Notices

Dead woman walking...

Old 08-19-2011, 01:29 AM
FitDay Member

Default Dead woman walking...

Fact: Diabetes killed my Dad on June 1/2011
Fact: My Mother had a heart attack and a stroke before the age of 60
Fact: I am a sitting duck

My name is Stephanie I am 34 years old and weigh 315lbs...

I found FitDay yesterday by accident and decided to join. I want to lose weight more than anything, however, the task seems so daunting. I have a long road ahead and I'm not sure if I can make it.

I have tried to lose weight so many times before, Weight Watchers, Atkins, Smart For LIfe, South Beach, Curves Diet, Soups/shakes/bars I have failed so many times to count and I am afraid I will be obese for the rest of my life.

I joined FitDay because I want to make a change. I'm tired of people telling me I have a pretty or I would be so beautiful if I just lost some weight. I'm tired of not fitting into chairs or having to think twice before sitting down to make sure I don't break them. I want to ride on a roller coaster and shop in regular store for cute clothes.

My goal right now is to learn about myself and my habits, I want to just log my food, moods and maybe use the journal. I have a friend that told me to write down everything I ate, not to diet at first just to log my intake, how I feel, what triggers me to eat etc etc. She tells me you can't move forward unless you know where you are at! I think she's on to something...

So I am giving myself the next month to track everything and hopefully I learn something about myself.

I need all the support, encouragement, tips I can get.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:45 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome, this group will do all we can to support you, and you will find such reward in each accomplishment. My hubby had a similar wake up call in 2008, and it was amazing how with determination, he became a new man, with health problems falling by the way.

Abby
Old 08-19-2011, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome tapps!

You're doing great just logging food - it really is informative as just after a few days you might see what your patterns and habits are! Just remember to log every little thing that goes in your mouth - good, bad or ugly, as one of our mods (mecompo) would say! I often forget to log little things I pop in my mouth during a day (a handful of raisins here, etc.) and it does add up.

This is a great group for supporting people; we're all on the same boat together here. You might also want to check out the "100+ Pounds to Lose" Unisex thread under the "Weight Loss" section of the forums (it's the first section) to talk to others who have been or are exactly in your shoes.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:54 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by tapps450
I found FitDay yesterday by accident and decided to join.

Welcome!

I stumbled upon FitDay by accident as well. This is the place to learn about nutrition, see amazing results, and have fun and support while meeting your goals. The "accident" has quickly proven to be serendipitous.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

The habit of logging your food (measuring it first) is a great habit. What makes fitday so useful is how you can produce reports from your log that show how much fiber, what proportion of protein, etc., you are eating.

Measuring doesn't have to be lab-like. It just means getting used to seeing what a measuring cup full of tuna casserole looks like, for example, and not trying to 'fudge' the number you put into the food log. I hardly ever measure these days, because I like the convenience of everything measured on a bag or box that I'm going to use. I used pre-washed bagged lettuce for a salad last night and it was 6 cups (from the nutrition panel on the bag). That's easy to put in the log: 6 cups mixed greens. I ate all of it so I ate 6 cups of mixed greens. (Hardly any calories.. it was the oil that made it look like a real meal...)
Old 08-19-2011, 03:36 AM
FitDay Member

You can do it!
You have good reasons to.
You absolutely need to program everything that you ingest into this calorie counter.
When you do, you will know that you are seriuous.
Also, start moving alot.
Walking is the easiest cheapest, safest way to begin.

I'm jacked up, and I aint goin back!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:01 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Tapps....

6 months ago I was almost exactly where you are. I didn't get a wake up call, I was just tired of being the way I "was". (That feels different) Anyway...I am 5'10" and weighed in at 331.2 lbs on 2.21.11 Since then I have lost 45 lbs. I logged everything that I ate. Whether I wanted to or not. Most work days I walk for a 1/2 hr. And I work out at home. Nothing fancy just actually the workouts found in the back pages of a magazine. I just added a new one two days ago that has my thighs burning. We are the same age as well.

Just wanted you to know you are not alone. There are many people who are or were in the same boat as you. If you need anything speak up!!

Welcome!
April
Old 08-19-2011, 08:03 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Just wanted you to know you are not alone. There are many people who are or were in the same boat as you. If you need anything speak up!!
+1, I was headed down that same path a few years ago, I've now have a clean bill of health and feel a thousand times better and Fitday was a crucial part of my success. You can do it!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Hi tapps, I'm so sorry for the loss of your parents. I'm glad you decided to do what you need to do for yourself.

Can I ask how you decided on a month of charting to see your patterns? That seems like quite a while to wait, but I totally agree that if that is what works for you, then do it. I do agree that the better you know yourself, the better you are equipped to put together a lifestyle change that works for you, and everyone's is different. Whether you wait a full month or not, one of the keys that is helpful to many is to do one small change at a time. Like maybe the first week cut out soda, or second helpings. Then once that's a habit, add in a fruit or veggie at each meal...things like that. Taking baby steps is the best way to make changes that will last you forever and get and keep you healthy. Looking forward to seeing you on the forums. Be sure to holler if you have any questions or need some motivation!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:41 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome, and congrats on deciding to take action now. Add another hundred or so to where you are now and you'll be close to where I was on May 5th of 2010. FitDay and some commitment on your part and you can easily drop 100 (or more) faster than you might think.

Regards,
Michael