FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   New here (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/3772-new-here.html)

flcowgirl78 03-22-2011 01:46 AM

New here

Hello all. I am at the heaviest I have ever been (including while pregnant with my son 9 years ago). I feel like crap and am sick of it. I am going to lose weight and get back to feeling human instead of constantly tired and energyless. I am over hearing my own excuses about why I can't lose weight and I am going to find a way. I lost about 15 pounds 3 years ago and had lots of success with tracking what I ate (and as a bonus I felt great!). I am trying that method again and just trying to be more active. I cannot afford nor do I have time to go to a gym so I am ordering a pedometer today to try to up my activity level.

A little back ground: I am a single mom, full time student with a full time job so time is at a premium for me. That is why I am trying to just fit activity into my schedule where ever I can manage to cram it. If anyone has any suggestions for me as to how to get more activity into my life, I would appreciate it.

Anyway, I am committed to losing at least 45 pounds by the end of this year so...

almeeker 03-22-2011 05:23 AM

Good for you honey. I have a pedometer and swear by it. One thing I do to get more steps in is to park my car as far away from the door as possible. I think that alone probably gets me an additional few miles a week. I also like to walk the kids to school, they have to walk 12 minutes an I have to walk 24. As a full time student you might want to get a bike and use that to navigate the campus. On campus it can be faster than a car (and cheaper) and you burn a lot of calories.

SvetaDoll 03-22-2011 12:18 PM

I agree with Almeeker, i have lost 13lb in the past 2 months JUST by riding to college. I ride 6 days a week and its about 15/20minutes each way. I have so much more energy now than i did before i started.... and i could have bought a car and started to drive but i am also like you and needed the exercise to 'flow' with my schedule. Taking an hour to go to a gym doesn't stick with me.... i need it to not interfere with my day!

So... cycling has worked for me so far :)

Marilouf 03-22-2011 08:37 PM

Hi flcowgirl78,

I’m also new here but it makes a while that I’m trying to increase activity in my life.

Another idea to do activity without going to the gym is to get some exercises DVD. What I like with the exercises DVD it’s that you can do it inside when the weather is not beautiful. Furthermore, that allows you to do body-building at home without having material of training.

From my part, I like the DVD from beachbody I already have the Slim in 6 one and I have ordered the Turbo Jam DVD that I’m supposed to receive this week. I read so many goods comments about this DVD, I’m really excited about doing it.

In brief, maybe that exercises DVD can help you to increase your activity!

myjazzystarr 03-24-2011 08:32 PM

Hi!
I am new as well... still trying to figure out the site but seems great :)
a pedometer is a great idea - i think i should get one too. activity while at work could even be a few trips up and down a set of stairs?

DancinBear2 03-25-2011 03:03 AM

flcowgirl78 you already have one of the best pieces of exercise equipment ever invented, a nine year old boy. Instead of spending time making a large dinner, throw together a couple of sandwhiches and some fruit, then head down to the park and have a picnic. Be sure to pack a frisbee or soccer ball to get you moving.