Start Date - goals and story

Community
Notices

Start Date - goals and story

Old 03-19-2011, 12:39 PM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb Start Date - goals and story

Hello,
I'm so excited to officially start a diet. It's funny how the scale can hover around a number for weeks and then gaining one pound can be the little extra that pushes a person into seeing that they need to recognize they've gained weight. That's pretty much what happened to me this week.
In two and half years, I've gained 20lbs. On a good note, I had a great time gaining the weight -- a mix drink or three every other night and delicious food without much restraint.
On a bad note, I now look like a penguin. Penguins are cute and all, but they're not sexy. Additionally, I'm not one of those lucky people who gains weight all over. I gain wait in two places -- love handles and belly. Also not sexy.
Another thing that's really pushed me to lose the weight are several signs of Type II Diabetes. Most of my mom's side has it, so I definitely need to work on not getting it.
Most of all, I just want to feel good about myself again. I gained 10 lbs this winter. Hiding under layers made my weight gain too easy. I do not want to wear layers through a sweltering spring and summer because I feel embarrassed about my body. Been there; done that; don't want to go back.
Thanks for reading! I hope you stick to your goal and really make this happen. I'm sure you're beautiful just the way you are, but we need to be our most beautiful. We deserve it!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to FitDay!

I agree about the layers making it easy to ignore any gains. I usually wear summer clothes around my house during the winter because you can't ignore what you see in tanks and boxers!

Are you doing a diet or are you making lifestyle changes to reach your goal?

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to FitDay! Like vabeachgirlNYC said, hiding under layers does make it easier. Once the weight starts to come off the clothes get less and less layered and before you know it you'll be buying all new clothes. I can also agree about the tanks and boxers.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:24 PM
FitDay Member

Great idea! Lifestyle change and diet. I have a couple of mix drinks a night, several times a week. That a lot of sugar. I can also see that it's been aging me lately. Very not good. I also want to start exercising regularly. Jogging twice a week and cardio 40 minutes 5 times a week for the next three months. This will help me get to my goal faster. Great photo! Hopefully I'll have a stomach like that in no time.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 PM
FitDay Member

Hi, I am new here. After years of being over weight and then having a back injury in 2006 and gaining an extra 30kgs now is the time I must get healthy! I also found out I have PCOS which is not helpful!!
Im sick of feeling like everyone is looking at me and judging me when they dont know my story. I want to get healthy and one day have children. My back does have an effect on how much I exercise but I need to try harder. Even if most days it is really painful it will be much better for me in the end.
Hopefully by joining this site it will encourage me to be stricter on myself. Good luck to you all and hope you all reach your goals. Mine is 30kgs in 11months!! Fingers crossed!!!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:05 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by zombiegirl9
Great idea! Lifestyle change and diet. I have a couple of mix drinks a night, several times a week. That a lot of sugar. I can also see that it's been aging me lately. Very not good. I also want to start exercising regularly. Jogging twice a week and cardio 40 minutes 5 times a week for the next three months. This will help me get to my goal faster. Great photo! Hopefully I'll have a stomach like that in no time.
Yes, I, too got into the nightly drink or three habit. Usually beer but often vodka.

It's a pretty bad habit on a number of levels, weight loss included. Not only do you have the calories you also have the alcohol keeping the liver busy processing it instead of metabolising fat so a double whammy.

I know it's a tough habit to break, but I went to having alcohol once a week and now once a month, at most. You might give that a try--once the habit is "broken", the urge gets smaller and smaller (though has yet to go away entirely).

Regards,
Michael