Notices

mum of 2 trying to get in shape... australia

Old 10-03-2011, 01:59 PM
FitDay Member

Red face mum of 2 trying to get in shape... australia

Hi all,
It feels funny blogging like this. there is a first for evryone!!!! Anyway, I am at my heaviest at the moment at 87kg, this puts me in the obese category!!! OMG.... After 2 kids, my eating and exercise habits went by the way side of course. But after looking at myself in the mirror it is time to shape up... any help or tips would be great.. and I hope that like minded mummies out there culd form a support group of some sort and check in with each other?.... Anyway I need all the help I can get working full time, and the kids and then no time for myself....
thanks
karine
Old 10-04-2011, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

Welcome and good luck with the diet! My only tip is to measure everything you eat and become compulsive about logging your food. It's really amazing what calories are for foods and how they add up. I recently went to a party and decided not to have wine during the three-hour afternoon event. I thought I'd just nibble on the appetizers. When I came home, I added them up, making a special effort to be really accurate about the amounts and ALL the items I had. It was over a thousand calories!

I had a few pieces of salami. I had some cheese. I had some frankfurters in crescent rolls (small, but stil...), I had pita bread and hummus. I had crudites and dip. I had shrimp. Also, mini-quiches. Then, I was dumb enough to add in some mini-cannoli with chocolate and chocolate-dipped strawberries. Wow! I just couldn't stop sampling.

The thing is, I don't think I ever added up what one of these buffet table excursions cost in calories. Now, I know. But it was real work to do the calculating and not underestimate.

Oh well, at least I didn't have wine. No matter what you say about wine, it would have added even more calories, it would have whetted my appetite even more and I would never have had just one glass....
Old 10-04-2011, 06:23 AM
FitDay Member

Well I'm the mum of 3, but I used to be a mum of 2, does that count? Just kidding, moms the world over can always find things to talk about. And all to often it's how fat we got while working so hard taking care of everyone else that we end up discussing.

A good friend of mine recently had to make one of those "picture" boards for her son's graduation party. Then she called me and said that she'd figured out just when she'd gotten sooooo fat, it was EVERY DAY FOR THE PAST 18 YEARS!!! She said that in looking back at all the old photos she was just a tiny bit bigger in each one.

Not so for me, I was fat before the kids. Anyway welcome aboard and there is a place where we check in everyday. It's not specifically mums, just people all trying to do the same thing, get healthy, lose weight, get in shape, it's called the Motivational Thread, you make goals on Monday, check in everyday and give your report, simple enough until you hit Friday that is. Exactly how many pounds is in a kg?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:06 PM
FitDay Member

Default thanks for your replies and stories

Hi Ladies,

thanks so much for your reply and anecdotes. Well after my first 2 days, I have lost 1 kg... Not too bad considering the fact that I am still eatings carbs at the moment. Anyway, I will be countig my calories like a maniac and making sure it all adds up. My only issue at the moment are the hunger pangs. yuks!! But when there is awill there is a way they say.... Just have to keep with it...
thanks again...
karine