Notices

Well Its got to start somewhere!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:36 PM
FitDay Member

Default Well Its got to start somewhere!

Just came back from the Doctors & I've been totally humiliated!.. Now I know I'm over weight but to be told it the way he did was totally unfair.

My Husband is always on Forums so I figure I'd give it a go & see if it helps.

I'm a 31 yr old stay at home mum of 4, my eldest is 13 & youngest isn't yet 2). My weight has always been an issue as I am a terrible comfort eater & because of that I'm also a yo-yo dieter. I'm the first to admit I have NO will power what so ever when it comes to dieting but I do like to be as active as I can. It gets to me as I eat less than my husband & their is NOTHING of him.. slightly frustrating! Well thats kind of me.. theirs more to the story, as their is with everyone but I don't want to go into it all just now.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:56 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome! Take a look around the forums and you'll find lots of folks happy to lend advice and support. Sorry to hear about the Drs. poor bedside manner--perhaps it's time to look elsewhere?

Regards,
Michael
Old 11-15-2011, 01:28 AM
FitDay Member

Sounds like your doctor needs a refresher in manners. Mine once told me that he couldn't believe my bloodwork was pristine, as if he expected me to be diabetic or have high cholesterol. I looked him in the eye and said "Just because I am fat, doesn't mean I am sick." He was a little put off by it but he watched his comments from then on.

There is much support and love to be found in these forums. There is a thread in the women's only section where we post goals and achievements. The name of it changes weekly but it is the 7 day motivational thread. You might like that when you are more comfortable jumping into forum conversation.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

I know I'll get booed for this but...

Some doctors don't have the best bedside manners but I'd bet the way he handled it is why you are here wanting to lose weight. If that's the case then it's working. His job as a doctor is to try to get you healthy. If this is a doctors that you've been seeing for quite some time then he already knows that your weight has always been an issue and his approach in the past wasn't working. just my .02

Welcome to the forums!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:02 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Mike. Many of us needed a hurtful comment or question to realize how low we had sunk. Use the negative to motivate you toward a better, healthier future. Take responsibility for your self, stop making excuses and deal with the hand you have been dealt. I am constantly amazed by other Fitday members who have overcome physical disabilities, health issues and the culture of obesity in their families to become healthy, fit and happy individuals. Most of us have an easy path compared to these heroes.
Welcome to Fitday, may you have much success and never forget where you started from.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:26 AM
FitDay Member

I've been right where you are standing only my doctor never said a word about my weight she let me live in the land of deep denial way too long. I was told that I was obese in front of my entire family by a video game on Christmas morning . Dunk dunk dunk, you're obese. Talk about a joy kill. You gotta love the Wii for honesty anyway. I suppose Mike does have a point, sometimes it takes an eye opener to see things clearly, unfortunately the truth is often painful. At least you've acknowledged that you have an issue, that's really the first step. I also endorse mcduff's take on don't get mad, get motivated. Shortly after I'd begun this journey, we attended a funeral for my BIL's father. It was pretty awful to think that both of his parents are gone, and he's 12 years my junior. I don't want my kids to be in those shoes, not for a good long while. That was plenty of motivation right there, the kids.

As for willpower I have terrible trouble there myself, but I have discovered that if I can eliminate wheat from my diet in the morning and afternoon that I don't get really hard cravings throughout the day. I'm a textbook carbaholic, so I wake up starving and when I eat grains, there will be a carb crash later in the day. It's best for my diet if that happens overnight, so I stay away from grain until at least 3:00-4:00 pm.

Don't even get me started on how unfair it is that men can eat more and never gain an ounce. My husband lost weight every time I got pregnant, the nerve of some people. It is what it is, just tell yourself that at least you will still be able to grow hair on the top of your head at 80. It still doesn't make it fair, but it's more tolerable that way.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:15 AM
FitDay Member

Hi and welcome!

Sometimes it takes something hurtful/horrible for something wonderful/great to begin. Congrats to you for deciding to take a step in the positive direction for a healthier you.

Only two months ago, I was in the hospital looking at possible brain surgery because I had lost my vision suddenly and they thought I had a possible aneurysm. After many tests, a spinal tap and a cranial angiogram-they diagnosed me with an atypical migraine. Thank God it wasn't something more serious but I saw this as an opportunity to take control of my health. I do not want to leave my two yr. old son and husband behind because of my poor health choices. So, focus on the positive and remember it is a marathon, not a sprint.

Regarding willpower--I don't have much of it either but the more you log and work hard to meet your nutritional goals, your will to meet your goals may be stronger than your will for comfort food, especially when you start seeing results.

Again, welcome!