Oh hello everyone. >

Oh hello everyone.

Community
Notices

Oh hello everyone.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:47 AM
FitDay Member

Default Oh hello everyone.

So I've been on this site for a while, but been up and down with my weight loss. This time I am more determined then ever to lose the weight (and keep it off).

I used to play basketball in my highschool but ever since I went through college I gained more than the freshman 15.

Currently I'm at 237, but last week I was at 249 (I think I'm losing water weight)

Every day (except for friday) I go to the gym and walk about 2.5 miles and keep my heart rate at about 170 for 33 minutes.

I think I'm going to start lifting weight soon, as I hear that lifting weights will help you lose weight and burn more calories (muscle burns more than fat).

I'm drinking a lot more water now-a-days and not any soda or sports drinks.

My goal overall I'm not sure about and that is a question I have. What should be the goal weight for a 5'11" Male? For now it's 200, but I'm sure I will still be overweight at 200. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I've tried looking it up but they were giving me some weird numbers that seemed very unhealthy.

-Thanks, and I look forward to getting to know all of you (and helping keep everyone motivated).

Oh P.S. I'm 22.

Last edited by bmkess; 06-26-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Hi bmkess, welcome to FitDay.

If you look under your "Weight" tab, it should highlight the healthy range for your height. The ones there are the ones you will probably find elsewhere; it's pretty standard unless you're a bodybuilder, a swimmer, or some other exceptions. They are mostly tied to BMI, which is negligible in terms of usefulness to begin with, but...

I'm not sure what you mean by weird or unhealthy numbers, but I can tell you that my husband's the same height as you. At his heaviest, he was about 235; usually he's been about 210. When he got to 200, he was surprised to learn that he was still considered "overweight," but as he's gotten into the low 190s recently, he can see how he still has a little way to go. So maybe numbers that seem unreasonable to you now might not as they get closer; I remember him saying the same thing.

Good luck! Glad you found the forums. Don't be a stranger!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Hi bmkess, welcome to FitDay.

If you look under your "Weight" tab, it should highlight the healthy range for your height. The ones there are the ones you will probably find elsewhere; it's pretty standard unless you're a bodybuilder, a swimmer, or some other exceptions. They are mostly tied to BMI, which is negligible in terms of usefulness to begin with, but...

I'm not sure what you mean by weird or unhealthy numbers, but I can tell you that my husband's the same height as you. At his heaviest, he was about 235; usually he's been about 210. When he got to 200, he was surprised to learn that he was still considered "overweight," but as he's gotten into the low 190s recently, he can see how he still has a little way to go. So maybe numbers that seem unreasonable to you now might not as they get closer; I remember him saying the same thing.

Good luck! Glad you found the forums. Don't be a stranger!
The numbers that I was getting were like 150-160 and if I was 150 I would look anorexic. 180-190 is about where I think I'm good at.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds good; you're young and motivated and should get there in no time.

I like this calculator; it gives different weight ranges; pretty informative. Ultimately, it's up to you where you feel good and where you're healthy.

Better Ideal Weight Body Calculations
Old 06-26-2011, 01:15 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Sounds good; you're young and motivated and should get there in no time.

I like this calculator; it gives different weight ranges; pretty informative. Ultimately, it's up to you where you feel good and where you're healthy.

Better Ideal Weight Body Calculations
Thanks for the calculator, I guess about 155-179 is medically healthy, so that is what I will shoot for. But for right now my goal is 200. After that I want to lose a steady 2 lbs a week.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:14 AM
FitDay Member

Good for you for getting such a good start! I think the "ideal" weight would depend on how much muscle mass you put on. I think bones get denser with muscle mass too. The university I'm near has an exercise physiology program and they have the fancy equipment to do fat %. If you can get a good reading on fat, you could make your goal based on losing only that fat.