FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Firing up my Log (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/2978-firing-up-my-log.html)

schlemoc 01-12-2011 01:53 PM

Firing up my Log

Ok, first I'll introduce a few things since I've never posted here. I'm 5'8" and weigh a ridiculous 245 pounds. About 7 years ago (that long?! damn) I graduated weighing a very handsome 165. I did manage to maintain a solid 180 for the next 5 years. However, I got laid off 2 years ago and the job search, coupled with 2 pots of sugar laden coffee a day, took it's toll on my waistline. Now I'm in an office environment, instead of a physical intense career.

My solution is to go back to what I did in high school that worked for me, while adding in some supplements to boost it. I've already started and dropped 5 pounds, so looking for some critiquing on what I'm doing.

Diet:
Morning: oatmeal or Beverly International Ultimate Protein Shake
snack: glass of V8
lunch: lean protein, rice
workout after work (5:30 pm - 7 or 7:30pm)
Post workout: Beverly UMP
dinner: soup and/or protein as needed

Supplements:
before each meal: 1 Beverly 7-Keto & Lean Out, with 1 L-Carnitine (instead of taking multiple lean out's)
pre workout: 2 GNC 4x Muscle Igniter
Post Workout: 2 BCAA
Before bed: 3 ZMA

Workout: (mon, tues, wed, thurs now. adding sat/sun in future)
1 hour to 1.5 hour interval training (depending on energy level and free time) - split up 1/3 & 2/3 alternating between gazelle like machine and elliptical. typically burn 1100 calories.
After 1 hour:
Incline Bench: 5 sets of 8 reps
Bench: 5 sets 8 reps
Row: 5 sets 8 reps
Tricep Pulldown: 5 sets 15 reps

I know some people consider this overworking particular muscle groups, but I'm not putting on a ton of weight. I have had a lot of luck in the past with a similar routine, but I want to refine it to make it more efficient. Any thoughts/opinions are encouraged. I look forward to updating my log with the results.

vabeachgirlNYC 01-12-2011 02:38 PM

Welcome to FitDay schlemoc!

It sounds like you have a plan and if that is what works for you then go for it!

schlemoc 01-13-2011 09:05 AM

Thanks. Spent 2.5 hours at the gym today since I had to take a half day of work. Feeling pumped. I've dropped down considerably from 245 since I started this 2 weeks ago. Trying to burn up all the calories at the gym to equal close to my daily intake. It's been dropping me pretty solid. I've not even begun any supplements. If anyone has any suggestions on cardio/lifting routines let me know.

rpmcduff 01-13-2011 05:03 PM

If your plan is working then keep doing it. However, I would suggest some compound lifts like squats and deadlifts in addition to your upper body exercises.

schlemoc 01-14-2011 10:47 AM

my cousin suggested squats/deadlifts as well. My problem with adding squats would be that I'm already blowing my legs out on cardio, so wouldn't squats just compound that?

almeeker 01-14-2011 11:15 AM

Um, you could do the squats first and then finish off on the cardio with whatever you have left, or shorten the cardio and hope you can do squats and take advantage of after burn.

01gt4.6 01-14-2011 02:48 PM

welcome to the site! I have a love hate relationship with squats, but they do work and that's what counts.

schlemoc 01-15-2011 10:06 AM

I have to get on a routine of alternating weight training. I plan on cardio every day, just need to get a routine for lifting. I'll probably add squats to the afterwork out just to utilize the burn. my cousins routine is squat/bench/row, then the next day do squat/overhead press/deadlift at a 5 x 5 schedule.

SailorDoom 01-15-2011 11:23 AM

Overall, the routine your cousin suggested sound quality to me -- those "big" movements that utilize multiple major muscle groups will definitely give you the most bang for your buck. You should be lifting before doing any cardio -- again its a "bang fo your buck" kind of thing. If it were me, I'd also add a day of rest in between lifing sessions. Well rested, your muscles will repair themselves better, allowing you to get bigger and stronger faster. With that schedule, you could do cardio on the non-lifting days or you could do cardio and lifting on the same day and have the following day off entirely, maybe only doing some sort of light exercise (like a bike ride or an easy jog).

