FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Confused about site charts (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/4875-confused-about-site-charts.html)

Dietsheet 08-01-2011 12:06 PM

Confused about site charts

Hello everyone,

First all many thanks to the creators of this site. Im new, but am impressed by how much it offers for free!

Im not particularly dieting, but I do generally eat healthily (just common sense calls), and was curious to see what the charts turned out.

For the first days entry, it shows that i consumed approx 1950 calories, and burned 2100 or so. So about right.
It worked out at around 41% carbs, 31% protein and 28% fat (of which 22% is mono/poly unsaturated).

Where my confusion lies is in the nutrition chart, it seems completely whacky @@.
A few examples:
967% of RDA of B12
489% B6
235% Vitamin C
142% Vit D
611% Selenium

Then theres a bunch that are only between 100-150%, and a few such as Vitamin A that are between 80-99%.

Im no dietician, and am a little concerned about some of these figures, as we allways hear that too much of something is a bad thing (even if the substance is generally good).

Any advice/comments on these figures would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

vabeachgirlNYC 08-01-2011 04:43 PM

Hi Dietsheet. Welcome to FitDay.

The RDA bases their % on the minimum they feel is required for a 2000 cal diet.

Personally, I think their chart is outdated (yes, even the new one) and unrealistic. I do not follow it. They would hate my macro pie chart and I would gain weight if I followed theirs.

I do have a question for you. What does your daily diet look like?

I ask because your Vitamin A seems really low. I get 120% of Vitamin A from my 35 calorie serving of baby carrots alone.

And your Selenium % is super high compared to mine. My diet is high in veggies, moderate in fruit and completely nut free so I am usually lower than or right at the minimum recommended %.

Dietsheet 08-01-2011 10:49 PM

Many thanks for the reply vabeachgirl.

I see, do you have any advice on what is a good % based off the charts numbers then?

As for my diet, I really am not sure what would produce the vitamin A deficiency and high levels of Selenium, but as your interested, here is the list of foods i ate on that day in question, as listed using the sites food search function.

All bran with extra fibre 40g
Banana, raw 1
tea, unsweetened, 1 teacup
Rice, Brown, medium grain, cooked, 0.5 cup
Tuna, canned 360 grams (3 cans)
Bread, whole wheat, toasted 1 slice
Olive oil, 4 tablespoons
Tomato, raw, 1
Pepper, sweet, red, raw 1/4 cup
raisins 0.5 cup
Chicken breast, skin not eaten, 1/2 a breast
pineapple juice 1 cup
bottled water 3 cups
lettuce raw, 1 cup
cabbage green 0.5 cup
Milk, skim or nonfat, 0.5% fat or less 2 cups

Many thanks again for your reply,
Any comments/advice on this diet are most welcome!
take care

Dietsheet 08-02-2011 10:05 AM

Also, why are some Nutrients listed two times? like Vitamin A and Vitamin A IU. Im showing as not getting enough vitamin A, but the second Vitamin A, the one that doesnt show an RDA % is very high. Not sure how to read that.

The same goes if i add a tablespoon of paprika into my diet, it shoots the second line of vitamin A up, but the first one where the RDA % is, remains barly changed.