Notices

Falling off the wagon.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:31 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Falling off the wagon.

So I have tried many many times to loose weight and gain muscle....my family has a history of diabetes and I am super scared to inherit that trait. I have tried many times o lose weight but after a couple weeks it seems like I always fall off the wagon. I am very self consiouse about my weight and I'd love to shave down my stomach and my sides or "love hadles" and get some nice and toned obliques and abs. My parents and friends always say oh your not fat but ijust dont see it. School starts in a month or so and i want to returne a new skinny person with a tone body and a low body fat percentage. I just never can stay motivated enough to stick with it and eat healthy. It's hard to at healthy when you hav brothers who don't care what they eat and there are always chips and crappy food around the house. I am just so worried I will fall off the wagon again.... Any advice?
Old 08-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to FitDay Connor. Are you male or female? What's your age, height and weight?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:08 PM
FitDay Member

I am 14 roughly 5 foot 6 inches and I weigh about 158 and I'm a male

Last edited by Connor61; 08-05-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:48 AM
FitDay Member

I have to agree with your parents. That really doesn't seem that bad. And you will be growing and changing more for the next few years.

But you are really at a great time in your life to start making food and exercise habits that last a lifetime. Start doing research and reading about what healthy eating means. You can't do anything about the bad food in the house, but you could try learning to cook healthier foods.

As far as exercise, could you walk, run or bike to or from school? Even part of the way? Does your school have a gym or weight room you could use? What about exercise classes given before or after school? Many of these classes are mostly female so it would be a great way to meet girls. It's fall and cross country season, could you join? Does your school have a pool? Swimming is a great way to develop nice chest and shoulders.

If you start learning to exercise and eat right now in 15-20 years your brothers may be coming to and asking how they can get rid of the weight they have from eating too much junk food. Try to approach this as an opportunity instead of as a chore.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:57 AM
FitDay Member

I actually have a gym membership for a local golds gym and I go to work out there at least 5 days a week for an hour or so. I happen to love cooking so im gonna look for some healthier recipes to make. I just kinda get in the moods where I can eat anything in sight including the unhealthy food. Any tips? It totally throws me off course when I'm trying to eat healthy.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

rmdaly, great advice. I was hesitant to post another reply b/c I wasn't sure how to word it but you pretty much said what I was thinking.

Connor, you're going to want to eat everything in site, that's what 14 year old boys do. The good thing is at your age, you can do that better than someone older. Your metabolism is probably in overdrive and your hormones are probably going through the roof, or will be soon. The best advice that I can give you is try not to worry about it too much right now. Don't try to rush it either. IMO working out 5 days a week for an hour or more can be excessive depending on your workouts. Talk to your parents about getting some healthier food for you try not to worry about the junk that the others are eating.