Hi! 37 and need to lose 200lbs...no motivation :( >

Hi! 37 and need to lose 200lbs...no motivation :(

Community
Notices

Hi! 37 and need to lose 200lbs...no motivation :(

Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by liberatedmist
Hi! Glad to see that you have a "motivator"! That can be extremely helpful. I am training for a marathon right now and your starting mileage does sound fairly high, but if it works for you than great!

As a NEXT step in exercise I would suggest looking into Jeff Galloway's Run-Walk-Run method. I have used it in my training and it is FANTASTIC! Some "real" distance runners (like ultra marathoners) use it in races for the first few miles of a race as well. Basically you run for very short time spans (start at 10-20 seconds) and then walk. It will help you to log more miles than just running. I understand that you are just starting out with walking so I would continue that for a few more weeks before adding a few jogging sessions into your mileage.

As for motivation to lose, here is a trick that I like to do every once in a while. First, definitely make small goals. Start with 5 pounds or even smaller. When you get to that goal, put a backpack on a scale and add small items to it to reach 5 pounds (or whatever amount you lost). Wear the backpack around the house for an hour or two, doing everyday activities. When you take it off, take a deep breath, smile and realize your accomplishment. After your next mini goal, do the same thing with the total weight lost. (So if you lost another 2 pounds, put 7 pounds total in the bag). It makes me feel like I just lost all that weight that second when I take off the backpack. Plus it is fun to look at the items I put in the bag and say, "I lost 2 gnomes, a small camera, a clock radio, and 3 candles so far!"

Good luck on your adventure!
That is such a cute idea, I love it!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:18 AM
FitDay Member

"I lost 2 gnomes, a small camera, a clock radio, and 3 candles so far!"

LOL That is awesome! Love it!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 AM
FitDay Member

Lizzjo,

Sounds like you are doing well! Congratulations on your decision. I want to share something that I found to be very important for me, besides diet, besides exercise. It came to me when I was exercising alone. My initial exercise companion had long ago fallen by the wayside and I was in this alone... no more workout buddy, just me and my walks. I came to realize that I truly am worth the time, the energy and the expense to do this for myself. There might be a time when your workout partner is too busy, or even no longer is motivating! Remember to workout your mind too. Sort through the "mental junk", dedicate your time in preparing your foods, working out, to YOU. Treat yourself as the much loved person that you are.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 AM
FitDay Member

lol....I'm glad you guys like the backpack idea!

Another suggestion with your walking is to possibly join a running club. Depending on your area, you may have a good club. The club that I belong to has MANY walkers and many people that are just beginning. We even have a smaller group within the group for the BOP (Back Of the Pack). The advantage to joining a club is that they meet regularly and supply tons of motivation. For instance....we have a Saturday morning breakfast group. They meet downtown, walk 2-3 miles and then the club provides some healthy snacks for breakfast. Don't be afraid to ask your local running club if they are walker friendly!! The walkers even enter 5K and local races and simply walk them together. Having a group of people waiting for you (like your motivator is doing for you now) can be very helpful in continuing to exercise. :-)
Old 05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
FitDay Member

hello Lizz! I'm new here too! I feel sorry for your struggle with anxiety and depression, however, I'm very glad for you that you have taken the first steps towards gaining control back! My advice to you is to start slllooooowwwwllllyyyy.... Try to make more conscious choices about your diet at first, but do not cut back! ...the reason why I am saying this is because you need to start doing some kind of light physical activity and thus need extra energy (food) in order to maintain your regimen! By doing this, you will speed up your metabolism because your body will not feel ''starved'' from doing exercises. Eventually, you might find your appetite/hunger starting to regulate itself and maybe your growing confidence might enable you to make healthier food choices! But remember - the important thing is to keep moving!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:04 AM
FitDay Member

Wink Hope you still motivated!

Hi-
I am 38 (yesterday) and I have a hard time getting motivated too! Let's check in with eachother and keep eachother accountable! Are you still logging in each day?
Old 05-13-2012, 11:32 AM
FitDay Member

Motivation can be hard. One good thing about fitday for me is that I'm actually keeping track of everything I'm eating.

A big pitfall is hunger. Hunger will sap your will because it's an actual physical pain instead of a mere craving. Eating lots of fiber and drinking lots of water should help with that.