Notices

In Need of Motivation.....

Old 08-24-2011, 12:11 PM
FitDay Member

Default In Need of Motivation.....

Hi everyone! I just stumbled upon this site by accident today and it looks very helpful. I am a single mother of two boys; 10 & 7. I have been unhappy with my weight all of my life and have even considered gastric bypass. My weight has sky rocked the past year and I do not like the way I feel. I guess the most important thing for me is not really the numbers on the scale but how I feel. I have no energy and this point and am tired all the time. I also love food and love to cook. Unfortunatley exercise is a down-fall for me. I need to get my butt moving. I have tried probably every diet fad that is out there and of coarse have gained all the weight back and then some. I know that the most realistic thing is small changes and sticking with it. How does everyone stay motivated? I just want to feel better!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:34 PM
FitDay Member

My kids are my greatest source of motivation. At my heaviest I was starting to feel like a heart attack wasn't a slight possibility, it was more like an inevitability. In the past 5-6 years I've watched as my BIL laid to rest both of his parents, it's heart wrenching to think that neither of his parents will see their grandson (my nephew) grow up. I want to play with my kids, I want to live to be an old women, I want to know and be a big part of my grandchildren's lives, so I have to get and stay healthy to do all that. Also I don't want my kiddos to have the same weight issues I've had for years on end, I want them to be healthy and have healthy habits and healthy lifestyles, so the best way to get that is to lead by example right? BTW my girls are 9, 8 and 5, so we're in the same PTO ballpark. So there's your motivation, now run with it, or you can walk with it, which is a lot easier workout than a run. LOL.

As for exercise, the best thing I can recommend is to think outside the box and take it slowly. Find something that you love, or at least enjoy enough to look forward to and find ways to incorporate it into your life. It doesn't have to be a trip to the gym every night, dance, walk, bike with the kids, park your car at the farthest end of the parking lot and walk a little farther into the mall etc etc.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:50 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kauwela
Hi everyone! I just stumbled upon this site by accident today and it looks very helpful. I am a single mother of two boys; 10 & 7. I have been unhappy with my weight all of my life and have even considered gastric bypass. My weight has sky rocked the past year and I do not like the way I feel. I guess the most important thing for me is not really the numbers on the scale but how I feel. I have no energy and this point and am tired all the time. I also love food and love to cook. Unfortunatley exercise is a down-fall for me. I need to get my butt moving. I have tried probably every diet fad that is out there and of coarse have gained all the weight back and then some. I know that the most realistic thing is small changes and sticking with it. How does everyone stay motivated? I just want to feel better!
Hi kauwela,
Welcome you've come to the right place.
Great advice right off the bat from almeeker!!!!
I'm just re-starting here, (fell off the wagon .... )but for me being religious about tracking your food and activity is a huge motivator.. You actually see your progress and invariably start to learn more about nutrition.This place does work. I left ("My Bad" ) but I'm back.
Also, ask questions,do searches and contribute your 2 cents to the discussion boards.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

How does everyone stay motivated?
Welcome to FitDay. You may not want to hear this but one thing is that you need to take a before picture. As painful as it may be, do it b/c once the weight starts to fall off, you can look back and see how far you've come. That will make you want to keep going.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:52 PM
FitDay Member

For me as well, my motivation comes from the accountability of tracking all foods that get past my lips. There's something about seeing the information all laid out for you, that even when you think you don't have the strength to do what's "right", once you start tracking it becomes a challenge that motivates you to go ahead and do what's "right" anyway. Does that make sense?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

I have been unhappy with my weight all of my life and have even considered gastric bypass.
I have a couple of friends that have undergone gastric bypass, they have lost all the weight they wanted to, but every last one of them has said they wouldn't recommend it to anyone and they wouldn't do it again. My SIL wants to get the surgery, but she already has a lap-band and weighs more now than ever, primarily because she won't stick to the diet. My suggestion to her was to research the diet you have to follow after gastric by-pass surgery and do it for a year, to see if she wants to live that way for the rest of her life. She of course blew me off, she always does, but if you're seriously considering the surgery, my advice is the same. Check out the recommended diet and see if you can (or want) do it first. The surgery just changes your stomach, it doesn't change your head or your relationship with food, it and it most certainly doesn't make you feel like exercising more.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone for the support. I really feel like this site is helping. It makes me think twice before I put something in my mouth since I actually have documentation of what I am eating. I was however wondering, if anyone else could see a pattern with how much sleep they are getting and how they feel that day. I finally got a good night's sleep. I am not sure if it has anything to do with just making healthier choices but it certainly made a difference today. I finally feel like I have some energy. Does anyone else have any information that may be helpful
Old 08-27-2011, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
I have a couple of friends that have undergone gastric bypass, they have lost all the weight they wanted to, but every last one of them has said they wouldn't recommend it to anyone and they wouldn't do it again.
My brother had gastric bypass many years ago but never addressed his eating problem. His diet to the day is pathetic at best. He's gained most of his weight back.

I think the craziest crap that I ever heard, in regards to gastric bypass and issues with eating problems is about a teacher at the kids school. The doctor told her that if she were 100 pounds over weight he'd allow her to have the gastric bypass. She told my GF that she was trying to gain the other 50 pounds so she could have it. Seriously? How pathetic is that? Why not just lose the 50 pounds and not worry about surgery?
Old 08-27-2011, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks everyone for the support. I really feel like this site is helping. It makes me think twice before I put something in my mouth since I actually have documentation of what I am eating. I was however wondering, if anyone else could see a pattern with how much sleep they are getting and how they feel that day. I finally got a good night's sleep. I am not sure if it has anything to do with just making healthier choices but it certainly made a difference today. I finally feel like I have some energy. Does anyone else have any information that may be helpful
I rarely get a good night sleep. Either because I'm up several times peeing, b/c I drink so much damn water, or I have 9# dog kicking me in my back all night. If I get 6 hours and only wake up 3-4 times then it was a good night for me.