FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Friends won (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/4883-friends-won.html)

scarybaldguy 08-02-2011 08:47 AM

Friends won

Do you know how hard it is to lose weight when your friends insist that there's nothing wrong with being overweight (obese, according to the standard BMI chart), even when your weight contributes to blood pressure and glucose problems?

"You're starving yourself!"
"I like big men!"
"Don't eat less, just exercise more!"

Those are some of the inanities I heard from my Livejournal friends a few years ago, the last time I tried to lose weight. As one might expect, I gave up and immediately regained the little I'd lost, plus some.

This time, I made no announcement. I just quietly enrolled here and started tracking my food, weight, and measurements. So far I'm dropping two pounds per week, give or take, and about .5" per week off my chest (LOL moobs) and belly. If I can get back into my 34" jeans with no dunlap, I'll call it a win.

Speaking of BMI: I ran myself through a body fat calculator and came up with a lean mass of 156#. BMI says I should aim for 160. That's... scary skinny. 156 + 16% (a reasonable level of fat) is 180, so that's my initial goal.

Long story short (too late!), I'm hoping I can get some encouragement here. :o

VitoVino 08-02-2011 09:03 AM

I'm stumped by your post, but welcome aboard!

scarybaldguy 08-02-2011 09:10 AM

Yeah, formatting is all screwed up. :confused:

ETA: fixed. That was odd...

01gt4.6 08-02-2011 09:24 AM

sbg, we've been going through a lot of changes here so the site may start to do some wierd stuff.

Welcome to FitDay, it's nice to have you here.:D

wildbeanerz 08-03-2011 02:15 AM

Sometimes I wonder if the people making those comments are trying to boost our confidence that we really do look okay despite health conditions. They dont' realize ( I don't think ) the effect they can have on our efforts to become healthier.

Welcome to the board! Keep up the good work!!

sw07 08-03-2011 04:32 AM

Welcome to the board and it sounds like you need some new friends.

Spookycheeseofdoom 08-03-2011 08:55 AM

welcome aboard! I know what you mean with friends' comments. My fiancee in particular can be dangerous to me because, well, he's a chubby chaser and actually begs me not to become too skinny!

They mean well, though.I think people who love us just don't want us to feel bad and they are trying to reassure us that the weight doesn't keep them from loving us, however we feel about ourselves. And remember, weight is such a taboo subject. It's a very special relationship to be able to tell someone they could stand to drop some poundage.

lalagoe 08-03-2011 11:21 PM

Welcome, welcome! Deciding to disregard what our friends tell us can be difficult. But good job dieting in secret. I started using this site only 5 days ago and it was quite an eye-opener as far as the number of calories I was taking in. When it's all written down in front of me, I have more incentive to turn down the second piece of cake!
Great job, and keep up the good work!

scarybaldguy 08-04-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by lalagoe (Post 52619)
it was quite an eye-opener as far as the number of calories I was taking in.

Nooo kidding. I had a hellacious shift at work last night and decided to go through the Wendy's drive-through rather than cook dinner after a 1-hour drive home. Chickeny nugget things, small fries, small frosty: 1000 calories and it blew my carb budget for about the next week. Not doing that again. :(

almeeker 08-04-2011 01:31 PM

Oy! Can I relate to your situation, only dragging my mother into it as well. I'm sure if I ever have a nervous breakdown, the weight comments will be at the top of what made me crazy. Welcome aboard, you're in the right place for healthy help and support. I've lost enough weight that some of my chubby friends spent a little time abandoning me. But most of them are really good friends so after we got past the weirdness of being different sizes, the friendships are pretty much back on track.

rmdaly 08-06-2011 09:43 AM

Weight issues including food, nutrition and exercise are like politics or religion. Everyone has what they believe in and will tell you what you should do whether you ask or not.

You have to find what works for you and stick with it. And stop discussing it with your friends. Or find new ones.

sheryl914 08-06-2011 11:02 PM

I know what you mean! I have quit making the "announcement" about trying to lose weight to the "group" of friends. Instead, I picked the one that is the great encourager to confide in. She doesn't ask how I am doing so "if you fall off the wagon again" because we all do from time to time. Instead, when I send her a progress report. She cheers and is full of the things I need to hear.

BTW, love Fitday for the tracking! I think it has become my new addiction! It was suggested to me by the nutritionist in the program I am doing. Love, love, love it!!

Good luck on your journey!

AliciaMichelleS 08-07-2011 10:00 AM

Hi SBG!
I too have those around me who tell me I don't need to lose and to just exercise more. I wouldn't claim I have a sweet tooth; my weakness's are heavy foods such as lasagna, ribs, hamburbers, chips. I need foods that are going to give me energy to move!

Good luck to you!

scarybaldguy 08-08-2011 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by sheryl914 (Post 52869)
Instead, I picked the one that is the great encourager to confide in.

I picked a good friend who's also struggling with her weight. Like me, she loves her comfort foods. Like me, she understands what she's done to herself. I suggested she sign up here and told her about my own results. She was impressed and said she'd check it out.

And, thanks. :)