since this past November when I found a new and wonderful gym, I have lost some more lingering weight and inches while building tone muscle. However, despite reaching most of my goals, I still struggle with food - I'm addicted to it. I fight with episodes of binge eating and I only have one friend who takes what I told her about the problem seriously. Others don't know how hard it is to pass up junk food and feeling like you've lost control over what you're eating.
I'm hoping to help others with their demons and find support here for when I need it too.
- ZC
Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome! Logging everything into FitDay helps me deal with binge eating--I know it can be a challenge! I like to avoid my trigger foods when possible and have taken a zero tolerance stance on some things (like candy, pastries and the like) as history has shown that I can't be trusted to eat them responsibly.

I hope you stick around and let us know how you're doing.

Regards,
Michael
Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks, Michael! I can't have any sugary or salty junk food in the house and that has helped. I can open my cupboards over and over during a binge but if those foods aren't there, I can't eat them. My biggest trigger is potluck dinners with friends because there are bowls and platters and pans of unhealthy foods. I'm still looking for an effective strategy for that.
I noticed your signature with your weight loss numbers... Congratulations - you should be very proud!
- ZC
Old 05-10-2012, 08:15 AM
FitDay Member

You might consider taking some healthy foods to potlucks (veggie or fruit trays for example) then you always have a alternative to those higher calorie foods. Some people even try to eat before going (although I would just end up eating two meals that way.) My best strategy though is just knowing my calorie goal and understanding how every brownie or piece of cake will fit. I allow myself one helping (in moderation) and one desert at social events. That way I don't feel like I have deprived myself. I ate what I wanted just not as much as I used too.