FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Greetings and a quick question (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/4575-greetings-quick-question.html)

darthweasel 06-27-2011 10:57 AM

Greetings and a quick question

I will ask the question first...

How long does it take to change metabolism?

The specifics; having worked at a desk job until recently, I used the Harris-Benedict to set my calorie intake with a sedentary level. Then I started biking three times a week, changed it to Light.

Then I got an unbelievable deal at a chain gym (11 bucks a month) so started the gym thing. The plan was to work out 3 times a week, but for whatever reason the last three weeks have seen 5 days per week either playing basketball, golf, biking, or doing the gym.

It is not the plan to stick with that schedule as life will get in the way, but it does lead to the question; how many weeks should you go before adjusting the necessary calories to reflect a spike (or drop-off) in activity level?

Now to the introduction.
Recently hit my "danger weight" where I start getting chest issues, so set up my program to limit calories and use biking to boost the metabolism. Was 244 when I started that, 236 when I discovered this wonderful site.

My drop goal is 2 pounds a week with an initial goal of 210. I am currently dropping 2.8 pounds per week, but it is not necessarily a sustainable drop; For example, I stuck a half piund either way from 232.6 for a week, then we rode a 40 mph unscheduled ride Saturday and now I am 231 on the dot.

Because it is due to a burst of activity sandwiched between two "normal" workout days, I will not be surprised if it comes back or is unsustainable, but that is fine...I am a full week ahead of schedule and can simply adjust my intake a bit.

Other key changes have been instead of my typical fare of pizza and soda, I am eating a fair amount of fruits (strawberries, grapes, bananas and apples) and a few carrots...I hate most vegetables and do not care enough to fight past the nasty flavors to consume them, so that is probably about as far as it will change, but it is about 1000 % better.

I have been learning how to lift weights...something I had never done before. Mostly I just love to bike, so putting in anywhere from 60 to a hundred miles a week on that.

I am pretty much a "if I don't enjoy it I do not bother" type of dude so the foods and exercise routines are unreasonably limited, but with careful monitoring, everything is falling into place.

mecompco 06-27-2011 12:38 PM

I would suggest choosing your "lifestyle" based upon what most of your day consists of. Then, add your specific exercises/activities (or as close as possible). Many of us also add in 8 hours of sleep as we find the calorie burn to bit a bit optimistic when compared with reality.

Regards,
Michael

PS From what I understand, the only way to boost your basal metabolism is to increase your muscle mass. And, that takes quite a while unless your on some performance enhancer (not that it can't be done, of course).

darthweasel 06-28-2011 03:24 AM

Excellent, thanks. Just have noticed here and elsewhere people mentioning not eating enough causing issues. Counter-intuitively, the more I work out, the less food I am hungry for and did not want to err too much on that side.

bmkess 06-28-2011 06:15 AM

You weigh about the same as me (I'm 5'11"), I'm going to the gym 6 days a week. I have Fridays off to do whatever I want to do (not going to the gym) and it has seemed to work out well so far. I think that it is good that you are going to the gym (or getting some sort of activity 5 days a week). It will not only speed weight loss, but if it's something you like doing, it won't seem as hard.

Biking is good cardio if you keep your heart rate in the optimal range. Otherwise what has worked for me is the eliptical at the gym. Right now the only thing that I can suggest to you is drinking a lot of water. It seems to help shed pounds, and also it somewhat helps with hunger.

darthweasel 06-29-2011 02:55 AM

Last night I switched it up a bit and decided to do 30 on the stationary, then do my weight circuit, then finish with the stationary. Since I like more resistance at a lower rpm, I set the heart rate higher than normal (I get bored when it is too easy to pedal).

Thought I was not sweating as much as normal even though I was working harder than normal and had dropped 6 17 oz bottles of water throughout the day, so well hydrated.

When I got up from the bike there were puddles of water on both side about a foot long and 4 inches across...just standing water. I fel better then....

Working the weights for the first time ever. Keep track in a notebook of which ones I do, which order, weight, reps, and if it was not enough weight, just right to give that "can barely do the last one", or too much (could not do enough reps). Showing some progress.

So yeah, the water consumption and gym routine will definitely be a major part of what I do, though my first love is still riding 30 - 50 miles after work 3ish times a wekk, then having a longer weekend ride. Does not have the benefit of adding the lean muscle mass, but riding with my buddy and getting so much stronger there is certainly nice.

dear_abby 06-29-2011 05:03 AM

Hi DarthWeasel (great name!)

If you're interested, a bunch of us post on "did you exercise today" - we root each other on and celebrate things like good bike rides. We would welcome you - some people there are amazing athletes, some are strivers, all have encouragement!

Abby

ronh001 07-10-2011 07:43 AM

Look on the net for 'Basal metabolic rate calculator'. Will ask for Height,weight,age,sex and give your BMR.....Use this for your metabolism on fitday versus the sitting,standing etc. Which doesn't fit our requirements.