Notices

who needs to lose more than 200lbs?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 AM
FitDay Member

Question who needs to lose more than 200lbs?

im 27 yrs old...and weigh 457lbs. i need lots of motivation so if anyone can give me tips please help. thanks
ive been at my heaviest at 471lbs last week. im scared i wont be able to see my 7 month old grow up. especially since im only 27. i dont know how i got to this point. im mad that i let this get so far. my husband is very supportive and everyone wants me to be healthy but untill i want to lose weight...i wont. i have to do this for myself.

so far i was able to walk up on flight of stairs...even though it took a few breaks in between steps. it was a small victory.

now im going for a big goal. i want to be able to walk around my pool twice. its a big pool.

one day i hope to be able to walk around walmart without having to ride in one of those electric carts.

ive been starving myself.
but i need to find some other way to do this.

my goal for this week is to eat 1,000 calories

Last edited by symphony\'smom; 03-21-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:23 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, symphony'\smom, and welcome to FitDay.

I hope you mean 1,000 calories per day? If you consume less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. Sometimes, restricting yourself so severely can only be setting yourself up for failure because after a week, maybe two, you're going to be very sick of the drastic reduction in foods . . . unless you have willpower with the strength of kryptonite, of course. However, it's not the healthiest way to lose weight. You need to work out a calorie intake that is healthy for YOU. If you cut back too much, your body will revert to 'starvation mode', which, if you think about it, makes a lot of sense. The body was designed for the hunting-and-gathering lifestyle. If you're not putting enough (healthy) food in your body, you body thinks it's winter-time, food is scarce, and starts to store all the fat to continue to supply you with energy through what it supposes is the 'winter months' or months of poor hunting.

I understand your wanting to be around for your baby's life. May I make a suggestion that, instead of cutting back your calories so very much, you instead substitute your 'empty' calories for healthy foods? Instead of cooking with oil, use a bit of stock. Pile your dinner plate with steamed vegetables. Change out a few meals of the week for dinners with grilled fish and poached or grilled chicken. Snack on a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts. Drink lots and lots of water. Change your white bread to whole wheat. Start choosing foods that are low in fat (making sure they're not substituting sugar for fat), low in salt. There are heaps of sites on the internet that give tasty, low calorie recipes and most even provide a nutritional guide.

You can set up, if you haven't already, your activities tab, which will show you, once you've input the relevant information, how many calories you burn per day just by your body performing its normal bodily functions. If you make sure you have about a 500 calorie deficit, you will lose the weight.

Well done for your achievement with the stairs. Do you have a goal date in mind for getting around the pool? It's wonderful your family is so supportive!

It's going to take time, as everything that's worth it does. Keep that in mind, come to the forums for support and motivation and stick with it. There are some wonderful people here that have lost, or are on the journey to lose lots of weight. Know that it's not impossible and you can do it!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 AM
FitDay Member

thank u sooo much. and yes i meant 1,000 a day.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:57 AM
FitDay Member

I'm going to second that bit about researching how much you need in a day and upping the amount of exercise you get. I know it's really hard in the beginning. On the Motivational thread there is a poster named "Mern" who started off being able to walk in her living room for less than 5 minutes, now she's up to like a mile and a half walking at the park. I think she started in Jan or Feb and is taking it slowly, one little baby step at a time. On 1,000 calories/day, I would be a seriously mean human, so you may want to make an adjustment on that amount. Seriously being at a healthy weight is not about starvation, it's about eating the right kinds of food, in moderation and getting enough exercise. You have to make sure you get enough protein in your diet, because if all your calories come from carbs, it's makes losing weight that much harder. Once you start logging all you foods on this site, you can take a look at where your calories are coming from and make the necessary modifications. Oh and she's right about the water, water water water, can't stress it enough. 64 oz/day baseline + another 8oz for every 10 pounds you want to lose.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome!

Last May I was more-or-less where you are now. Less than a year later I'm somewhere around 175 pounds lighter and can easily walk a couple of miles--before it was all I could do to hobble across the parking lot (with, perhaps, a stop to catch my breath).

All you need is to log your calories (I would really consider a bit higher--the LAST time I lost a couple hundred pounds I did 1000 cals and it was tough--1500 is much easier, I find), do some sort of exercise, and drink water (and more water and more water).

You might want to drop in to our 100+ To Lose thread over in Diet Tips. We also have a new Lose 10% of Your Body Weight by the Fourth of July Challenge starting soon, if you're interested.

If there is anything we can do to help, just ask.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-21-2011, 01:23 PM
FitDay Member

thank u all so much. i think i will check out that 100 plus
Old 03-21-2011, 03:30 PM
FitDay Member

Hey, I had a thought that might help with getting enough water and perhaps curb over-eating at meals . . . if you have a nice, big glass of water right before you sit down to eat, the water will make you feel a little bit full. This means you probably won't eat quite as much at your meal. So it's win-win.

By the way, if you're not lucky enough to have tanks and get to drink rainwater, I would recommend getting yourself a water filter to remove some of the taste of 'town water'. I know some people have great difficulty choking it down (I've been spoiled with rainwater tanks, and now I can't stand town water). If you've got a little bit of spare cash, you could even get a water filter/cooler. One of the guys on here shared this tip: your body has to work to warm the water, so it's a few bonus calories burned. Probably not much, but every bit helps.