Notices

Struggling with reality

Old 01-09-2011, 09:00 PM
FitDay Member

Red face Struggling with reality

I started my healthier eating and exercise regime yesterday and I'm already dissapointed that I don't look like kate Moss today!!!! does anyone have some tips for looking at the bigger picture ?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by hilili
I started my healthier eating and exercise regime yesterday and I'm already dissapointed that I don't look like kate Moss today!!!! does anyone have some tips for looking at the bigger picture ?
"The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong...."

Keep the faith--I don't look like Kate Moss, either (unless she is a middle-aged, balding guy in disguise) but I am 100 pounds lighter than I was 26 weeks ago. And if I can do it, so can you!

Keep your "eye" on the prize--the weight didn't go on overnight and it's not gonna come off overnight (but it CAN come off pretty fast if you work at it).

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Look at the little picture first by setting realistic mini goals. As you hit each one the big picture doesn't look so overwhelming.

Take a before picture too. Keep taking them when you notice changes in your body. Mine help my see that I can do this and that I am doing it!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:55 AM
FitDay Member

Make a goal of five pounds to lose. Do everything possible to lose it and when you finally succeed then do it again. Before you know it the date is January 2012 and you have lost a lot of weight.

I was in the same boat one year ago. I lost about 75 pounds and my wife lost 60. Don't make plans to look good for summer or some mystical date, just make a goal to lose 5 or 10 pounds and be happy when you do and then start over again. You will get there, just make up your mind to do it and don't stop!

Whatever it takes, log in here every day and read about weight loss, log all your food intake so you can track your calories and stay on top of it all. Make up your mind to take charge of your weight and make it happen.

It is so fun once you get going and see results!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 AM
FitDay Member

when i first start a new fitness regime i really don't look at the big picture because i hurt, feel exhausted and am filled with, well to be honest, self pity.
i start to reason out of doing the new activity or not eating what i am craving- it all seems so hard, and its going to take so long.

What i do is say "2 weeks i am going to throw myself into this and really stick to it, regardless of how i am feeling- then if i want to stop doing it then i will, but not before" And i mean it!!!
By the end of the 2 weeks I am preliminarily over pain or getting use to the new food list and infact loving it.

If at some later time i feel like i want to give up again i repeat the statement but change something (activity)- I call it my 2 week cooling off period!!Ha ha ha

Focus on yourself too and recognise why you are feeling certain ways and above all be honest with yourself- i mean for me i say - oh god i am hurting so much - i am too old to do this stuff- no one else does it- i am stupid for doing this- etc etc....... I have to stop myself thinking that and say yes i am hurting because i have been lazy and pathetic but i am not that anymore- and mean it!!!

So what do you think? 2 weeks is not that far away.......

Last edited by plainswanderer; 01-11-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
FitDay Member

I guess going in to this whole thing I knew better than to hope for the body of a supermodel. But all the same I too have been disappointed on a few occasions when I was good for days on end and had little to show for it. I find what helps is to set other goals rather than just how I look or what the scale says, just little challenges to keep me going. For example we bought an elliptical and I would challenge myself to use it longer and at a higher pace or a different setting. And not little increases but larger ones that take time and persistence. When we bought it I could go for 20-25 minutes max, and so I pushed myself until I could go for an hour. Now I'm training for a 10K in May. I also like to buy the occasional piece of clothing that is too small, and I keep trying it on until one day it fits. If you spend all your time standing around waiting to look like Kate Moss, sooner or later you'll need some professional help eh? Be patient with yourself, it'll come.