Community
Notices

Newbie here!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:31 AM
FitDay Member

Wink Newbie here!

Hey there, I've been a member of FitDay for a while now but I never really gave it a real chance. I'm struggling with my weight since high school. I'm 24 years old, 5'4" and currently weight around 165lbs. My highest was 204 but that was years ago. I had gone down to 160lbs before Christmas but... you know how holidays go... I'm happy to not have gained more. I lost weight with various diets. Two that I was successfull on was the Fat Smash Diet & 17 Day Diet. I do great the first time I try a diet but once I'm off of them, I have a hard time starting them again which is why I'm searching for something that doesn't feel like I'm dieting but actually taking care of my body by eating healthy. I was about to order HCG drops the other day but my boyfriend convinced me not to and to watch what I ate and exercise. He's right! I need to stop looking for quick fix and work this out the healthy way. I'm starting this journey at 165lbs and hoping to get to 135-140. Don't remember the last time I've been at that weight. I don't have much support from my boyfriend because he doesn't feel like I need to lose weight so any support I can get elsewhere (like on FitDay! ) would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to point out, I don't like exercising (not many does!) and this is one part I want to add in my life. I want to be active because I'm planning on becoming a dog trainer and I need to be on my feet alot.

I don't have kids but I have a boyfriend that acts like on (HAHA, just kidding). We bought a house together. We aren't married yet and this is also another goal of mine (to lose weight before he proposes). I also want to wear a bathing suit and feel comfortable in my skin.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

Hi there, welcome to the boards! I'd like to say, first, KUDOS on losing those 40-ish lbs. to get where you are. That's no small feat, and don't let yourself forget it!

You know, I'm like you. I often don't really like to exercise. I don't get a rush while doing it, etc. like many do. But you know what I do like? HAVING DONE it. I like looking back and going "Eff yeah, I just busted that out." That is my little rush, if it helps at all. It's worth it to just push through and then feel like a boss afterwards (as MH would say!)

It also matters to me that I do an exercise that doesn't completely feel like work. Eventually I've found Zumba, which I do at home on DVD. I still don't completely enjoy myself, but it goes quickly and it has enough different things to do that I'm engaged throughout. That's enough for me I also find it is a stress reliever. So find something that's at least not-boring for you and go from there. When you enjoy your exercise, it's a bonus, but finding one you can at least tolerate is a step in the right direction. You also don't have to go all-out crazy-go-nuts. Start small, 15 minutes, 20 minutes. Let it become a habit for you and build up.

I'll tell ya something about boyfriends, too. Mine said he loved me just as I was when I was 215 lbs., but losing the weight to being around 160 now has had him complimenting me, telling me I look awesome, giving me moony glances, etc. that I hadn't had in a very long time. It's a nice perk, and even though I know he loves me either way, being appreciated in a smaller body doesn't hurt!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 04:42 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Welcome, sophiecormier!

We have a terrific Women's forum here where I'm sure you'll find all the support you'd like, as well as the other forums.

You'll also find all the tools and resources you'll need here, in our little corner of the internet in order to meet your weight goals, and to help with your transition into a healthier lifestyle.

A good way to get situated with both the Discussion Board and FitDay program is to visit this link:

FAQ's/Newbie Q & A, How To's, & Supporting Links

And, we have a really nice list of resource threads here, called out "FitDay Best of Series":

FitDay Discussion Boards - Threads Tagged with fitday best of series

If you have any additional questions we are glad to assist.

Lastly, we'd enjoy having you "stick around" the Forum. We have a close-knit community that is active and encouraging.

Best wishes!
Old 01-27-2012, 04:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by taubele
Hi there, welcome to the boards! I'd like to say, first, KUDOS on losing those 40-ish lbs. to get where you are. That's no small feat, and don't let yourself forget it!

You know, I'm like you. I often don't really like to exercise. I don't get a rush while doing it, etc. like many do. But you know what I do like? HAVING DONE it. I like looking back and going "Eff yeah, I just busted that out." That is my little rush, if it helps at all. It's worth it to just push through and then feel like a boss afterwards (as MH would say!)

It also matters to me that I do an exercise that doesn't completely feel like work. Eventually I've found Zumba, which I do at home on DVD. I still don't completely enjoy myself, but it goes quickly and it has enough different things to do that I'm engaged throughout. That's enough for me I also find it is a stress reliever. So find something that's at least not-boring for you and go from there. When you enjoy your exercise, it's a bonus, but finding one you can at least tolerate is a step in the right direction. You also don't have to go all-out crazy-go-nuts. Start small, 15 minutes, 20 minutes. Let it become a habit for you and build up.

I'll tell ya something about boyfriends, too. Mine said he loved me just as I was when I was 215 lbs., but losing the weight to being around 160 now has had him complimenting me, telling me I look awesome, giving me moony glances, etc. that I hadn't had in a very long time. It's a nice perk, and even though I know he loves me either way, being appreciated in a smaller body doesn't hurt!!!
Thanks! I didn't realize how much I had lost until you pointed it out. Even though it took a while to get off, it's a lot!

I think I might do Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. It's a bit intense but it isn't a long workout which I like (around 30 mins). I know what you mean about feeling good afterwards. I need to remember that feeling when I don't want to do a workout one day. I have a game on my xbox 360 (kinect) Dance Central. I haven't played much with it and I know I would probably love it if I play with it often and get the moves right.

What I think about my boyfriend is that he's scared that if I lose the weight that I'll leave him. He's overweight too. I used to be tiny when we started going out. I already told him I was doing this to feel better about myself and to be healthy. I'm not planning on running off on him. He knows but I think he has doubts...
Old 01-27-2012, 05:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino

Welcome, sophiecormier!

We have a terrific Women's forum here where I'm sure you'll find all the support you'd like, as well as the other forums.

You'll also find all the tools and resources you'll need here, in our little corner of the internet in order to meet your weight goals, and to help with your transition into a healthier lifestyle.

A good way to get situated with both the Discussion Board and FitDay program is to visit this link:

FAQ's/Newbie Q & A, How To's, & Supporting Links

And, we have a really nice list of resource threads here, called out "FitDay Best of Series":

FitDay Discussion Boards - Threads Tagged with fitday best of series

If you have any additional questions we are glad to assist.

Lastly, we'd enjoy having you "stick around" the Forum. We have a close-knit community that is active and encouraging.

Best wishes!
Thanks for the welcome! I'll be sure to read through these links.