Notices

I'm not the best at subject lines...

Old 09-28-2011, 07:30 AM
FitDay Member

Default I'm not the best at subject lines...

As I assume all manners of "New girl here" have already been said.

I've been telling myself for the past 3 years I was going to loose weight. I'm afraid that that is going to turn into 10 or 11 or 12 ect years.. I don't want to look back from that many years from now.. and say.. yeah... still talking the talk.. no walking...

Also.. a colleague of mine recently joined weight watchers and lost over 100 pounds in a year. I wanted to join her.. but jeezz... "Weight watchers" should change their name to "Money loosers"... in the sense that.. hey.. where'd all my cash go?? I'm broke!!.

aka... my butt is too broke, and partially cheap.. to throw what amounts to paying both my phone and internet bill at that company, when I am trying to live on my own in an expensive city, with rather lousy pay.

So here I am. Trying to find a way to dedicate myself and keep myself on track. I was looking for an online goal chart with "you need to lose Xlbs this day/week" to meet your goal.

The Goal is my sisters wedding, and myself in a bridesmaid dress.. in May, in Jamaica. My other sister was married 2 years ago in Panama.. and I have rarely hated myself so much as I did on that day.. I looked disgusting.. the dresses were ordered online from China.. I doubt they even knew women could be as large as me (over there that is). The dresses were custom ordered to size, but the fit, despite having my measurements, was horrifying. I looked like a light blue fat tube with bulges in all the wrong places.. it was humiliating. I often think, well at least I help other women stay skinny, one look at me reafirms their efforts to stay thin, and "oh god I don't want to look like that.. " and chuck their snacks.

Anyway. So.. this leads me here. Before signing up, I checked for an online active forum, and I'm very pleased with what I've seen. I hope to get to know some you. Well... see you on the boards.... and thanks for reading.

Last edited by Kydilee; 09-28-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:44 AM
FitDay Member

Kydilee...

LOL I've been saying for too many decades that "I can lose my gut any time I want"... and that's been sort of true. Sort of. I've lost it numerous times but it's always crept back. I never knew what I was doing. Now I do, thanks to FitDay tracking and a LOT of research on line. So yeah, the time is now and don't wait decades before looking back with dismay...

I've got a friend who's doing WW right now. She's had a lot of success. But she's also (and I kinda hate to say this but it's true) kinda "nutritionally retarded". In other words, she has no idea about cholesterol, saturated fats, sodium, etc. etc. etc. in her diet but only knows about "points". Well points are all well and good for losing weight, but what about HEALTH??? You are wise to take the time to learn yourself, because as far as I'm concerned, WW is good for people who want to lose weight and do it without being "bothered about details", but IMO true health is in the details!

I wish you success, and I'm sure you'll look great by the next wedding.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to FitDay.

I don't know much about weight watchers, other than you pay until you hit your goal and then you have to maintain a certain +/- margin or you have to pay again (assuming that's correct). I've heard too many stories about people that end up dishing out more money then they'd ever imagine b/c they never hit their goal. I was recently in Va Beach and was talking to my SIL that's been doing WW for 2 years. By the end of our conversation I had her upset with me, which is shocking b/c I've been known to piss off people from the start of a conversation. Anyway the converstaion went something like this.

her: I'm trying to lose like 10-15 more pounds.

me: How long have you been doing WW?

her: 2 years

me: How much weight have you lost?

her: 20 pounds... well 20 then I gained back 5 so 15, the problem was that I broke my (shoulder I think) and I couldn't workout for a month (or so)

me: wait... you're going to WW for the diet part and to lose weight. You quit going to the gym and gain back 5 pounds WHILE STILL GOING TO WEIGHT WATCHERS??? It sounds to me like the diet's not working. Sounds like the only reason why you've lost weight is b/c you go to the gym 3-4 days a week (with a personal trainer), b/c when you stopped the weight comes back. Besides that If I had to pay someone, or a company like weight watchers to lose only 15 pounds in a 2 year period WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF GOING TO THE GYM I'd be pissed!

her: 15 pounds isn't bad.

me: when you're having to pay to do it and it takes 2 years, that's very bad. Why do you keep going and spending your money?

her: I do it for the support group.

me: At that point I told her about FitDay, how's it's free and all the support that the forums have to offer. I told her about some of the MANY successes here.

her: she rolls her eyes and said that she's happy with WW.

me: no problem, I just figured that it's taken you 2 years to lose 15 pounds, you want to lose another 10-15 to hit your goal weight. How many years are you willing to wait and how much are you willing to pay to lose 25-30 pounds? So basically weight watches is a program that you continue to pay for as long as it's NOT working for you? That's an interesting concept.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 09-28-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:49 AM
FitDay Member

her: she rolls her eyes and said that she's happy with WW.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink...