FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Newbie! Arr! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/5339-newbie-arr.html)

Inkryptzalis 09-27-2011 03:14 AM

Newbie! Arr!

Day 5 of Fitday. I just started here last week. I just medically retired from the Army. Since Iraq, 05-06 & 08-09, I've been losing weight on and off. I think I really screwed my metabolism when I was eating once a day and drinking waaaaay too much energy drinks. Since I started the discharge process I haven't been doing any exercise. And, I'm really sick of being out of shape. So I started to buy healthier food and track calories with my wife, and trying to keep the discipline to work out everyday. I've been trying to eat more throughout the day (I start with two boiled eggs for breakfast), and eat one helping for dinner. It's really difficult. I weigh 201 now (m/25/5ft6in). I should weigh 150. So I set a goal of 150 for March.

01gt4.6 09-27-2011 03:47 AM

Welcome to FitDay and thanks for your service! So are you only eating 2 eats and dinner?

Inkryptzalis 09-27-2011 04:23 AM

Thank you and thank you.
Well, I went from only eating lunch and dinner (mostly white pastas and a lot of meat). And pigging out for both. So, I'm eating just raw vegetables and fruits during the day. Just whenever I get real hungry I guess. Maybe more like 4 times a day on average. For pasta, I only eat it once a day (whole grain) or not at all that day. I've also been drinking 2 servings green tea and 1 serving of oolong tea. And doing little things to burn more calories (walking to someones house instead of driving).
This website has really helped me track what calories I've been consuming/burning. Making this a lot easier than I thought it would be.
Should I consider eating snacks twice a day instead?

rpmcduff 09-27-2011 07:01 AM

Thanks for your service and welcom to Fitday. I would suggest you spread your calories and macros more evenly during the day. (But if what you're doing works for you that is great.) I believe that you need to get about 30% of your calories from protein to keep muscle loss to a minimum while dieting. Your morning eggs are a great source of protein as of course your meat in the evening but you seem to be lacking a protein source throughout the rest of the day. Some suggestions are a protein shake, cottage cheese, yogurt, tuna or just some left over lean meat from the night before.

Good luck!

Inkryptzalis 09-27-2011 11:17 AM

Okay, thank you! I will keep that in mind!

almeeker 09-27-2011 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Inkryptzalis (Post 57920)
and trying to keep the discipline to work out everyday.

I've discovered that if I equate working out to hygiene or sleep, it makes it easier to just do it. Typically I don't skip my morning shower because after 24 hours, yesterday's clean is looonnnggg gone, and I don't skip going to bed for basically the same reason. If you think about it, you almost never hear anyone say, "oh, sleeping/showing, I just don't have time for that". But working out is a whole 'notha story...

Good luck honey, and a great big "thanks" for your service to this country.