Notices

New

Old 08-13-2011, 12:05 PM
FitDay Member

Default New

I'm new to this forum, any type of weight-loss forum, really. Over the years the pounds have crept up on me, so instead of paying for and trying some ridiculous fad diet I thought this would be the perfect for my weight loss goals. The calorie intake/burn is a little confusing to me - because according to my age/weight/height it says I burn 2197 calories per day DOING NOTHING. I try to work out 20-30 minutes a day on my Total Gym, but that still seems like alot of food to eat in a day's time for weight loss. I am aware that eating too little will put my body into 'starvation' mode, so I'll continue to read the forums to get my questions answered. I guess I'll know if I'm doing it correctly soon enough!
I haven't taken my measurements - I'm sure they'll be important to me for those weeks I don't lose pounds, but lose inches - but to be perfectly honest it takes all the discipline I can muster in order to just do a daily food log. Wish me luck -
**Ok - I see where I screwed up on the calorie intake. I should be only eating 1196 per day. That makes WAY more sense!**

Last edited by jma75; 08-13-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: realization
Old 08-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to FitDay jma75!

1196 calories seems really low to me!

Taking measurements is great! I do because my scale is a liar! Take before pics too!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:35 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome! Many of us find that adding in 8 hours of sleep to our daily activities puts the calorie burn more into line with reality (even though 8 hours of sleep is supposedly already figured into the calculation). You may have to adjust your activity level up or down as everyone is different and at best these calculations are an informed guesstimate.

1200 cals does seem low at your weight, but if you can stick with it you should see some quick results. The big problem is that you may find yourself getting too hungry and thus more prone to give up or "cheat". You might think about, say, 1500 cals which should still give you around a 2lbs. a week loss. I would also suggest you include plenty of protien--I personally try to keep about a 40/30/30 carb/fat/protien mix but again, do what works best for you.

Regards,
Michael
Old 08-14-2011, 04:30 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you both for the tips. And yes, 1200 seems low, but I am going to try it a couple of days. I planned today's meals last night & I'm still about 50 calories over, but I've already burned that on my total gym this morning. I woke up extremely hungry, but since breakfast I'm fine. I guess as the day goes on I'll find out. I'm also struggling with quitting smoking, so the hand-to-mouth obsession is what I really have to watch. I guess I'm going to go do my measurements - (and take a picture..lol)