Notices

Where to begin...

Old 03-15-2011, 11:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default Where to begin...

Lets see, I'm a 6'4 275 pound 22 year old male. Growing up I always played team sports (you name it I've probably tried it) I went to a college that was out of state and my meal plans consisted of take-out, fast food, and greasy cafeteria slop. Needless to say the pounds packed on quite fast.

Now... Earlier this month I joined a local gym that a few friends and my co-workers go to. It's time for a life change... I workout 5 sometimes 6 days a week with one rest. Usually doing M, W, and F as full body strength training and T, Th, S as cardio with Sunday off.

I haven't changed my diet that much except for replaced soda, sweets, and junk food with healthier options, cutting down proportions, and going out to eat a lot less.

My goal is to drop to 225 pounds by the end of summer. Eventually getting down to around 205 pounds and 19% BF in a year if not earlier.

Last edited by Urbanmule; 04-05-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:34 AM
FitDay Member

thats awesome you sounds like your on the right track.. im 135lbs and 5"1 and i have been mostly jogging to try and get the weight off. i also want to lose 30lbs. any pointers? :P

Last edited by KarenHenson; 03-16-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:28 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by KarenHenson
thats awesome you sounds like your on the right track.. im 135lbs and 5"1 and i have been mostly jogging to try and get the weight off. i also want to lose 30lbs. any pointers? :P
I'm going to assume *I know what that means* that you're a girl, for that reason and the fact that I am in no way experienced or qualified to train people means that my advice might be waaaayyy off...

The first thing I did was watch what I was eating and adjust based on that. I love food! so cutting out a lot of the bad stuff sucked, but I feel that going from a sedentary lifestyle smaller portions and healthier options is going to make a improvement no matter what.

For exercise I will do a fully body workout 3 times a week... working out each part doing 3 different exercises at 3 sets, of 15 reps (the lighter weight and more reps you do the leaner the muscle)

So something like this:

Back, Chest, Legs, and abs exercise
Different Back, Chest, Legs, and abs exercise
A different Back, Chest, Legs, and abs exercise

On Cardio days I will do atleast 45min. of either biking, rowing, elliptical... I just try and aim for a certain number of calories or distance and let the time be what it needs to be as long as it's over 45min.

Again not sure if this is any help or if this even is a good system but I can already feel and see the results after a few weeks so I'm sticking with it. Just be sure to switch up the exercises so your body doesn't get use to them

Hope that helped?
Old 03-16-2011, 02:44 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Urbanmule
Lets see, I'm a 6'4 275 pound 22 year old male. Growing up I always played team sports (you name it I've probably tried it) I went to a college that was out of state and my meal plans consisted of take-out, fast food, and greasy cafeteria slop. Needless to say the pounds packed on quite fast.

Now... Earlier this month I joined a local gym that a few friends and my co-workers go to. It's time for a life change... I workout 5 sometimes 6 days a week with one rest. Usually doing M, W, and F as full body strength training and T, Th, S as cardio with Sunday off.

I haven't changed my diet that much except for replaced soda, sweets, and junk food with healthier options, cutting down proportions, and going out to eat a lot less.

My goal is to drop 30 pounds by the end of May/Early June. Eventually getting down to around 225 pounds in a year if not earlier.
With your activity level and size I bet you can get to 225 by the end of the summer if you watch your diet really well. Sounds like you're off to a great start--keep it up!

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-16-2011, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Urbanmule,

Congrats on making the changes to better yourself. I have a question about your workout. When you say full body workout are you doing compound moves like dead lift, squats & pull ups or isolated moves like leg press, leg curls, etc? I ask b/c I see you also do abs and when I do stuff like dead lifts it works back, legs & my abs, just as chin ups will work my back, arms & shoulders. Just curiors.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:02 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone for your support i know you folks know a lot. 225 by the end of the summer would be awesome, however I feel really burdened when it comes to counting/paying close attention to my diet... Mainly because I have no clue where to begin. To answer 01gt4.6 question, the routine I posted was just an outline to show what I was talking about, I mix in a lot more of both isolated and compound lifts, all depends on what I feel for that day.

