New member; new me!

Community
Notices

New member; new me!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

Default New member; new me!

Hi everyone,

I was told about this site by my doctor, who is monitoring my health right now. I had a pretty big health scare about a month ago that ended up being nothing but an opportunity for me to reevaluate my life and move forward a new, healthier, and happier me. I was entering my food journal old-school style with a spiral notebook and a pen but this seems a lot more fun being able to connect with so many others who can understand and share in your story.

My weight loss story seems never ending. I have been struggling with my weight for over ten years and it all started when I was diagnosed with thyroid disease. I have used that as an excuse for way too long as to why I was gaining weight and not losing weight. At my heaviest, I was around 230lbs. I am currently 202 and am hoping this is the week I get under 200. I have a weigh-in at my doctor's tomorrow!

I wish you all much success and am excited about this journey! .

Mel
Old 10-31-2011, 06:36 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome Mel! Sounds like you got a wake up call. That is what it takes for some people. I would wish you good luck on your weigh in tomorrow at the doctor but luck really doesn't have anything to do with all the hard work that this journey takes.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:35 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mrosesavage
I was told about this site by my doctor....I was entering my food journal old-school style with a spiral notebook and a pen but this seems a lot more fun being able to connect with so many others who can understand and share in your story
Yes, I can relate to your story. I would have never heard about this site if my physician wouldn't have told me to check in with a diatition. Now I find myself writing down any labes I can get my hands on, just so I can add them to list of foods on here. I must admit I now spend more time on here then facebook.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:17 PM
FitDay Member

I'm also new here, and reading your post hit home for me. I too struggle with thyroid disease. And I have for way too long rationalized that I'd always be overweight due to "my condition" and the fact that genetically I'm prone to being overweight. But I woke up this morning determined to do something about it. All it took was standing on the scale in tears realizing that I am at my heaviest. It's a horrible feeling, but I am for the first time ever, really determined to get a handle on a life long problem. Good luck on your journey.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:35 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome Tori!

I wish you much success. Having thyroid disease also, you understand how much harder we have to work for our bodies to let go of weight. We can do it, it just takes a little longer. I have to constantly remind myself that this is a lifestyle change and to be focused on healthy decisions and the weight will come off...it is a marathon, not a sprint. Stay determined and you will see results. I am in week 4 and I have lost 6 lbs ( I am finally under 200) and I have another weigh in tomorrow but more importantly, I am feeling a million times better!

Good Luck!
Mel
Old 11-07-2011, 01:18 PM
FitDay Member

Congrats on hitting the 100s!! I have a really long way to go to get to that point, but one day at a time, one pound at a time is how I'm going to have to approach this thing. It's just nice to actually talk to someone who understands. I have overweight friends who say that they do, but they're not overweight with a giant T stamped on their forehead signifying thyroid issues on top of weight issues. It's completely frustrating, but it's just the hand that I was dealt. I have two options---1) I can throw in the towel and die an early death or 2) I can fix it. Of those options, I choose #2.

Again, CONGRATS on making it out of the 200s!!! Well wishes for continued success on your journey!

Tori
Old 11-08-2011, 12:17 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome, I recently signed up too, Sept my doctor told me to join WW, I chose to join this site instead, I have lost 20 pounds pretty fast from putting my food in the diary. Now I seem to slowed down suddenly, so I guess I have to add walking in. I am 210 now need to be 154 according to bmi charts. I need all the support I can get to keep going. I love carbs my worst enemy.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Gailflorida
Welcome, I recently signed up too, Sept my doctor told me to join WW, I chose to join this site instead, I have lost 20 pounds pretty fast from putting my food in the diary. Now I seem to slowed down suddenly, so I guess I have to add walking in. I am 210 now need to be 154 according to bmi charts. I need all the support I can get to keep going. I love carbs my worst enemy.

I too thought about joining WW, but for financial reasons I couldn't afford to. I'm trying to save for a down payment on a house, so every penny counts. I am currently on day 4 here, and at first it seems like a lot of work, inputting everything into the food diary, luckily I also downloaded the iPhone app, so I can keep up with it on the go. I'm sure after a few weeks it'll all be like second nature. This first week, I'm trying to concentrate on cutting the junk food and soda out of my diet. I've weaned myself to one Diet Mountain Dew a day from probably 3 a day. I've had some caffeine withdrawls and the headaches that go with it, but other than that, I'm doing good so far. I'm not really on any kind exercise plan, I'm just trying to get used to eating better and keeping up with what I'm putting into my body. Once I get that down, I'll probably start walking. I also love yoga, so I might get a DVD and do that too, not sure yet.

According to the BMI charts, I should also be around 150 lbs, so we must be of similar height. Standing on the scale on day one at 255 lbs, 150 looks a LONG way away, but I've just go to keep chugging along. Or as Dory from Finding Nemo said "just keep swimming, just keep swimming....". It's hard at first, but I know that if I don't do something now, I'll never do it. I plan on checking the discussion boards often, so I look forward to hearing from you soon. If you're anything like me, you can use all the encouragement you can get.

JUST KEEP SWIMMING!
Tori
Old 11-09-2011, 12:41 PM
FitDay Member

Once you get your "routine foods" put in, you'll most likely use your "recent foods" quite often. Welcome to Fitday. I love it here.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by frenchhen3
Once you get your "routine foods" put in, you'll most likely use your "recent foods" quite often. Welcome to Fitday. I love it here.
I'm starting to get the hang of imputting my foods, I just hate having to keep creating custom foods because I can't find what I'm looking for when I browse the ones on the site. Fortunately I DO eat a lot of the same foods daily, so that helps. And once I get most of the foods that I eat on a semi-regular basis in my customs, I'll be good to go. It's one of the reasons I'm focusing solely on tracking my food and calories first, then adding some sort of work out regimen later. So far I love it here too....the discussion boards are a WONDERFUL tool for encouragement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.