Notices

New to this forum today

Old 07-10-2011, 03:45 AM
FitDay Member

Red face New to this forum today

Not new to dieting, but new to this forum. I'm 54, 5ft 4, and need to lose 100 lbs. My initial goal is 55 by 55th birthday in Dec. Lots of 5's here. Anyway, some days very discouraged. Been having a knee issue which hinders the ability to walk. Very frustrating. . Gotta move to lose. So looking for encouragement from folks who have lost the big numbers without surgery and finally get over a hump to feel good and move more easily.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:32 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you've made the commitment to lose your excess weight--congrats! This battle is at least 90 or 95% mental so getting your mind right (and keeping it there) is so important and that's where the forums here can help.

Please do check out our 100+ pounds to lose thread over in Diet Tips, if you like. There's lots of us there we are (or were) in your same prediciment.

Regards,
Michael
Old 07-11-2011, 01:02 AM
FitDay Member

hey welcome. i am also new as of yesterday. as fare as knees go i probably have a different problem but knees are knees, i found that biking is a lot easier on my knees and its just as good a work out.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default Welcome

Hi I'm new here too and have trouble with feet so I understand the need to find something different. I think, like someone else said that most of the battle is in our minds. Knee and feet problems are completely real but not allowing yourself to use that as a reason to not lose weight is the key.

I used to love to run and walk too and I'm also trying biking, like another said, but so far I don't love the bike enough to work hard that way. Maybe it will work out better for you. One of the things I'm doing that won't hurt my feet or your knees is doing a whole lot of core work and upper body resistance. If you move from one exercise to another quickly you can get your heart rate up, plus you build more muscle which will help your metabolism.

I lost 50 pounds 2 years ago, but should have lost 70. Since then I've put 20 back on and so now I'm here to take off 20 and then finish the job by taking off that last hard 20. Good luck to you.