Notices

New here and finally got motivated

Old 03-03-2012, 04:30 AM

Default New here and finally got motivated

Hi. I have been working my way around the site for a little over a week and just discovered the forums. Thought I'd introduce myself and see if anyone would like to partner up.

I am 40, a stay at home mom of 4 (11, 12, 16, 21) and VERY overweight. I've always had issues with my weight, but the past few years it's gotten way out of control. My major downfall started when I began taking some meds several years ago and gained 60 lbs in about 4 months. I am no longer taking that particular med, but others I'm on still don't help. My meds are a long story, but basically I have run out of options and what I'm on now is what I'm staying on, so I have to deal with it.

I'm only 5"nothing and started at 275. I just recently saw a regular dr. for the first time in many years and he's concerned about my high cholesterol and sugar. I just can't stand myself anymore and don't want even more meds to take if it's something I can control. So that's what I need to do...gain control.

I'm about 6 lbs down in just a few weeks. I cut 5000 calories/week out of my diet by switching to diet soda (dr.'s recommendation) so hopefully that will put a bandaid on the bleed. I have been micro-managing everything I eat with fitday, and I love it. It is keeping right in my face everything I am doing and putting in my mouth, which is what I need.

I don't get out much. In fact, I am a recovering agoraphobic. So the internet is my lifeline to socialization and keeping in contact with people.

I also just quit smoking...on day 22 of being smoke free. It's easy to gain weight when you stop smoking, and I think the first week was pretty bad. But then I came back to reality and that's when I found fitday. Have been doing pretty good since then.

Exercise is my hardest thing...to get moving on a regular basis. So that's me in a nutshell. Hoping to make new friends that I can go on this journey with.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:53 AM
FitDay Member

Hi! Welcome aboard! (haha, I couldn't help myself!) I am glad that you found the forums. There are a lot of great people here who offer more motivation than you could imagine. It's one of the many reasons I have fallen in love with FitDay. No one is here to judge, and we're all here to help. If you haven't yet, make sure you read through the Best of Series. Vito did a great job compiling all the info, and I haven't even gotten around to reading it all yet There is a wealth of information to be found around here. If you can't find it in the Best of's all you have to do is ask, I'm sure someone here has the answer. Also, be sure to check out the Women's Forum. We have a 7 Day Motivational Thread that starts every Monday. It is "stickied" to the top of the forum each week so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. It's a way to make goals for ourselves and help keep each other motivated and accountable. The goals are your own. You make as many or as few as you want, and they can be as easy or as difficult as you want too. I started out fairly easy and normally try to add as the weeks go by.

I hear you on the diet soda! I am a Diet Mountain Dew fanatic! Personally it's a goal of mine to cut out as much soda as possible (diet or otherwise). Even diet soda will make you retain water. So my advice is to drink as much water in a day as you can. I am horrible at drinking water, but I force myself to get at least 64 oz a day. As far as exercise goes, I struggle STILL. Being a SAHM there are plenty of things you can do to get your exercise in. Shoot, I know that I'm exhausted after a day of deep cleaning the house! I guess that's about all. I really hope that you stick around and jump right into the threads. I don't tell people good luck on their journeys, because I don't think luck has anything to do with it. I always say Best Wishes!!

Hope to see you around!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

For exercise indoors, check out the Royal Canadian Exercise of Physical Fitness program:

Amazon.com: royal canadian air force exercise plans for physical fitness paperback: Books

Yikes! That paperback look expensive - see if you can borrow it from the library instead, or find it at a used book sale, because you'd just be 'trying it out,' not marrying it!

Years ago, I did this program, all indoors, because I had the commitment at the time to getting in shape. It is extremely gradual. You have a very limited set of simple exercises which you start at just a few repetitions each. Nothing so complicated that you might wonder if your form is correct. You do x number of reps for y number of days. You keep track of it - fitday would be the perfect tool to help you stay on track - and the authors very slowly change the number of reps (x). It takes awhile but you will have improved your cardiovascular fitness and strengthened muscles. As I recall, I felt very fit and much better about my body when I was near the end of the program. It's something you can live with, too, if it becomes a habit. There's even a section that is a trifle more demanding (but the same gradual idea) if you feel you're ready and want that.

It was a great, simple idea. Now, if I can just find my old dog-eared tattered paperback. Who knew those things would actually gain in value!