FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Calorie counting newbie is reading Primal/Nourishing Traditions (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/4238-calorie-counting-newbie-reading-primal-nourishing-traditions.html)

simplicitybythesea 05-08-2011 08:01 PM

Calorie counting newbie is reading Primal/Nourishing Traditions

Hi!

I'm a 5'5 women who weighs 233lbs. I started going on a dieting last Fall for my first time in my life. I have always been overweight all my life. I thought the diet was working in the beginning since I lost some weight in the few weeks then nothing. It's 6m later and I've only lost around 10lbs. So I'm probably doing something wrong.

I have joined this site to learn how calorie counting works. I'm already confused about it.

I started reading the Weston Price website last Fall about Nourshing Traditions. I changed all my diet. I cut out all fast food, frozen food and started making my meals at home using the clean eating rules. i started moving more like walking stair stepper and at home excersie like situps and jumpin jacks. I thought the weight would come off me. But I was wrong.

i ordered a book called Primal Blueprint by Mark Sison. But until it comes I am readin his site. I tried doing low carb but found the lowest i could go even with taking out bread rice pasta beans was 75-100g carbs. I still drink milk and eat cheese. but from what i read on nourising traditions by sally fallon i try to buy raw milk. It tastes funny but i am getting used to it.

I went to the doctor to see if something is wrong with me, but the tests came back negative so i can't figure out why i'm not losing weight. am i meant to be fat all my life?

i would appreciate some advice on how to figure how many calories i need to eat to lose weight. i want to lose at least 50lbs this year, if i can. then try the rest next year.

also help on what types of excercise i can do. i'm fat of course out of shape so doing instanity or zumba is out the question. I tried them and couldn't keep up. i try to walk everyday. and i work out at my friend's house she has a treadmill and a elliptical trainer- i go maybe 3 times a week.

I cut out sugar, even splenda from my life, potatoes, pasta, bread, rice, beans, grains. i won't lie and say i never eat potatoes or a slive of bread, coz i do sometimes sneak a few soonful of mashed potatoes or a slive of bread but i keep it to only one a day. I'm eating mostly chicken & turkey breast, canned tuna, eggs and when i can afford it beef, and fish. i try to keep my carbs under 100g acco rding to what i read on the atkins www

really i would appreciate help with calorie counting nourishing traditions primal blueprint and excercise; thank you very much - i'm really confused and deprssed at what a bad job i have been doing.

Maria

Esofia 05-08-2011 09:57 PM

Hello! I'm new too, I've been doing this for a few weeks.

I know you're feeling despairing, but you've already made a lot of positive changes. You've cut out junk, you're showing a lot of discipline, you're exercising regularly.

I'm guessing that you're consuming too many calories and limiting your diet too severely. If you really are eating nothing but animal foods, that's extremely unbalanced. Unless you have coeliac disease, you shouldn't need to cut out all grains, and even coeliacs have a fair number of grains they can still eat. (I went gluten-free for a year, I should know.) Pulses are good too. And what's happening with fruit and veg?

For the time being, why don't you try eating a good variety of foods and concentrating on the calorie side of things. Have you tried using the FitDay calculator to see how many calories it recommends? It's meant to be fairly good. Log absolutely everything you eat, make sure you get the amounts correct (you get to know your kitchen scales and measuring cups very well, though after a while you can do some of it by eye), and FitDay will tot up the calories for you. It also tots up carbs, fat, protein, micronutrients, pretty much everything (except for sugars and pantothenic acid, for some odd reason) and does nice little analyses for you. Log your diet for a few days, then come back and tell us how many calories you're consuming, your balance of carbs/protein/fat, and how many calories FitDay things you should be eating.

There's a good post somewhere here by a professional archaeologist who has pointed out that these primal blueprint diets are wildly inaccurate in their estimation of what early humans ate, and that in fact the diet was a great deal more varied than that. Possibly it's a page or two into the "dangers of Atkins" thread?

By the way, isn't raw milk meant to be quite the health risk? There's a reason why it's not the standard form of milk.

mecompco 05-09-2011 12:22 AM

Maria, welcome!

I don't see any mention of your calorie intake in your post. Accurately tracking your calorie intake and expenditure is the key to weight loss. Although certain nutritional mixes may speed or slow weight loss depending upon your body chemistry, at the end of the day it is calories in vs. calories out that causes weight loss (or lack thereof).

You need to track what you eat and drink and figure out your daily calorie burn to come up with a daily calorie deficit that you can live with (i.e. will keep you full so you don't go off-plan) and that will give you the average weekly loss you want.

Oh, and you really should do "something" for exercise--walking is tough to beat and is what I do (well, jogging now that I'm down to a more reasonable weight).

The last thing is to drink as much water as you comfortably can--within reason, the more you drink the faster you'll lose.

Regards,
Michael