Notices

Hello I'm A Newbie!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2011, 05:11 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hello I'm A Newbie!!!!!!!

My biggest weakness in all of this is maintaining once I get started. Are there any suggestion to hanging on to the motivation?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:42 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Lots of us find that just posting our daily log gets a bit addictive. Some folks use the logs to plan their meals for the day, which is really helpful. You can see right away whether you are better off with that grilled rueben sandwich, or a nice veggie wrap for lunch.

Planning is the key to success here, and yes at some point all of us have gotten a little obsessive with the calorie counting, it can be part of the learning processes. So one way to stay motivated is to log in at least once a day and start entering your foods, activites, profile. Work with the weight goal tool and check the forums from time to time. Lots of inpiration there/here!
Old 06-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

shenash, along with what Pam said (and I notice Pam did not tell you to pick out some new clothes, though that works...sorry, Pam, couldn't resist, because I've been in the same boat), it may be helpful to join a thread, like the 7-Day-Motivational Thread in the Women's Corner section or the Lose 10% by July 4, or Friday Weigh In, or 100+ Pounds to Lose (if that fits). Somehow connecting with a group of regulars is very motivating. Good luck, and welcome!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:05 PM
FitDay Member

I find, for me, that a week is a good chunk of time for motivation. I use a planner and at the beginning of the week, I write down when I am going to exercise and what I am going to do. I also write down my food goals as well. As the week progresses, I circle the workouts I did with time and or distance (if its running or biking) next to it. Sometimes I write down the calories for each day as well.

Fitday actually does this a little in the calendar.

At the end of the week, before the next one, I review what I did and how close I came to my goals. I also try to think about how I can do better the following week or what changes I need to make. Then I set up my goals for the next week. Sometimes I have good weeks and sometimes bad, but I never give up completely and its usually not too hard to get back on track.

I hope this helps or gives you some ideas.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:06 PM
FitDay Member

For me, seeing my daily calorie deficit is very motivating. I agree that it can get addictive!

I also buy jeans in a smaller size and try them on occasionally, noting how they fit (or rather, don't fit) and how much better they are fitting over time. Once I am actually in that size, I get rid of the larger size so I have nothing to grow back into!

The easiest way for me to stay on track is to plan it, weigh it, log it, eat it. Oh, and I add in a couple of "free" meals a week so I don't feel so deprived and I have something to look forward to (just don't go overboard on the freebies).