Notices

Hello, new here ^-^

Old 07-02-2011, 12:50 PM
FitDay Member

Default Hello, new here ^-^

Hello everyone. I'm new here and pretty new o weight loss too. I've been around the same weight since college (graduated in 2000), give or take 10 pounds either way. I'm 5;6 and was 185lbs a few days ago though I'm told I don't look it.

When my husband joined weight watchers a few years ago they told me I really didn't need it and I've never really tried losing weight on purpose before having been pretty satisfied with the way I was.

But I've done some research into BMI, plus I see my Wii Fit readings every day and I know my weigh for my height is very overweight. Plus, I am going to be impersonating a historical character this August for a fair and I need to lose a bit to get into the old fashioned gown.

SO Here I am taking my first weight loss journey. ^^

I started on Tuesday and as of right now I have lost 3 pounds. I know it will come off faster in the beginning as I saw that with my husband. I have a good amount of willpower as long as I have access to the right foods and a very simple way to track them. Weight watchers frustrated me a bit trying to figure out the points for home cooked dinners and going out too. This site seems much more straightforward and simple.

My challenge will be getting healthy foods at my fingertips. I am visually impaired and don't drive so often I find myself with nothing to eat but what is in the vending machine at work unless I can get a lift to the store. And vending machine food is definitely NOT ideal. So I'm going to have to work hard at planning ahead I think.

Anyway nice to meet you all and I'm looking forward to some interesting and insightful conversations.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:07 PM
FitDay Member

I love the images your evocative name has flung into my warped brain! Just wanted to say hello from another newbie and good luck with it all, especially the planning ahead, as personally I find that 'good intentions food' planned in the morning really doesn't appeal at snack time.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:49 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks! Nice to meet you too and best of luck to you! Yeah I write a bit so I've used the nickname since college.

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes you just want something bad. But that's what those 100 calorie snackpacks are for. I'm doing pretty good so far, though I went out last night and kind of overdid it a little because I had no idea how many calories were in a mudslide. Next time I should prepare a bit more and know the calories of what I plan to have.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome aboard the forum, I saw that you posted in the Motivational Thread and meant to welcome you there, but then I saw this post. Good luck on your journey. Which character are you impersonating? My DD's want to do re-enacting, but we are sort of new to the whole thing.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:57 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Almeeker, thanks for the welcome.

I’m impersonating Maude Adams who was the first Peter Pan in America. Some say when J.M. Barrie wrote Peter Pan he had her in mind from the start.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:14 AM
FitDay Member

I like your attitude about overeating dessert. You recognized that you ate too much then decided what to do next time that happens. You didn't berate yourself, but instead used it as a lesson learned and moved on. I think with that kind of attitude you will be successful.

I always pack my lunch for work. Those good foods you pack in the morning just don't look appealing in the middle of the afternoon. I often pack myself some sort of little sweet to eat in the middle of the afternoon so that I can avoid the vending machines. I get cookies or crackers or even cereal and that will get me past the sweet craving and to dinner. I like graham crackers (regular or chocolate) or Special K with chocolate or even the Chocolate Mini-Wheats. It may be 150-200 calories, but it is better than the 250-300 calorie candy bar from the machine. Just make sure to measure it and include it in your food log. Thats what works for me.

Good luck.