Just call me YoYo! ;)

Community
Notices

Just call me YoYo! ;)

Old 01-28-2011, 12:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default Just call me YoYo! ;)

Hi Everyone!
I have been losing-gaining-losing-gaining since I was 13 years old. Now I'm 45 years old and battling at it again.

I have weighed everywhere between 135 and 242 pounds. Compulsive overeating is how I have managed to do this.

On 1/1/11 I started Fitday at 200 lbs and my goal is to reach 150 lbs by the end of this year. Which is basically a pound a week. I figure I need at least a daily 500 calorie deficit to reach that goal....Does that sound right?

When I started my first 2 weeks I was doing great, running on the momentum of initial enthusiasm but the third week I got lazy and now I'm jumping back on the wagon.

I have loss 2 pounds so far, running a bit behind schedule though.

Looking forward to spending more time on the forum and meeting you all.
Carolyn
Old 01-28-2011, 01:50 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Carolyn, welcome to the FitDay forums.

I've been a yo-yo my whole life as well, though my weight has gotten a bit more out-of-hand than yours.

I, too, am back on what I plan to be my final visit to the weight loss rodeo.

A pound a week should be fairly painless, and yes, an honest 500 cal per day deficit should get it done.

Please don't hesitate to ask if there is any advice or help you would like.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-28-2011, 05:42 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the warm welcome Michael

Don't you sometimes think there should be an honorary PhD in dieting?

There will be commercials on TV for diet programs and they cause me to look back and reminisce: Jenny Craig, 1992, 55 lbs, Weight Watchers, 2006, 47 lbs, etc.

I'm not knocking the programs but I have deeper problems relating to food than they were able to address. I like the idea a Fitday because it doesn't make such a big deal out of things but it does make me accountable to myself.

Carolyn
Old 01-28-2011, 05:51 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Skeetgirl
Thanks for the warm welcome Michael

Don't you sometimes think there should be an honorary PhD in dieting?

There will be commercials on TV for diet programs and they cause me to look back and reminisce: Jenny Craig, 1992, 55 lbs, Weight Watchers, 2006, 47 lbs, etc.

I'm not knocking the programs but I have deeper problems relating to food than they were able to address. I like the idea a Fitday because it doesn't make such a big deal out of things but it does make me accountable to myself.

Carolyn
Carolyn, I think you've hit the nail on the head. What many of us need is a lifestyle change, not another "diet". FitDay has worked very well for me in tracking more calories and exercise during my weight loss phase and I'm counting on it helping me in maintaining my new lifestyle once I get to my goal.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-28-2011, 12:27 PM
FitDay Member

You're right Michael, I think Fitday is really suited for maintenance unlike some of the other programs I've been on in the past.

My husband doesn't really need to lose weight but he tracked what he was eating for the first two weeks of January just to become more aware of what he was eating calorie, fat and sodium wise. It was a real eye-opener for him. No more "unconscious" eating for him.

I need a bit more structure. My last weight loss "success" was with WW but I became very obsessed with my points and earning more points by working out. I was losing weight like crazy but my mantra became "I workout therefore I eat"

I'm working out now but not fitting my eating to how much I work out. But I know if I don't work out I still have a 500 calorie deficit when I eat 2000 calories in a day. If I work out I'm not looking at my calorie balance because I know I'll go "wow I worked off 500 calories today, now I can eat 500 calories more".

Carolyn
Old 01-28-2011, 03:27 PM
FitDay Member

Carolyn:

Welcome! I am brand new to FitDay, but not new to yo-yo dieting; have tried everything. Found success in 2006, and lost 166 lbs. within about 2 yrs. Kept it off, give or take 5 lbs. since then, but within the last month or so, the scale has started to creep up in a most unsettling fashion!

I'm glad to meet you and would be glad to talk to you anytime!

~Heather~
Old 01-29-2011, 11:59 AM
FitDay Member

You sound great. I'm thinking and think of doing something but this is the closest I've come to actually doing something about my weight. Sure I did in the past but I'm 207 and 5 "5'. Looking forward to 165 or 160.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:02 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Guys!

I think the best advice I can give anyone from my prior (many) experiences is take small positive steps.

Instead of relying on that first initial wave of excitement that eventually does wane, I'm trying make small changes that stick this time around.

And instead of feeling like I'm giving up (bad) habits which are so dear to me right now that I feel like I can't function without them, what I want to do is look like all the positive steps are additive to my life, not a negative sacrifice.

Right now I'm just trying to eat when I am truly, physiologically hungry. When I master that, I want to try eating even healthier. After that...I'll think of something else to add.

I hope and pray that we can all work one day at a time on our goals and achieve them in our own time.

Best of luck to you all,
Carolyn
Old 02-09-2011, 08:13 AM
FitDay Member

Default I can relate

I relate to the yo-yo dieting, have gained and lost 30 lbs. at least 3 times. I'm trying to make it a lifestyle change now. My diet is very calorie restrictive, so I am "eating to live", instead of "living to eat". I've cut out sugar and sugar substitutes except for Stevia which is natural. I'm amazed at how much better I feel in just the first week. I didn't gain it all overnight and I won't lose it all overnight either..slow and steady, 1 lb at a time.

Take care,
M