Kathy13118 01-15-2011 01:37 PM

No matter how great your workout is, unless you know how much you're putting in your mouth (calories), you're going to be surprised when you don't lose weight. You'll be fit - but a very beefy type of 'fit' person - not having reduced the size of your body!

Just listing food or thinking about different foods being good can be misleading. Food has calories. That's what determines your weight loss.

If this plan works for you, then you know that you're burning more than your taking in. If it's not working for you, then adjust the amount your 'taking in' your mouth and continue working out. You'll see results.

schlemoc 01-19-2011 01:14 PM

I've dropped down to a fluctuation between 230 and 235 depending on when I weigh myself. I have noticed an increase in muscle mass since I've changed my focus from strict cardio to increased weight lifting, which could be the reason the scale is not moving much.

I pay very close attention to what is going in each day. I closely monitor my foods on fitday and adjust accordingly. I'm still struggling at increasing my protein intake, but that should be changing soon since I'm picking up some bags of frozen chicken breasts on sale and spinach for lunch.

My problem with my cousin's routine is I need a spotter for most of them. I tend to work out solo, unless my friend shows up. That's been pretty steady, but can easily become a rarity. I'd like to get my hands on a nice workout routine that alternates target areas. Tonight I focused on chest and glutes before I did my cardio.

I am trying very hard not to take a day off, because I know if I take one day off, I'll have a hard time coming in the next. I'm all about routine. I actually stop at the gym every day after work to force myself to go. The weekends are rough because I have to go out of my way to go to the gym. So doing lifting one day, then cardio the next is not really an option. I've been switching up the cardio to work the muscles differently to keep from overworking them.

Any suggestions, as always, are welcome.

vabeachgirlNYC 01-21-2011 06:33 PM

Your muscles need time off to recover so you can avoid injury and to get optimum results.

I will do higher reps/lower weights when I work out at home but at the gym I will go for PR's because there are always plenty of people willing to spot for me if I ask.

schlemoc 01-22-2011 12:04 PM

I understand that. I only do cardio every day. I focus on doing 1,000 calories minimum daily of cardio. That's the only constant. Tomorrow I'm going to give my cardio a rest and do a full body workout. I only ever lift til exertion on particular days. Otherwise I do lower weight wtih higher reps. My friend also suggested I continue to do that, because I am not looking to bulk up at the moment, but tone up. It was tough getting to the gym today... weekends are killers on motivation for me.

01gt4.6 01-22-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by schlemoc (Post 32135)
I have to get on a routine of alternating weight training. I plan on cardio every day, just need to get a routine for lifting. I'll probably add squats to the afterwork out just to utilize the burn. my cousins routine is squat/bench/row, then the next day do squat/overhead press/deadlift at a 5 x 5 schedule.

IMO doing squats 2 days in a row is crazy. I also would do squats the same day as deadlifts.

Originally Posted by schlemoc (Post 33126)
I understand that. I only do cardio every day. I focus on doing 1,000 calories minimum daily of cardio. That's the only constant. Tomorrow I'm going to give my cardio a rest and do a full body workout. I only ever lift til exertion on particular days. Otherwise I do lower weight wtih higher reps. My friend also suggested I continue to do that, because I am not looking to bulk up at the moment, but tone up. It was tough getting to the gym today... weekends are killers on motivation for me.

what are you doing, like 2 hrs a day of cardio? If so, why?

schlemoc 01-30-2011 02:35 AM

In response to your questions, that was a typo. One day is squats, the next is deadlift. I've decided to work on my own routine of a full body workout that I found online. I modified it a bit for a 6 day routine. I do one day of lifts with light cardio, the next day I'll do core/abs with heavy cardio.

As to cardio for 2 hours, that is really only true when I get bored. I'll turn down the resistance or go do a fat loss program, but even then it's not 2 solid hours. I can do 1,000 calories in about 1 hour and 10 minutes on a hard day. On my light days I've been shooting for about 650 calories, which is 1 hour on a particular machine at a decent pace.

My coworker, who lifts a lot, reviewed my plan. He said to do 25% of your cardio pre workout to make sure your blood is flowing and your muscles are fully warmed up. Then you do the routine. After you're done with the routine you go to the regular cardio. I've been following this the past week and noticed a real increase in strength and focus.

Is there a way to post up workout plans? I'd love to share this with you guys and get some input on your thoughts.