FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   No support so far (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/2963-no-support-so-far.html)

jwonsch 01-11-2011 11:37 PM

No support so far

I was so excited to find this free site that offered so many tools necessary for my weight loss journey. However I posted twice in response to someone elses posts and I haven't received any replies or encouragement yet. I am either doing something wrong and do not understand how to work a forum
(all this is new to me). So instead of letting it discourage me I thought I would start my on "thread" and see if that helps. There is alot of encouragement being given out and it could truly be a great tool to help someone who is trying to lose 100lbs in a year. I am trying this year to not let discouragement defeat me so this is how I will fight it... head on.

MLK79 01-12-2011 12:01 AM

Well good luck to you!
I am new here aswell and I think that it is really encouraging when you have support from not only those around you but from those who don't know you but can share in your story!

jwonsch 01-12-2011 12:08 AM

Thanks for your reply and I hope you're having success with your weight loss too. Are you using the food and activity logs regularly? They are very informative. I was able to notice a problem area ( too much fat %) in my diet. The graphs are great. I was also able to track my %'s of lifestyle or activity caleries burned. That was very interesting and it challenged me to increase the activities. I enjoy the journal too. Good luck to you.

Jomckee 01-12-2011 12:34 AM

Hi Janice
Good luck with your diet. Just take it a day at a time. I am new too and am impressed with the site. :)

cjohnson728 01-12-2011 01:09 AM

Hi Janice, congrats on taking the first step (and probably several more since!). One thing you may find is that some threads are more active than others, which might explain why you didn't get replies. Everyone is very helpful and friendly here. My suggestion would be to jump over to the No More Jiggling In January thread and the 100 Pounds thread (the former is in the Women's Corner section and the latter is in the Weight Loss section); they seem to post pretty frequently and I'm sure they would be glad to have you! There is also a Motivational Thread in Women's Corner where you can set goals and give and get encouragement.

Good luck on your new lifestyle. Embrace it and enjoy it :)

jwonsch 01-12-2011 01:20 AM

Thanks so much Cassie and congrats on reaching/passing /maintaining your goal weight! I will look around at the other forums. When I was in Weight Watchers 3 yrs ago the weekly meetings were so encouraging and I know that I require that kind of support. ( I LOST 65 LBS BUT HAVE SINCE PUT IT BACK ON) This forum format will provide it daily / hourly and moment by moment. Which is what this battle is ...moment by moment. I have a lady in my office that is an avid walker and we will be walking after work. Another lady walks with me usually around 9am for a quick "round the block" 15 min loop. I know if I can add this activity regularly I will lose weight. I also do "Just Dance" on the Wii, and comcast "on demand" health & fitness selections. I really will have NO Excuse with all this available. I'm really excited about getting back on the right path.

MunaAmin 01-12-2011 01:28 AM

hi you may want to post to Success Stories -'standing ovations' thread

jwonsch 01-12-2011 01:31 AM

I'll look at it thanks

RunbikeSki 01-12-2011 02:48 AM

Replies and threads

Hi Janice,
Welcome!
I've at this for about a year now and I have found it fascinated to note which threads and topics take off, and which seem to whither on the vine. I am an analytical person in habit and profession and I cannot find a pattern - which makes it even more interesting. So don't be offended!

But Cassie's suggestion is a good one. The Ladies' only section tends to be very active and you will likely get good responses there.

Best of luck to you - you are well on your way now!

Pam

jwonsch 01-12-2011 03:02 AM

Thanks so much for your note and encouragement. One change I wanted to make this year was to be aware again. Be aware of the foods I eat and the amount of activity I do and the mental state I allow myself to be in. I am doing good so far but only 2 weeks in to the new year. I have to make this my lifestyle thought process.

doyoutri2 01-12-2011 03:06 AM

I too look forward to connecting and reading what others have to say. I think that you are starting on the right track by 'going public' with your weight loss goals. I think that will help keep you accountable and motivated.

Good Luck in achieving what you set out to do.

01gt4.6 01-12-2011 05:28 AM

welcome to FitDay, and don't get discouraged by what seems to be lack of support. This forum is just like any other forum, the OP (Original Poster aka, the person that started the thread) will get the bulk of the attention. Some people will reply to others in the thread as well but the main focus will usually be on the OP (unless it's a group type thread, which Cassie recommended to you).

