Notices

I'm new and want to share

Old 08-08-2011, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default I'm new and want to share

It may seem odd to share really personal feelings with total strangers, but somehow I think posting this will make me feel better.

I just joined fitday today and am really ready to get serious. I need to lose 25 pounds that I gained because of depression.

Here are my thoughts, I'd like to just get them "out there"... and I'd love to hear any of your thoughts in return.

Why do I want to lose weight?
1. To be a good example for my kids. I want them to eat healthy foods and they won't if I don't set a good example.
2. To be healthy. I don't want to end up diabetic or on medication for high cholesterol or high blood pressure anytime soon. It's just not worth it!
3. To feel better. I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I know that most of the times that I don't feel good are because of what I am eating. I even have had lots of warnings from my digestive system about what I've been eating, so I need to listen!
4. To look better. I know that is supposed to be the shallow reason but it's true. I want to look good, and be able to buy cute clothes, and not dread shopping. I want to be able to take my kids to a pool or beach and play with them in the water without being self-conscious all the time about what I look like in a bathing suit. I also know that my husband wouldn't complain if I lost some fat and gained some muscle.
5. To fit into my old clothes. I have a whole closet full of cute stuff that I can't fit into. My next goal: the grey Calvin Klein dress. After that: my black dress from years ago.

What am I willing to give up to accomplish this?
I don't know. This section of my journal will have to be a work in progress I guess.

Why is this so hard?
1. I like food. I like cooking. I like eating.
2. I do the cooking and therefore I choose foods that I really like. This means it will be more tempting to overeat.
3. I do the grocery shopping, so same problem... I choose foods I like and therefore it's more tempting to eat too much.
4. The whole world eats too much and bad stuff!!! OK at least all the Americans. Nearly everything that is available at restaurants is bad for you and/or huge portions. Starbucks is bad. Fast food is bad. Pizza is bad. Parties are bad. Desserts are bad. It seems like our whole culture revolves around food and the food in question is the worst kind! Do you ever see anyone getting out an apple to celebrate? No, they get out champagne or make a cake! It just feels like having fun and/or being happy is deeply tied to eating unhealthy foods. I guess if it were just once in a while it would be ok anyway but it seems like there is some "special occasion" every week or even more than that.
5. I eat when I am stressed, tired, or lonely (which feels like all the time). I know I do this, but I don't know how to stop. For example, when my son was sick with a serious infection I gained some of the weight back that I had previously lost. But how to stop? This section is also a work in progress.

Thanks for reading.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hi

Hi,

It sounds like we have similar goals...I'm rooting for you! I just started up yesterday.....I'm happy to support you in any way.

Good luck!

Nepthys
Old 08-08-2011, 04:00 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there,
I started today to. I am a pro at diets for the first 3 days. I am here because I am tired of fighting this, looking for the next quick fix. I use my weight as a shield, food as comfort and I am just tired of it. My sensible goal is to lose 36 pounds by the end of 2011, be an active person, and not quit.

I am hoping that getting involved in a weight loss community will create support and accountability will be the difference this time.

Good Luck to All
Debbie
Old 08-08-2011, 07:08 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Nephtys, nice to "meet" you. Thanks for cheering me on & offering your support! I hope we will be able to help each other as we make progress!

Hi Debbie. I know what you mean about being great at a diet for about 3 days. I also struggle with losing my motivation pretty quickly. That's one reason why I wanted to write all that stuff down, somehow putting it in writing makes it more serious for me. I also am hoping like you that this community will be able to help us stay on track. I wish you the most success in your goal!!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:58 PM
FitDay Member

Nice to meet you both. My goal is to just log foods and be aware of what I am stuffing into my mouth. I too am looking for accountability to get and keep this weight off for good.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 PM
FitDay Member

Default welcome :)

Originally Posted by rebekah_marie
It may seem odd to share really personal feelings with total strangers, but somehow I think posting this will make me feel better.
It just feels like having fun and/or being happy is deeply tied to eating unhealthy foods. .
Bekah, so much of your post really hits home. I have shared some very intimate things on this forum. I think a natural by product of steady, healthy weight loss will inevitably lead to the emotional reasons why one is overweight.

I too like eating and cooking. I am slowly incorporating healthy new foods to cook AND enjoy. I recently happened upon whole wheat oatmeal waffles. Well, my lil toddler loves them just as much as my reg. butter laden waffles.

I love baking with my little girl. I want matching aprons for Christmas this year. We do still have 'real' treats. We made sugar cookies for father's day (dad's favorite). For her birthday we are going to have a fabulous cake with ice cream. These fun little parts of my life will not be erased, but each time my daughter and I share time together baking...it doesn't have to always be cookies and cupcakes.
.....So you have hit on a soar spot with me here LoL. Apart of me wants that nostalgic Mommy daughter baking cakes together. However, I realize her health is far more important. We DO still spend time together in the kitchen and she enjoys Mommy time making baked oatmeal squares, granola, homemade (healthy) popsicles, etc.

The following statement you made may be the toughest hurdle:
'It just feels like having fun and/or being happy is deeply tied to eating unhealthy foods.'

