Notices

Looking for encouragement

Old 07-04-2011, 02:15 PM
FitDay Member

Question Looking for encouragement

Hi Everyone.
I've been dieting for several months now; started with high carb, low protein and lost 6lbs in approx 6wks, then stopped. Went on a 100percent raw food vegan diet for 2 wks, lost 10lbs then got pneumonia. I switched to a low carb, high protein diet almost 2 wks ago. I lost 6lbs in the first week, but then cheated for 2 days and gained 8lbs back! Today I am starting over, with much hesitance and fear; I see that weight does come off, but if I have just some starch on occasion, am I just going to gain any weight I lose right back? Confused about all the different opinions on the "right" diet and really in need of some encouragement. Thanks for any input.
Starting weight: 175lbs
current weight: 164lbs
goal weight: 130lbs
Old 07-04-2011, 03:23 PM
FitDay Member

The rapid weight loss and regain is most likely because of the low carb approach.

When you eat few carbs, you burn off your body's stores of glycogen, appx 1 lb in an average person. When glycogen is stored, it binds water at a ratio of 4:1. So losing the lb. of glycogen means losing 4 lbs. of water. When you then eat carbs, your body overcompensates and stores more glycogen and water than usual.

Eat a balanced diet and watch the total calorie intake.

All the oddball diets won't teach you how to eat to keep the weight off.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:56 AM
FitDay Member

I think the best approach to weight loss is to make sure you burn more calories than you eat over time. Also you need to make sure that you are getting enough water, 64 oz baseline + another 8 oz for every 10 lbs you want to lose. And you need to keep track that you're nutritional needs are being met through either diet or supplements. Most fad diets really don't take all of those things into consideration, they just tell you what to eat for a few days. A fad diet is just that a "fad", while it might work for a few people it's not going to work for everyone, usually because they are so restrictive that you eventually cheat and also because most fad diets don't have a method to get you back on plan after a cheat day. Also every "body" is a little different so you have to wade through it and figure out what works for you.