Notices

struggling diabetic

Old 09-01-2011, 05:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default struggling diabetic

I am in my early 60's and have diabetes2, some renal failure and neuropathy in my legs. I am unable to stand for very long or walk even a block. Would love some tips on some kind of exercise I can do.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

My suggestion would be to walk, even though it's difficult. Set yourself a goal and walk every single day. When it's easier to walk a short distance, add just a little bit of distance to that. Continue and repeat. Work up to a good distance, make it a habit. Then set your next goal.

But my suggestion is not as good as whatever your doctor can recommend. He knows your health, you're not his only patient who has this combination of conditions, and he can even refer you to a physical therapist to get you started. I would make an appointment to talk to him about what you can do.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:25 AM
FitDay Member

You could try swimming or a swim aerobics class. Your doctor may be able to get you physical therapy at a place with a theraputic warm water pool.

I also read that Jane Fonda is now over 60 and has released some new videos aimed at that age group with lower intensity workouts. You might research those.