Community
Notices

Hi everyone

Old 01-22-2012, 04:28 PM
FitDay Member

Ok the Spamley. I had to think of a name and my brother has recently acquired a dog called Stanley. We all thought daft name and I questioned it as being Spamley its a cross between Stanley and a family surname from the past.
Thanks for the welcome. I am building up some courage!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:41 PM
FitDay Member

The delay in getting my issues out there has been due to building up a lot of courage to face what is ahead. I didn't realise I had to put it all down first off. I didn't mean it to sound like I just wanted to "take" from all of you. I'm sorry it came across that way. I don't feel I have much to offer by way of support but I did feel that the people on this forum are incredible for their achievements and needed to mention that. I also feel the weight issue has got so out of hand its probably impossible for me to get anywhere. Finding this forum is showing me that that's not the case. Hence my questions. Sorry.
My goals. Well, I have to remove as much as possible that could be causing my knee pains. Its so painful to walk on getting up from a chair or in the mornings. I'd like to loose 140lbs which would leave me a bit more to loose. I want to do it properly over a period of time. I think I have a realistic view of how long this could take and thats fine. As long as it takes, so long as I can maintain keeping it off. I am about to join the gym, something I have done before and it worked really well for a time. Then it gets busy and its difficult to fit it in. We have dogs and I walk them fine so I do cope with the knee pain, once I warm up it goes but it does return afterwards. Having looked back through photos recently - so much has changed and I'd like to try and get back to the person who looked like they had a lot more energy. I can see if I don't do something I will end up needing help to get around or worse. I hope that says a bit about myself.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:45 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I have very bad knees, one of them has been taken apart and reassembled, twice. I can definitely say that my knee pain has gotten better with a lower weight, but not that it has gone away completely. The difference for me is that when my knees hurt now, it's almost always a change in the barometric pressure. So when I ache I check the weather forecast before I work out. If there is bad weather coming I workout in some pain, because I know that it's from inflammation, not an injury, and it will go away once the low pressure system passes. Every so often it aches from something I did to it, and when that's the case I'll do upper body and/or abs for a day or two, and give it time to heal. Another thing that helps my joints feel better is water, and plenty of it. Sodium in your diet can also cause water retention (swelling), so cutting back on it might also be beneficial for your knees.
Thank you for the reply and taking the trouble. Its reassuring to know things can be improved, I had thought it was beyond hope i have so much weight to shift. I feel now I can do something about it. Really appreciate your reply.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:22 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Spamly ~
* Facing the Facts, like you are doing, is so important. Good for you on this point!

In some ways, I don't want to know what I'm feeding myself, but on the other hand - how am I to change for the better if I remain ignorant? Logging in my food has been an eye opener for me. I think it will be the same for you as well.

*Finding Hope ~ I know what it's like not to have hope and I think maybe that's what you were trying to do is to see if there was anyone in your same position that made progress????? Anyhow, I too needed that spark of hope that it's possible to change. You can make that U-turn in life for the better. FitDay, I believe, is a wonderful tool as you plug in activity and nutrition. It's a picture of our lifestyle.

*Action ~ I like your thought & understanding that you're making a lifestyle change. We don't do everything at once - at least I don't.

Breaking my goals down into manageable, functionable & specific, reasonable goals is sooo important. Also, I'm one who tends not to be flexible & don't like to change goals. But as you see in my signature, that's something I'm working on.

I look at my goals weekly & see if I need to change something. I like to listen (read) advice from Vito, Mike, Mern and on & on. I take what fits for me & go on forward. There are so many ideas around here. Another reason I love FitDay. I enjoy the 7-day Motivational Thread. It helps me to put my daily/weekly goals out there.

I like how you are deciding to move forward with your health. I'm glad that you see hope glimmering in the horizon. Hold onto hope as you journey onward.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:15 AM
FitDay Member

Well thank you! I appreciate the help and support and take on things. I love that you have made progress, its brilliant and you must feel great. I'm so glad you have decided to do something before it gets to the point I have let it get. You can do it!
L
Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 AM
FitDay Member