Notices

Hello Everyone

Old 08-23-2011, 12:50 PM
FitDay Member

Default Hello Everyone

I am new to the forums, but I have used this site before. I believe this site helped me during my last effort to get in shape. I want to thank the people involved with running this site.
I am a 62yo, mwm, 5'8", and 224 pounds. Yes I am far out of shape, much work to do. Praise the Lord, I do feel motivated again, something I have not felt for over 3 years. About 4 years ago, and for several years before, I was in excellent shape. That was because I worked out with weights and jogged 5 miles 5 days per week. I hope to get back in excellent shape again. I am starting with a juicing program, juice only for at least 5 days. The last time I did this, I lost 15 pounds.
I hope you all are doing great.
Bob
Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome Bob!

You sound like you're off to a good start! Juicing is a great way to start off a new diet/lifestyle change. I kicked mine off with a 4 day water fast.

It sounds like you've got a very good exercise base to pull from, even though you're currently not in form. The good news is, it does come back, and it will happen fairly quickly. I've had a lot going on the last 5 years and basically stopped exercising, although I was in very good shape before that.

Don't get all caught up in performance when you start up again. Think of the running or whatever you do strictly in terms of burning calories, and don't worry about time/distance. After a while, you'll drop weight, be in a little better shape, then you can start pushing yourself again. Just do it!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Bob, congrats on a great start. Keep going and you'll be back in fighting form in no time!

Regards,
Michael
Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Vito, thanks for the support and advice. I have added walking 48 minutes a day, 5 days per week and rowing 45 minutes a day, hoping to get to 5 days per week also. Good luck in your efforts also.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:26 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Mecompco, thanks for the encouragement.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 AM
FitDay Member

I am happy to say that I am half way through my fifth day of juicing, and doing well.
I see that some of you added your stata to your posts. I do read them, so it is probably a good idea.

July 2011 Weight: 243
August 21 Weight: 226
August 26 Weight: 219.6
Old 08-26-2011, 07:34 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Mecompco, I just noticed that you have had spectacular success with your weight loss program. Congratulations. How did you accomplish that amazing weight loss?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:41 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by sdpony
Hi Mecompco, I just noticed that you have had spectacular success with your weight loss program. Congratulations. How did you accomplish that amazing weight loss?
Thank you, it's been a good trip, overall. Not that we're at our destination yet (and truthfully, I don't think this will be a trip with an "end" as I plan to stick with FitDay for help in maintaining what I've thus far accomplished).

I'm afraid I don't have any magic formula for weight loss, basically maintaining a good daily calorie deficit, drinking lots of water and some sort of reasonable exercise every day--nothing earth shattering.

I found that 1500 calories in a 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein mix worked pretty well for me. Of course, every body and everybody is different so that might not work for you.

Regards,
Michael

PS If you want your stats to show in every post, put then in your "sig", which is available to edit under the "User CP" link in the blue bar.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:21 AM
FitDay Member

Congratulations, on returning to a healthy lifestyle.

At 5'8" the ideal weigfht is 147, and losing a pound per week, it would take you 77 weeks or until January 2013.

Juicing will definitely take off the weight, but you will also lose muscle mass.

As soon as possible, you will want to start weight training as well.

It isn't easy to put on muscle and lose fat, and when doing so, I don't think that the scale will move much, but you will look differently, and your old pants will start to fit.

Don't starve yourself, eat the recommended calories.

There are a lot of people behind you all the way, take a before pic, so that you will have something to go by, and keep those old pants handy.