Learning to EAT to LIVE not Live to EAT >

Learning to EAT to LIVE not Live to EAT

Community
Notices

Learning to EAT to LIVE not Live to EAT

Old 10-22-2011, 09:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default Learning to EAT to LIVE not Live to EAT

Hi my name is Vickey I am 53 yrs old and have weight issues most my life.
I would lose weight only to gain it back
But now I have no choice but to change my eating habits.
I was taken to the ER in June was in a coma state for 5 days after many tests and 80 lbs of fluid built up in my abd. they found I had liver failure due to autoimmune disease related cirrohis more than half of my liver is damaged beyond repair so I will be needing a liver transplant in the future.
They have put me on a low-low salt/low sugar/low fat/ and protein is to consist of eggs-some dairy( if it follows other guidelines)-beans-veggie products- and protein drinks such as sugar free Ensure.
This is definetly the hardest diet I have ever had to do and to accept and live with the fact that it is a lifestyle change not just a temporary one.
Well 3 1/2 months later I have lost the 80 lbs fluid through procedures and an additional 47 lbs on my own.
Excercise is what I also need to focus on as everything I have lost is sagging and swaying They have just this week allowed me to start doing light excercising.
I don't think all the excercise in the world is going to help with the sagging and swaying but at least now I don't have to suck in my weight I have to tuck it in.

I have been journaling on Fitday since 2003 and have found it to be helpful and am loving the fact that now there is forums on here where there wasn't before when I journaled.
Am looking forward to reading every ones success stories and getting the encouragement and motivation to make this journey I must take.

my weight in June was 234lbs went up to 314ls(due to liver)
today is 183.2 lbs
goal weight 140lbs
Old 10-22-2011, 10:22 AM
FitDay Premium Member

High Vickey,
Welcome! Oh geez, I am so sorry to read about your very serious health problems. Wow, I guess you are getting a 2nd chance and sure looks like you don't plan to waste it.

Since you are an old hand at the logging side of FitDay - I'm so glad you found the forums. There is tons of support, laughs, and virtual hugs here.

Even at our age, we can do some stuff to reduce the saggy-waggy. Exercise will definitely help. And although it isn't quite the miracle the manufacturers claim, I've found that the "firming" skin lotion does help. It takes a while, but you might find it worth trying.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
High Vickey,
Welcome! Oh geez, I am so sorry to read about your very serious health problems. Wow, I guess you are getting a 2nd chance and sure looks like you don't plan to waste it.

Since you are an old hand at the logging side of FitDay - I'm so glad you found the forums. There is tons of support, laughs, and virtual hugs here.

Even at our age, we can do some stuff to reduce the saggy-waggy. Exercise will definitely help. And although it isn't quite the miracle the manufacturers claim, I've found that the "firming" skin lotion does help. It takes a while, but you might find it worth trying.
Thanks for the warm welcome. God truly gave me a second chance and after seeing my DH and sons go through that I never want to put them through that again if I can help it.
I will take all the support,laughs, and virtual hugs gladly.
I am not allowed to use any over the counter drugs even my moisturizer because it can be absorbed into the skin and effect the liver. But thanks for suggesting.
I think I will pull out out old Richard(Simmons) and see if he can help my saggy,baggy,flappy skin.

I am loving reading every ones successes and hope to be able to encourage and motivate others as they encourage and motivate me.

BTW congrats on your weight loss and keeping it off.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:17 AM
FitDay Member

Talking

Yesterday went really good ate healthy and within my allowed amounts of calories-fats-sugars-sodium and protein.
As I stated this is really hard as everything has sodium in it ,if it doesn't than they add sugar to give it a flavor. And doing protein from veggies -dairy and protein drinks (I use Ensure).

Didn't sleep last night but am doing good today. It feels good to have a little stamina back so I used my vent up energy to clean house after 3 1/2 months of my DH and DS cleaning it needs it but will take a while to clean as I do get tired very easy.

If all goes well medically we have a Disney World vacation coming up in Dec.
Talk about hard it will definetly be trying to eat on plan in Mickeyland where everything is so YUMMY. But I too have that planned out , I am going to pack food to take with us (as we don't rent a car to go to grocery store) and can eat salads, fruits. yogurts and some counter service areas serve garden burgers which I am aloud.
But watching DH eat will test my will power.....wondering how many calories-sodium-sugar you get from a kiss after DH eats these delicious treats.

Oh well off I go to clean alittle more(my exercise for the day)

I weighed in at 181.4 lbs today down from 184.2 yesterday

11 more lbs to go before I meet my goal for DisneyWorld in Dec.
41.4 more lbs till I meet my goal of 140 lbs

I have to keep saying prayers and patience with melt aweigh the pounds.