Usually the OP will also be the one to reply the most in their own thread, since the majority of the people are focused on that one person... as use see here. As said earlier, don't take it personal, that's just how it works.

Now if a thread becomes THJ (Thread Hi-Jacked) then that would be a different situation. That would be, for example, if you started a thread telling us your story and some one else posted about something unrelated and the focus then turned to the other person and spins out of control.

almeeker 01-12-2011 05:53 AM

Hello Janice and welcome to the forums. For the most part we're a friendly bunch, I think your posts may have gotten lost in the glut of posts coming on since the New Year. I'm on all the time and didn't notice them. Having said that please feel free to join the "No More Jiggling in January" thread, it's a great bunch and we always like to hear an new voice. Be warned, the thread changes titles every month, usually involving some silliness with the first letter of the month. For example last month it was "Downright Delightful in December" or some such.

jwonsch 01-12-2011 06:13 AM

Thanks everyone for explaining

Thanks everyone for explaining and suggesting other ways to use the forums. I have been hitting New Post and seeing if people are posting to my thread or others etc. I'm still a little confused but I am managing to see things better today. I guess I will learn as I go. I love the encouragement not just for myself but that I see given to everybody. It really makes this a great place to look for encouragement. You're a great bunch. I also like seeing the personal achievements on the signatures too. It makes me not feel alone in this.

mecompco 01-12-2011 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by jwonsch (Post 31628)
I was so excited to find this free site that offered so many tools necessary for my weight loss journey. However I posted twice in response to someone elses posts and I haven't received any replies or encouragement yet. I am either doing something wrong and do not understand how to work a forum
(all this is new to me). So instead of letting it discourage me I thought I would start my on "thread" and see if that helps. There is alot of encouragement being given out and it could truly be a great tool to help someone who is trying to lose 100lbs in a year. I am trying this year to not let discouragement defeat me so this is how I will fight it... head on.

Welcome. You're posts on the 6th and the 7th were responses in the middle of someone elses thread. I try to welcome everyone--you've done the right thing by creating your own thread. Asking questions will also get you more responses.

Please, check out one (or both) of the 100+ to lose threads--there are quite a few of us here and we're glad to help.

Regards,
Michael

williamscouple 01-12-2011 12:37 PM

1 week in

Hi, I'm new here also. But been down the diet road many times. Good luck to you.

Diana101508 01-12-2011 12:48 PM

I am new on fitday also, and love how am able to keep track of what am eating. Today I went ahead and made myself public here. Even My WEIGHT!! Am embarrased by it, but so be it, what I weigh is what I weigh. Back in 2004 I had Gastric bypas, believe me, I tried all kinds of diets. This was my last resort. It was great, lost 175 pounds and got rid of lots of big clothes, cousins were thrilled about that...lol I have fallen off track and gained some weight back. The surgery is good as long as keep on track with what you eat. So I had this month decided to get back in track. I started on the 3rd, lol failed diet 101 errr BUT..BUT I restarted on Monday and have been doing great. Funny thing today though, I had two coworkers at different times offer me candy...I shook my head, said No thank, am on a diet. I am so motivated about this right now and I hope to continue. Good luck to everyone who had decided to become healthy/healthier and keep up the good work. Be positive and always remember you are doing this for YOURSELF and no one else!

Alicia06 01-12-2011 03:16 PM

Janice- although your last two posts didn't get a repsonse you sure are getting a lot here. Are you getting any support from family friends or co-workers? I "let it be known" that im going to lose weight this time because all the times in the past I've never really stuck to it. I'm hoping with a full circle of support this time will be different. Good luck in your goals!