I think you know that being happy is not about consuming unhealthy foods to the point where your body is unhealthy. I think you typing that is, dare I say, a breakthrough revelation for you. Knowing our own ties/attachment to food allow us to step back away from our behavior and evaluate it a little more objectively.
Birthdays, Christmas will involve some nutritionally lacking foods that just taste good for tasting good sake. That is ok. Fitday has been very beneficial for me in realizing I can enjoy celebratory meals/foods/desserts. Portion control is where it is at for me.

Good luck on your journey!!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:00 AM
FitDay Member

wow i love reading ur post you were right on it if you need a buddy im here for u
Old 08-09-2011, 01:30 AM
FitDay Member

Sounds like you are looking deep within yourself for the reasons behind being overweight. Now that you see what they are...the goal is to try to control them to the point that you can lose the weight and maintain that while still having the occasional celebratory dinner or dessert.

You have come to the right place for support and encouragement. And yes, we all share a lot of personal info on this forum. That is the great thing about the internet you can be as personal as you want to be while keeping your identity secret. That allows for a lot more open honesty at times.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:10 AM
FitDay Member

ripemango, thanks so much for your post. It was very encouraging to read about someone else feeling the same way I do. I hope we can continue to help each other! I'm sure I will re-read it a few more times. I do think you have the key there in mentioning portion control.

lindyk11, Thanks for your support!

wildbeanerz, You are right now that I know what the problem(s) are, I have to learn how to control them. I should be able to control them, right, not the other way around?! And I feel the same way, that sometimes it's easier to be open to a stranger then it is to be with people in person.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rebekah_marie

I just joined fitday today and am really ready to get serious. I need to lose 25 pounds that I gained because of depression.

Here are my thoughts, I'd like to just get them "out there"... and I'd love to hear any of your thoughts in return.

Why do I want to lose weight?
1. To be a good example for my kids. I want them to eat healthy foods and they won't if I don't set a good example.
2. To be healthy. I don't want to end up diabetic or on medication for high cholesterol or high blood pressure anytime soon. It's just not worth it!
3. To feel better. I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I know that most of the times that I don't feel good are because of what I am eating. I even have had lots of warnings from my digestive system about what I've been eating, so I need to listen!
4. To look better. I know that is supposed to be the shallow reason but it's true. I want to look good, and be able to buy cute clothes, and not dread shopping. I want to be able to take my kids to a pool or beach and play with them in the water without being self-conscious all the time about what I look like in a bathing suit. I also know that my husband wouldn't complain if I lost some fat and gained some muscle.
5. To fit into my old clothes. I have a whole closet full of cute stuff that I can't fit into. My next goal: the grey Calvin Klein dress. After that: my black dress from years ago.

What am I willing to give up to accomplish this?
I don't know. This section of my journal will have to be a work in progress I guess.

Why is this so hard?
2. I do the cooking and therefore I choose foods that I really like. This means it will be more tempting to overeat.
3. I do the grocery shopping, so same problem... I choose foods I like and therefore it's more tempting to eat too much.
4. The whole world eats too much and bad stuff!!! OK at least all the Americans. Nearly everything that is available at restaurants is bad for you and/or huge portions. Starbucks is bad. Fast food is bad. Pizza is bad. Parties are bad. Desserts are bad. It seems like our whole culture revolves around food and the food in question is the worst kind! Do you ever see anyone getting out an apple to celebrate? No, they get out champagne or make a cake! It just feels like having fun and/or being happy is deeply tied to eating unhealthy foods. I guess if it were just once in a while it would be ok anyway but it seems like there is some "special occasion" every week or even more than that.
5. I eat when I am stressed, tired, or lonely (which feels like all the time). I know I do this, but I don't know how to stop. For example, when my son was sick with a serious infection I gained some of the weight back that I had previously lost. But how to stop? This section is also a work in progress.

Thanks for reading.
Your reasons for wanting to lose weight:
1. Great. Leading by example will teach them well and break a viscous cycle that gets passed on from generation to generation.
2. Another great reason. Losing weight have gotten countless people off medications... including depression meds!
3. Very true. 'You are what you eat.', eat like crap and you'll feel like crap.
4. Not shallow at all, ESPECIALLY WHEN DEPRESSION IS INVOLVED. Who doesn't want to look better?
5. Fit in to your old clothes? lol You'll want all new clothes when you get to that point. So instead of celebrating with food, celebrate by buying some new clothes.

What are you willing to give up? The answer should be bad habits, putting yourself first, etc. But as you know, that's up to you. Some people jump in with two feet and others gradually make changes, but both type make the change.

Why is it so hard? Because we let it be.

1. You are surround by people here that like food and eating. You just have start liking healthier choices. You like to cook and grocery shop? Great then you control what's being served, right?
2. Read ^
3. Again, read #1
4. Yep Americans are fat. Let those things you listed be THEIR excuses, not yours, plan ahead when going out to eat, etc.
5. How do you stop? Take control! Own it. If you feel tired, maybe you're bored, go for a walk. Even if you are truly tired, a short brisk walk will energize you and help you clear your mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.