Let me know if you have anymore advice or questions
Old 03-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

You have no clue where to begin? Logging food and activities can seem overwhelming at first, trust me you get use to it rather quickly. Seeing that you are wanting to lose weight, you have a goal weight and time already set, you sir, have already begun!

Click the Weight Goal tab and enter in the information for your goal. Then log everything that goes in your mouth. Some people like to eat like "normal" at first, or what their normal is just to see how bad things really were. It can be a big wake up call. Others just dive right in and eat clean. Some allow cheat days or a cheat meal every week, some don't.

The best advice I can give to you is log everything (or as close as humanly possible). This includes food and activities. Now I don't log taking out the trash or minor things, but I do log my hours of sleep and any physical activities I do (work out, cardio, tennis, whatever).

Make sure you burn more than you take in, your weight goal will tell you how much more to burn. Clean eating is key. Some people make small changes and again, others jump right in. The bigger the effort you put in, the better the results will be. No that food are not created equal, 20 grams of carbs from a candy bar isn't the same as 20g of carbs from steamed broccoli. 60g or protein from friend chicken with gravy, isn't the same as 60g of protein from baked chicken breast. Try to limit (or cut out) junk food, sodas, beer, etc. Drink plenty of water and eat health, nutrient dense foods like: lean beef, chicken, fish, veggies, veggies, veggies (oh did I mention veggies?), fruit, nuts, avocados, etc.

Look up the member named tandoorichicken here. His signature tells you what to do.

You may be surprised that some foods you once hated, you'll grown to like or even love.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:10 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
You have no clue where to begin?

Click the Weight Goal tab and enter in the information for your goal. Then log everything that goes in your mouth.

Others just dive right in and eat clean. Some allow cheat days or a cheat meal every week, some don't.

20 grams of carbs from a candy bar isn't the same as 20g of carbs from steamed broccoli. 60g or protein from friend chicken with gravy, isn't the same as 60g of protein from baked chicken breast. Try to limit (or cut out) junk food, sodas, beer, etc. Drink plenty of water and eat health, nutrient dense foods like: lean beef, chicken, fish, veggies, veggies, veggies (oh did I mention veggies?), fruit, nuts, avocados, etc.
I spliced to edit it down. I know where to begin, like I said any step in the right direction is good, so I dove right into eating healthy and allowing one cheat day (wed) and the rest is cleaner then before. I've entered my info for my goal but haven't started tracking yet... will do starting tomorrow. The main thing that throws me which is probably just because I haven't ever really looked at it is the split between carbs, protein, sugar(? that last one could be wrong)... I've read that 40.40.20 is a good split, but what exactly does that mean and I'm not sure I can get a accurate reading on that unless I check all the nutrition labels on the box, which I'm not a big fan of. I've cut all junk/soda/and gave up alcohol for lent so I'm good on that. Just trying to get in the right amount of everything for the day.

A typical day consists of:
140 oz. of Water and
Oatmeal for breakfast
Snack (granola bar, yogurt, fruit, veggie)
Sandwich for lunch (peanut butter or lean meat)
Snack (granola bar, yogurt, fruit, veggie)
Dinner (lean meats, veggies, rice, soup)
And usually one protein shake after working out
Old 03-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

40/40/20 more than like means your calories come from 40%carbs, 40%protein, 20% fat. You see a pie chart once you started logging your food that should your percentages. I tried that for a while, then I switched to 40c/35p/24f. I had good result with both and they are very similar. Now my pie chart looks like the opposite, but it's working. I try to switch it up every now and then.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:55 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
40/40/20 more than like means your calories come from 40%carbs, 40%protein, 20% fat. You see a pie chart once you started logging your food that should your percentages. I tried that for a while, then I switched to 40c/35p/24f. I had good result with both and they are very similar. Now my pie chart looks like the opposite, but it's working. I try to switch it up every now and then.
Hi Mike, how would you do the 40/40/20 or changing it, please give an example by food, and when you change also how would you also change the food...EXAMPLES PLEASE....as I joined on the 9th of this month and I need to lose 25kgm...and I already started to receive valuable support from many people here, so still I'll be in need for more PLEASE!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.