New to forums, old to fitday - one week in question >

New to forums, old to fitday - one week in question

Community
Notices

New to forums, old to fitday - one week in question

Old 02-11-2011, 02:27 AM
FitDay Member

Question New to forums, old to fitday - one week in question

Hi everyone! I have been using FitDay on and off for awhile to track calories burned/consumed. However I have never really browsed the forum until recently!

Question for everyone: I have cut my calories back by ~600-800 a day, and upped my workouts significantly. And I have done it a little over a week. However, I went to weight myself and I had gained 2 pounds. Anyone else go through this? Right in the beginning of being really "strict" you gain weight? Is that normal?

Let me know what you think! Thank you! And welcome all!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:38 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Betsy, welcome!

It would help a bit if we knew your stats, but 2lbs for many people is well within normal fluctuations (I've seen 5lbs or more, if I've had a particularly salty meal) and those of the female persuasion may have other reasons for fluctuations as well.

So, if you've been careful in logging your calories and activities and have chosen the proper "lifestyle" for figuring your basal calorie burn, I wouldn't worry much.

If you'd like to share your ht/wt and how many calories you're eating, we might be able to shed more light on the subject.

Regards,
Michael

Last edited by mecompco; 02-11-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:23 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks, Michael! (Like I said, new to the forums ) It's probably especially helpful since my stats are unusual for a female:

I'm 6'1" and weighed 204lbs at my doctor visit last weekend. I was probably eating around 2,200 calories a day, because I didn't really think about it! I got food poisoning last week (so I just ate saltines and ginger ale for a few days) and took the opportunity of my shrunken and sensitive stomach to reduce my caloric intake on a more regular basis. Since last Saturday I have not had over 1,400 calories a day. (Probably will today, because it's my birthday )

I've always been an athlete, but that being said, I was eating a lot and working out a lot. I have had trouble transitioning to being a normal gym person and eater... and since, slowly gained more weight than I ever thought I would. Before college I was in the 160s, as an athlete in college I was in the 180s... and then that muscle turned to flab and 20 pounds more found there way on! So, my ultimate goal is to get back down to the 180s-- I would be happy with that and it would be a healthy BMI for me.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:14 AM
FitDay Member

So, now I'm 2 weeks in and I feel like I've been doing really well. Working out a lot and eat a lot less. Eating more protein, less carbs. HOWEVER, I am one pound heavier. Frustrating!

Think it could be muscle? Water weight?

I have been working out hard for about a month or so, but it was only 2 weeks ago that I really started cutting back my calories. Guess I need to cut more.

Any stories of frustration or inspiration would be helpful.

Thanks-
Old 02-18-2011, 02:48 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by betsyschro
So, now I'm 2 weeks in and I feel like I've been doing really well. Working out a lot and eat a lot less. Eating more protein, less carbs. HOWEVER, I am one pound heavier. Frustrating!

Think it could be muscle? Water weight?

I have been working out hard for about a month or so, but it was only 2 weeks ago that I really started cutting back my calories. Guess I need to cut more.

Any stories of frustration or inspiration would be helpful.

Thanks-
This seems to be pretty common, especially among folks who aren't in the really obese category (like I was (and technically still am)) when starting out. Exercise can cause muscle inflammation, which causes fluid retention, as can a high sodium meal or two (like most meals at restaurants). Those of the female persuasion can also retain on certain days.

It really takes a long time to build a pound of muscle, but one can easily retain several pounds of fluid. You may also want to re-check your math for your calorie deficit--if you're not running a major deficit (I like a 1,500 a day, personally) then it can be pretty easy to end up not losing. A 500 a day deficit (1 pound loss a week) can pretty easily end up a 0 calorie deficit if one misjudges caloric intake and/or calorie burn. Your estimated 1400 intake might really be more--I don't know--do you weigh/measure portions? Also, you may have to adjust your "lifestyle" choice--for instance, I add 8 hours of sleep to bring mine into line with my actual weight loss. Just some thoughts.

Regards,
Michael

Last edited by mecompco; 02-18-2011 at 02:51 AM.