Notices

Trying to help my fiance lose weight

Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 AM
FitDay Member

Default Trying to help my fiance lose weight

she's 400lbs and needs to lose weight in order to show progress and an ability to change her lifestyle prior to the insurance company aproving a lap band procedure. She's had trouble losing any weight at all and the dietician recommend she use the food journal here to record what she's consuming. This way the dietician will at least have something concrete to look at in the event she continues to have trouble losing any weight. Any suggestions on using the log would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to FitDay. I think it's great that you are wanting to help her. This may be a stupid question but why isn't she posting this thread up? I'm just wondering b/c you said SHE needs to lose weight in order to show progress and an ability to change HER LIFESTYLE.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-29-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:05 PM
FitDay Member

Yes, where is "she"? BTW, I have several friends with the lap-band, and a couple of relatives. It hasn't worked for any of them, but one thing they all have in common now is barfing and the bad teeth to prove it. None of them can get fresh veggies or whole wheat bread to pass through the band, so they end up eating junky foods instead. You may want to investigate other avenues, like hiring a personal trainer or a lifestyle coach and/or taking a class in nutrition. Also you may want to look into what your insurance will charge to remove the lap-band, because all the people I know that have one want to get it removed, but not one of them can get their insurance to pay for it. The out of pocket cost for the removal is around $11,000 US.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:02 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
welcome to FitDay. I think it's great that you are wanting to help her. This may be a stupid question but why isn't she posting this thread up? I'm just wondering b/c you said SHE needs to lose weight in order to show progress and an ability to change HER LIFESTYLE.
Hi 01gt4. that is a fair question. I have more time than she does. I mostly came on this site to access the food tracker and I saw the forums were here too.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:02 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Yes, where is "she"? BTW, I have several friends with the lap-band, and a couple of relatives. It hasn't worked for any of them, but one thing they all have in common now is barfing and the bad teeth to prove it. None of them can get fresh veggies or whole wheat bread to pass through the band, so they end up eating junky foods instead. You may want to investigate other avenues, like hiring a personal trainer or a lifestyle coach and/or taking a class in nutrition. Also you may want to look into what your insurance will charge to remove the lap-band, because all the people I know that have one want to get it removed, but not one of them can get their insurance to pay for it. The out of pocket cost for the removal is around $11,000 US.
WOW that is scary. Mary
Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I know the lap-band works for some. A lady I work with has one and has stayed slim. Of course, she actually had to GAIN weight in order to qualify for it. I know others who have regained some or all of their previous weight. If you don't change your mind-set, you CAN overeat the lap band.

Now, as much as you love someone, you can't MAKE them lose weight (I know from experience). You CAN help them, though, and I applaud you for trying to do so.

She really needs to make this a lifestyle change. Less than a year ago I was as big or bigger than she is now. A few simple changes in lifestyle and close to 200 pounds is gone.

Just some thoughts.

I, too, would encourage her to log on in person and join us here--there's lots of folks who care and are happy to lend support.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-29-2011, 11:26 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
I know the lap-band works for some. A lady I work with has one and has stayed slim. Of course, she actually had to GAIN weight in order to qualify for it. I know others who have regained some or all of their previous weight. If you don't change your mind-set, you CAN overeat the lap band.
I know 6 people with the lap-band, and all of them are heavier now than they were before the surgery.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:24 AM
FitDay Member

If you are just after the numbers then I don't think it matters who enters them into Fitday, but if she is trying to loose weight then I think she would greatly benefit from the support and the feedback provided in the forums.

To me the forum is one of the best features of Fitday. It really helps me to hear of the trials and successes of people struggling with the same issues as I have.

I hope that whatever method she chooses works for her.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Eliochacon
Hi 01gt4. that is a fair question. I have more time than she does. I mostly came on this site to access the food tracker and I saw the forums were here too.
okay, if she had a drinking problem would you go to AA on her behalf, b/c she didn't have enough time? To me it sounds like if she can't find the time to take care of herself then she doesn't want to lose the weight as much as you want her to lose the weight. Lap ban & gastric bypass should be a very last alternative. She should exhaust every effort before that's even considered and if she has you on here for her then she's not putting forth the effort.

Having a good support group is a big factor in anyone's success, I just hope that she wants it more than anyone else. There's a reason why the insurance company whats her to prove that SHE can make the change, they don't want to waste the money on her like they have on so many other people, and I can't blame them. This is a lifestyle change and the insurance company wants to see that she"s willing to make that change.

Good luck to her and when she finds the time to take care of herself, we'll still be here to support her.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-30-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:57 PM
FitDay Member

Please do not take my post to be mean, I am new to this forum myself. I also have about 100 pounds to lose, and I know exactly how hard it is.

I am a registered nurse in a surgical ICU, and I work with people who have gastric surgery. For many, many of them, it does not work because they haven't fixed what's going on in their heads. You don't get to be 50, 100, 200 lbs overweight unless you frequently over-ride your body's satiety signals and eat for mental reasons. Your fiancee MUST improve her relationship with food in order to begin losing weight.

I have begun using the FitDay food log because it helps me to pinpoint my weaknesses, and the journal helps me to think about what's going on around me when I eat. I actually log on every time I am preparing a meal, so that I can enter my numbers before I get started and figure out what/how much I can eat for each meal before I blow my allowance for the day. It is a huuuuge eye opener to see how many calories you are consuming in a sitting. It also helps keep me in check, because if I have a chore (like entering intake into a food log) associated with eating, it helps to keep me from snacking when I'm not hungry.