Notices

I'm new

Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM
FitDay Member

Default I'm new

Hey guys.

I just registered so I thought I'd introduce myself. First a little background info. I'm 21 years old, and weigh in at over 350 pounds... wow, it hurt just typing that ... anyway I've been up and down the weight loss roller coaster my whole life. I lost a whole mess of weight in high school on Atkins, but have gained it all back plus a lot more to go along with it. I have high blood pressure, depression, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and take meds for each of them. I know my weight contributes significantly to all of it. I've tried countless strategies over these last few years, but it seems like for every pound I lose, I gain back 2 in it's place. I've tried low carb, low fat, fasting, calorie restriction, diet pills, HCG, meal replacements, slim fast, raw food diets, vegan diets, and well, I think you get the idea. I just can't find it in me to ever stay on any plan long enough to see consistent results. I'm a broken man...

Okay, enough sob stories. I'm here to try to get a fresh start. Here's what's up: I'm planning on adopting a plant based diet (since reading "The China Study"), cutting my calories to 2000 a day, which is my idea of slow and steady (according to my fit day account, I can actually eat up to 2900 calories and still lose weight), and finally find a new place for all those coats on the treadmill. I've set my goal weight at 210 pounds, and I'd like to get there in a year (that's not too ambitious is it?).

Anyway, sorry for the long introduction, and thanks for listening.

Last edited by VirusInside; 01-19-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:02 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome to FitDay.

Don't despair--what you want to accomplish can be done, and you're in the right place to do it.

My story is very similar to yours, though I left 350 way behind before I decided to do something about it (this time).

I see you've figured out your calorie burn--just stay under that and you'll lose weight. Personally, I like to run a bigger deficeit but you've got to decide what you can live with. This HAS to be a lifestyle change, not a "diet".

Please, read through the subforums--lots of great advice. Also, please consider joining us in the 100+ to Lose thread in the Diet Tips forum--everyone there knows what you're going through. And don't hesitate to ask if you have questions or need advice.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-20-2011, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome! I just wanted to agree with Michael about this needing to be a lifestyle change instead of just another diet plan. Make healthy changes that you can sustain and at a pace that you are comfortable with. Some people can just jump in with both feet and be fine but I believe most of us need to make the changes more slowly for long term success. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:30 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I definitely agree about needing a lifestyle change. I really do want to become a vegetarian, or at least a "flexetarian." I think I'd do best to start cutting out the most unhealthy animal products first, and gradually adjusting my diet. Going cold turkey doesn't usually give me good results. I really feel like I'm off to a great start. I plan on becoming a regular around here. I just hope I can keep my word.

Thanks again guys.