nykolel 01-12-2011 04:03 PM

welcome im new there too. its great to hear from people with the same problems as me. i too have been down the road of endless doubt( not only in myself but others too) not thinking im good enough, self pity . i too wish us all the luck and happiness with our journey. i see those fit and trim people on tv in magazines movies and get jealous. im 5'6 243 lbs(was 245lbs lost 2 lbs last week and plan on losing 2 lbs /week). i get very jealous and envious of those women. i get so bad that sometimes i cry and get really down on myself my goal weight is 135-145 lbs( my mini goal is to be walking right ( not like frankenstein as my husband would say) i have a herniated disc and its affecting the way i walk i want this to be done my apr(husbands graduation) i will continue to keep you in my prayers and thoughts and hope you will do the same. good luck and God bless you:)

jwonsch 01-12-2011 11:21 PM

You're right Alicia there has been alot of response on this thread! I am excited too because it does help to know others struggle with the same things. I do have a great support system around me. My husband, my boss and other friends and coworkers are very excited for me However there are some that seem to want to sabatoge any effort when someone tries to lose weight. But I know I'm in a war to fight to the finish to achieve my goals. I prayed often that the Lord would put the desire in my mind to start the journey again. I want to feel like I did before when I lost 65 lbs and I want to lose the other 40lbs on top of that. I will lose it 5lbs at a time and that I can do. at 5'3 225 lbs and a BMI of 41 this is not where I want to be, this is where I want to have come from.

jwonsch 01-12-2011 11:30 PM

I forgot to say welcome to Diana & nykolel. Congrats to Diana on the 175 lost even if you have put some back on. This is certaily a great site to get the support to help you get back on track and stay on track. Nykolel, when jealousy of all the pretty people you see on tv and such causes you sadness picture yourself at your goal, looking awesome! The mind is a strange thing and I know positive thoughts are better for us than anything else. One thing I love about this site is the journal. I use it to tell myself positive things every morning before I start my day. I try not to fill it with things that defeat me. I tell myself ... I'm worth it!, I can do this, Just do it, No excuses. I can conquer anything etc. You will be surprised after doing this regularly it will empower you and give you victory over those demons that haunt you and defeat you.

rachel1972 01-13-2011 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by jwonsch (Post 31628)

im here just logged on to it good luck

nykolel 01-13-2011 08:48 AM

thank you jonwonsch for your comment i sometimes feel that way b/c i want to be tthose people. i know that alot of this negative doubt is me, but i wish i dont feel this way that is why i love this site. not only does it track my progress, it is a great tool in the fight aganist weight loss and maintaining the weight loss. and talking to you guys

love
peace
and souuuuuuul!!!!!!!!!!!:)

nottango 01-13-2011 11:40 AM

Janice,

Sorry to hear your first posts didn't get responses. We're a pretty fickle group.
It sounds like you'd be a great addition to our weekly motivational thread, which is in the women's only section. We all set specific individual goals for ourselves early in the week, then check in daily with how we did. There are also a lot of jokes and silliness, which makes it fun!
See ya there. This week's just says "motivational starting 1/10" or something. It was started by canary52.

jwonsch 01-13-2011 11:02 PM

Thanks nottango, I figured out how to really get in the conversations. I started just clicking on "New Posts" periodically throughout the day and I can see when people are talking. If it's a subject I want to comment on I do. This is really a wonderful way to feel like you're in the fight with others who understand. I will check out the motivational thread. The forums keep me focused during the day. Good luck with your last 12 lbs! Be seeing ya in the chat

jwonsch 01-13-2011 11:17 PM

Hi Nykolel, it does seem like some of us struggle maybe more with negative thoughts maybe even more than our diet. I have been struggling with some negative thoughts myself, but I realized that they are LIES! And if someone stood in your face and you KNEW they were lying, you would probably say to them " you're lying!" sooooo... that's the approach I take with my negative thoughts. I might think something and then I say " Is that true? NO!" so then that is followed by telling myself to shutup and leave me alone! It actually has worked but I might just be weird. Anyway one of the things I post in my morning journal is " Recognize untruthful thoughts". Be as nice to yourself as you would be to your bestfriend.

cktab 01-16-2011 01:40 PM

I'm just starting out again.

Hello Janice
This is my first day on this site. I'm not that computer savy so I hope this gets back to you. I am 53 and 220.8 pounds. My goal is find the woman that lives within. I know that she is still there. Thought is would be great to chat with someome around my same age.
This time I am going to try and lose 10% of my wt and then I will take it forward from there. The last 20 pounds have come on very quickly, so I am hoping the first 10% will go by quickly.
Look forward to chatting with you.
Karen from Penticton British Columbia, Canada.