Galvanised into action!

Community
Notices

Galvanised into action!

Old 12-03-2011, 09:01 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb Galvanised into action!

Hi all,

Like many here, I guess I've been turning a blind eye to slow but steady weight increase over the years. It was relentless and insidious and I knew I was feeling the effects but I felt powerless to do anything about it.

Mid July this year changed everything. My doctor diagnosed me with diabetes type 2, having watched me hover around the pre-diabetes mark for several years, I also had high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

It was like a bolt out of the blue and came as an incredible shock. So I was deadly serious when I asked him how I should tackle the problem. He said I HAD to lose weight (as he had said many times before) and this time it HAD to work. His prescription was deceptively simple - no carbs (not that he gave me any further help or support apart from that so I was left to find out more by myself)

I didn't know about MDA then so I signed up with Tesco's eDiet programme and chose the Low Carb plan. That was on July 26th. I got a daily menu which I could print out and I really stuck to it.

At the end of the first week I had lost four pounds, at the end of the second, five and at the end of the third week another four pounds. For the first time in my life I was gobsmacked to find that I actually DID have the tools to control my diet. I had always felt powerless before and believed that I couldn't lose significant weight.

Having reached 13 stone 4lbs and being only 5 feet tall, I was a small fat middle-aged lady who disliked exercise. So I decided that I had to start with baby steps in the form of half an hour's walking every day. Then I read that the best time for a brisk walk is before breakfast because the body then starts using the liver's glycogen supplies quicker than if you eat first.

Honestly, if you'd told me this time last year that by December 2012 I would be walking twice every day, briskly, for half an hour, not eating bread/potatoes/pasta/rice/noodles/pastry/cakes/biscuits, have dropped nearly two and a half stones in weight and have 'in-grown' 90% of my clothes, I would have said you were mad.

But, amazingly, that is what happened.

My last two sets of blood tests came back absolutely fine - everything was normal and the practice nurse said that, if I didn't already have a diagnosis of diabetes, there would be no reason to diagnose me on my current results. I appreciate that diabetes is going to be a factor for the rest of my life but now I now how I can manage it, I feel much more positive.

I gave up the Tesco eDiet because it was a paid plan and quite expensive. However, it was a good start and it gave me momentum. But now I've found FitDay, I know that I can continue to monitor my diet and exercise effectively and be part of a much large community of like-minded people.

Glad to be here

Armorel
Old 12-08-2011, 01:20 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome to FitDay, Armorel.

Congratulations on your great progress so far. It's wonderful how you battled diabetes with good diet and exercise. Keep up the good work!