Newbie 3rd Shifter in WI >

Newbie 3rd Shifter in WI

Community
Notices

Newbie 3rd Shifter in WI

Old 07-30-2011, 09:02 PM
FitDay Member

Red face Newbie 3rd Shifter in WI

Hi, my name is Rae I work full time 3rd shift and I am fat. Nice to meet you too! LOL

I am in the process of going through my second divorce and a single parent of 3 very active and skinny boys (ages 10, 8, and 6). My x husband and I have 50/50 placement of the boys. I work the nights I don't have them, so it works out.

I am a very happy person, I joke a lot about my weight...even though I hate being this big. I didn't realize how big I looked (ok I did, but didn't think it was that bad) until I saw some pictures of me (on Facebook) at my son's baseball games...and I thought, "omg I can't believe how huge I look". So this is the turning point.

I do talk about how I don't want to lose weight for the following reasons:
1-I would have to go shopping for new clothes (I HATE shopping, I can't afford to keep buying new clothes, and I like the ones I have..lol).
2-Being fat keeps me warm in the Wisconsin winters..saves on electricity bills.
3-I won't have to learn any new recipes, because I like what i already know how to make..lol
4-My boobs will get smaller if i lose weight (and I like my boobs!).
5-Having a belly allows me to save space by putting my plate on my stomach while I am eating..so I don't drop crumbs all over and make a mess!
6-When my boys cuddle with me, they don't need to bring a pillow, because I am already "fluffy" (their words).

But of course as everyone knows there are many many more reasons why losing weight is a good thing.

There are more, but after working the last 30 of 38 hours (still 4 more to go), my brain isn't quite working..lol

Anyway, it is nice to meet everyone....and I wish the best of luck to everyone out there!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:39 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Rae,

What are your weight goals and what is your timeline? Welcome to fitday - lots of good people here to meet and support you.

From you list: Tip #1 You can stay warm in the winter by exercising.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 AM
FitDay Member

3rd shift is the worst for weight, not to mention overall health. My last graveyard gig, I'd have to duck out halfway through for coffee and a doughnut (or two) just to stay awake, then on the way home I'd be so wiped out I'd hit Mickey D's drive-thru instead of cooking real food. Is there any way you can get off 3rd?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:22 PM
FitDay Member

Good luck, it's very hard to lose while working night shift due to the disruption to your circadian rhythm ("day-night cycle"). It's not impossible though, I have seen people do it.

Try reading up on the glycemic index, because you're going to be more prone to insulin resistance due to increased cortisol levels while working nights.

If you're like me, you will have an exacerbation of hand-to-mouth disease around 3 AM. This is because you naturally experience a slump in energy and alertness around that time because of your circadian rhythym. Prepare by bringing nutritous snacks like carrot sticks with hummus. I also found that it helped to bring oatmeal and eat it around 6 AM before my shift ended, it kept me from swinging by the Mickey D's for a steak and egg bagel on the way home.

May I assume you work in health care? I am a nurse myself. On night shift, I found that between 3-5 AM there was usually somewhat of a lull in the work, due to trying to allow my patients a couple hours of sleep before their day got started. This made an excellent time to walk the halls of the hospital for about 20 minutes; the boost in circulation also did wonders for my alertness and helped me wean totally of soda, and cut back from 6 cups of coffee a day to 2 cups.

I don't think I need to tell you of the importance of sleep. A set of blackout blinds and a white noise machine do wonders toward helping you sleep deeply during the day time.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:21 PM
FitDay Member

Default Love working 3rd shift

Originally Posted by scarybaldguy
Is there any way you can get off 3rd?
...actually I LOVE 3rd shift. I have been doing it for about 18 months now...and did it for 5 years (about 4 years back). Now that I am back to being a single mom, technically I can switch to first shift...but i don't want to for the following reasons:
1-If the kids are sick from school, I have to take a day off.
2-In wisconsin, we seem to have a lot of snow/late start days, I would have to take a day off
3-For any dr appts/dentists/etc, I would have to take a day off.
4-I would have to work Monday-Friday 8am-5pm to get my hours in...when I can get all my hours in in 4 days instead...and have it much more relaxed.

I work logistics (sorry not health care), so i am at a desk on a computer all night (working with semi drivers and such). I work Wednesday/Thursday nights from 10pm-7am, and Friday/Saturday nights from 9pm-8am...with many many saturdays working until 1200. With my shift I have an unlimited amount of overtime I can pick up (someone on days will call in, and with working nights I know a little about all 30 accounts we handle).

Plus my xhusband gets our boys at 4pm on Wednesday and I pick them up at church at 9am on Sunday...so it works out perfectly for my schedule. Also when I work Friday and Saturday nights I am alone in the entire building, so it is relaxing and not very busy....lots of down time (which I enjoy).

I used to take walk around the inside of the building (6 times around is about 1.10 miles)...but I have been lazy and haven't been doing that lately

I do seem to get the 3am munchies...but that doesn't help that day shift (especially friday nights) will send emails letting us know that they had a "food day" and all leftovers are in the fridge for the taking....and they are GOOD (bad calorie) left overs...lol

I just need to get out of this "slump" and start actively losing weight..I know I will feel better...just need to get motivated....grrrrr
Old 08-04-2011, 05:24 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Spookycheeseofdoom
I don't think I need to tell you of the importance of sleep. A set of blackout blinds and a white noise machine do wonders toward helping you sleep deeply during the day time.
LOL, thankfully I lucked out and have a bedroom in the basement with ONE of those tiny basement windows that a pillow can be placed in to block out light. I also have a fan and sleeping sounds I use to get some sleep. I do pretty good with sleeping, since I have always had a problem waking up early (not a morning person).
Old 08-04-2011, 05:25 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Newlee11
Hi Rae,

What are your weight goals and what is your timeline? Welcome to fitday - lots of good people here to meet and support you.

From you list: Tip #1 You can stay warm in the winter by exercising.
My goal is almost 50lb by mid January. Which is about 10lbs a month...so i am really reaching. But right now I would be happy with anything.