FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Say anything you want about Atkins (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/5364-say-anything-you-want-about-atkins.html)

ronjohnfl 09-30-2011 06:42 AM

Say anything you want about Atkins

all I know is that my appetite is RULED by sugar and carbs. Took me 30 years to figure that out, (I'm 41). I'm not certain it's this way for everyone, while we all share a lot in common - our inner wiring is often different, so I'm not sure people that haven't struggled with this can relate.

My appetite goes from 10 (ravenously hungry), and I eat donuts to a 2 (totally full), 2 hours later, 10, and I eat cake, to 2, 2 hours later, 10, and I eat brownies, to 2, 2 hours later to 10, and I eat ice cream to 2, to 2 hours later to 10, and I eat cookies - ya, you get the idea - IT'S A FRICKIN ROLLERCOASTER!

On top of that, sugar and carbs are my coping mechanism for stress, etc. Sigh.

Limiting carbs allows me to get off the appetite rollercoaster fueled by sugar and carbs - and my appetite falls into a "5" all the time. Sometimes I even forget to eat! I'm 5 days into eating low carb and I feel great no ravenous cravings. However, I don't eat the high fat spectrum either, I find it reasonable easy to eat low fat protein and low glycemic carbs, without having to eat Big Mac patties and bacon all day long.

But it's hard, because I love all those foods, cake, cookies, donuts, ice cream, candy - I could LIVE on them.

It takes about a week off carbs and sugar for me to gain control of my appetite, from there weight loss is reasonably east for me, it takes time of course - but I feel in control. It's just that easy for me. I cut them out and I gain control over my appetite.

All that being said - I still struggle and I'm not pretending to have the solution all together. I have a very real understanding of the problem though - and, as simple as it sounds, that took many years to fully understand.

I know there is supposed to be a 'moderation' approach to weight loss, but I find it nearly impossible to moderate certain foods, like chocolate cake for example, so I choose abstinence over attempting to moderate, which works - however it triggers 'deprivation' which in the long term sets me up for failure.

Add 30 minutes of cardio a day and it goes almost 2x as fast. I've never added weight training, but I suspect that would move everything along even more quickly.

Open to any and all suggestions and feedback...

PM me if you want to chat more.

almeeker 09-30-2011 11:46 AM

I have similar issues and have discovered that a big share of my problem is caused by wheat, quite specifically white flour. If I can avoid wheat through breakfast and lunch, my appetite is fairly well under control, I can eat a serving or 2 with dinner without issue. I can even have a little sugar without triggering the problem. Today I've had 2 butterscotch candies but have not had terrible urges to eat (urges yes, but not uncontrollable). Last weekend I ate too much pizza and cake at our DD's 10th birthday party and the carb crash cravings took 2 days to abate. It was rough, but at least I knew that it was caused by the carbs and not by some deep inner character flaw of mine.

mecompco 09-30-2011 11:31 PM

Yup, dessert and bakery items are the one category of food that I totally abstain from. Ever eat a dozen Dunkin' Donuts at one setting? Or a pint of Ben and Jerry's (NY Super Chunk) and a few candy bars? I was addicted to that pulse-pounding, head throbbing sugar fueled rush. Not good!

So yes, I agree that there are some of us who should simply not eat that junk. It is useless calories and it would be pretty easy to fall back into old habits, I'm afraid.

Keep up the good work and just say "NO" to sweets. :)

Regards,
Michael

Kathy13118 10-01-2011 03:57 AM

Having done Atkins for years (and varieties of Atkins, such as Protein Power and Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, etc.), if we can say anything about Atkins, I'll say: whatever works for you, go with it!

I'll also say, having done Atkins for years, I've gone back to calorie counting, older and wiser. About carb avoidance and carb counting, for me: Never Again!

mecompco 10-01-2011 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kathy13118 (Post 58388)
Having done Atkins for years (and varieties of Atkins, such as Protein Power and Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, etc.), if we can say anything about Atkins, I'll say: whatever works for you, go with it!

I'll also say, having done Atkins for years, I've gone back to calorie counting, older and wiser. About carb avoidance and carb counting, for me: Never Again!

I agree. I don't avoid carbs but I like to minimize simple carbs and keep to a more-or-less 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein mix with at least 100 grams of protein daily average. Our bodies need carbs, fat and protein to function. It is our responsibility to keep our intake at a reasonable level.

Regards,
Michael