Notices

Hi ~ Newbie Here

Old 04-16-2011, 05:57 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hi ~ Newbie Here

Hello everyone,

I started Fitday and logged some of my foods and exercises.

I want to lose about 30 lbs maybe 35 lbs. What goal time should I give myself?

I am 54 yrs old, 5 ft 3 inches and weigh 172. The weight is not coming off. I run the treadmill 30 minutes a day and ride a bike (not stationary) about 3 times a week for 30 minutes.

I'm not quite sure if I am eating enough calories. I have entered my stats on many websites but they all come out different. I don't work, I am retired.

I have marked mostly seated with some movement for my lifestyle activity level.

Can someone help me figure the calories I need to eat to lose my weight? Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you so much
Old 04-16-2011, 12:21 PM
FitDay Member

1-2 lbs per week is safe number. Diet will play an important role is reaching your goal. You're keeping yourself active and should consider weight training.

Everybody is different with caloric intake. I suggest u gradually decrease it and try for 1600-2500 cals a day.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:00 PM
FitDay Member

Since I joined fitday and started logging my food I have never gone over 1400 or 1500? I believe 1600-2500 is way too many calories.

I should start some weight training, but still trying to see how many calories my body needs.

Congrats with your weigh loss and thanks for helping me.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:03 PM
FitDay Member

Calories are tricky. The body is clever and loves to store extra cals as fat. I take in about 2000-3000 a day, but train with heavy weights. Good luck and hang in there!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:10 PM
FitDay Member

Location: I live in LA, land of too much good food and too many underweight women.

Figuring out your calories is definitely like a science experiment and there are so many articles and calculators out there with varying answers.

I think you're not eating enough, if you are exercising that much! Try adding 200-400 calories each day and see if you lose anything. Also make sure your calories are coming from good foods, you know, whole grains, lean meats, veggies, non processed natural low fat foods. I definitely notice the difference when I eat 1800 calories of processed food versus 1800 calories of healthy food, not only in my fitness goals but my energy & stress levels.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

I put my two cents in for the OP on the other thread, but just wanted to throw out the caution that, in recommending calories, be sure to take into account all factors. The OP is 5'3" and 54, and female, I'm assuming, so that all plays into it. Just for comparison, I'm an inch shorter, 12 years younger, and I burn, total, on days I don't exercise, about 1500 calories. That's to maintain my weight, not lose.

I'm in agreement with skysaff in that 1600-2500 is too many calories for consistent weight loss, even with the exercise. The 1600 might work for a while, but as you get smaller, you'll have to drop it further or deal with a much slower loss. I run, too, and it only burns about 245 calories in about 40 minutes. But as I posted on the other thread, you can't get crazy low on calories, either, and cycling them might be a good thing.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:55 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you all for responsing.

I did try to stick to around 1000 to 1100 calories yesterday and with the little excersie I did and the water I drank, I dropped 2 lbs. I really think this is too low but added a bit more protein to my foods but still hard for me to find protein foods. I dont eat meat (only chicken) I bought some cottage cheese today (for protein).

I also lowered my fat intake by 10 or 12 percent??

yesterday results listed below

Calories Burned Today 1,636

walking very brisk pace (4.0 mph) @:30 ~ 140 calories burned
sleeping 8:00 ~ 403 calories burned
biking 10 mph or less at 15 minutes calories burned ~ 60

lifestyle Sedentary 1,038 calories
---------------------
Calories Burned Today 1,636

Calories Eaten 1,008 (if measured correctly) give or take 100 calories over? I try to enter the correct amounts and weigh my foods

Fat 42. Carbs 33. Protein 24

I'm really 5 3 and 1/2 but I calculate my height at 5 ft 3 in.

Yes I'm older and have been sedentary the last 2 yrs so I need to jumpstart my metabolism. Thanks to all for the wonderful advise.

Thank you and good luck to all of you,
Sky
Old 04-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Skysaff, how long have you been stuck?

I would agree in getting the protein up. Also, if you look at the breakdown of your fats, weight loss happens more quickly if your monounsaturated fat (and poly, to an extent) are lower than your saturated fat.

Great efforts...they will pay off soon!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:15 AM
FitDay Member

Well since I started on fitday, I think on the 5th of this month I haven't lost anything but have just maintained.

What foods would you recommend without saturated fat?

My fitness & food reports are public if you want to take a peek.

I used to do Atkins, over 8 yrs ago but I can't handle all the meat.

Thank you
Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

The best foods for monounsaturated fat are nuts, nut butters, olive oil, canola oil, and avocado. Basically, I believe, most fats and oils that do not come from animals are low in saturated fats.

I have tried for years and years to get to my goal weight. The things that I did differently this time include upping the protein and increasing the good fats. It worked. I usually have about 50% carbs and 20-30% each fat and protein. But it is different for everyone. Greek yogurt is also a good source of protein. If you eat soy and soy products, that's a good source as well. How about eggs? Legumes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.