Notices

Complete Newbie, but ready to try!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Smile Complete Newbie, but ready to try!

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm currently 5'4 1/2 and weight 215 pounds at age 27 (F) -- I've always been a little bit chubby, but after going to grad school and working for my Ph.D., I've found that my weight has ballooned -- even though I got the doctorate this past May (yay Dr. Me!) I couldn't help but feel disappointed at all of the emotional eating I did, and the Sedentary Lifestyle that I had creep up on me. My eyes went out of my head when I stepped on the scale and I was over the 200 mark!

It's difficult for me to work out due to an ankle injury that makes impact difficult (treadmills and high-impact routines are completely out) but I've often used that as an excuse, more than simply as a creative way to find out how to work out.

I've never really settled on any kind of diet/exercise routine before, so I'm starting simple -- cutting calories to 1,500 a day, trying to limit aritificial sugar intake, eating more natural/whole food and figuring out an exercise routine that works. I'm taking it slowly - 30 minutes of cardio (HIIT) every other day right now, getting my ankle and body used to the routine -- but I am very excited to take over my own life!

Good luck to everyone, and happy New Year!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

Congrats. You can do it!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:44 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome to the forums! And congrats for taking control of your health issue now--it just gets harder if you put it off. A PhD--wow! At 46 I'm still working on my Master's.

Your weight loss approach sounds just like mine, and I can assure you that it will work, if you stick to it.

If you need any help or advice, just ask.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-05-2011, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you both so much!! I appreciate the welcome, support and encouragement. mecomp - a Master's at 46 is probably more awesome than a Ph.D. at my age, so good for you! You can totally do it!

My biggest setback is the injury which prevents me from doing exercise, but I just need to be creative. Unfortunately I can't afford gym, exercise equipment, etc. so I'm sticking to DVDs right now, but all you need to do is move around, right?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:38 AM
FitDay Member

Yes all you have to do is move around and watch your food intake. Track everything that goes into your body and keep your calories at 1500. My wife is/was similar size to you and she rode a stationary bike for 20 minutes a day when we started and she kept her calories at 1400. She lost 65 pounds in 9 months ....it is surprising how easy it is if you eliminate the bad foods and keep calories in check.
Stay involved with your weight loss everday and take advantage of fitday for tracking calories and advice or any questions or just support. We are all part of a team here!!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to FitDay!

I was on crutches for almost 3 months with a broken heel this summer so I modified everything possible to prevent as much "damage" as I could.

There are tons of exercises you can do if you get creative!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Taubele!

Congrats on your degree! I know how hard it is (been there, done that) to take care of yourself. Then you turn around and say, darn, what happened to my 20'S? Yep, they were spent studying and writing and maybe researching, or whatever went into your course of study.

You are very smart for taking control now and I encourage you to keep it up. When I finished school, life hit me immediately...I literally flew home from defending the dissertation, signed a contract on a house, and found out I was pregnant the next day (unplanned, but very very welcomed). That was 15 years ago, and 14 of those years were spent putting myself on a back burner. Fortunately, last year was not one of those years, so I am here to encourage you to not make the same mistake. Make yourself and your health a top priority.

Sounds like you have a great plan in place. Use FitDay, use the forums, and ask for what you need

(Michael, big salute to you, as well...I cannot imagine trying to navigate higher education with a family and work, in addition to working to become healthy...which could be a full time job in itself ).
Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Wayne -- Thanks for letting me know about your wife!! I'd love to be able to afford a stationary bike. Someday! Right now I do cardio routines, and if my ankle starts to hurt (from jumping or landing on it a little funny) I sit down and keep working out with my arms. I'm also saving up to invest in a better brace for it - the one I have now is old and flimsy. But biking is the way to go, and congratulations to your wife!

The tracking calories is *great* -- I have so much to learn about food, and it really helps to see what strategies others are using (like 40% carbs, 30% proteins, etc.) and to try to aim for that slowly. My food today has been about 60% carbs so far -- looks like lots of protein for dinner! I love being able to see that and plan for each day as it's own little thing.

vabeachgirl - Yikes, broken heel! I hope it healed well! I remember well having to go up and down stairs on my butt for three months after my ankle surgery

cj - Ha, you got that right! I got my Ph.D. right before I turned 27. All of my friends were out, 5 years into their careers, making twice as much money as me -- I felt like I took the wrong way Twelve hours a day (or more) in the lab researching saps all your energy, and the last thing you want to do is exercise. No pregnancies for me though, I can't even imagine it! I'm a post-doctoral researcher right now - it'll probably be a wedding first, and then a house. Congrats to you for getting through all that in one piece!

I really want to put ME first. So often I put my career first, or friends, or loved ones. It's in my nature not to think about myself, but it's been made clear to me that all of those people that love me want to have me around and healthy, and enjoying my life finally! So I intend to do just that. For them, but for me too!

Thanks for all the welcomes and encouragement!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 AM
FitDay Member

Congratulations on getting your doctorate, that's pretty stinking cool. As for exercise you can do with a bum leg, there are a ton of "desk" workouts that you can find on-line. Also if you have health insurance you might want to get some physical therapy for the ankle and bring the exercise issue up with the therapist. I've been working on a bum shoulder and you would not believe the stuff this lady has me doing, almost all of it's core strengthening.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
FitDay Member

One more thing about that bike my wife used... it was just a junker from a neighbors garage sale, i didn't even want to bring it home as it seemed too sketchy to use!! Then a friend gave her a glider thing to use, not sure if that was really a good exercise or not as there was no resistance.
A half hour walk every day with a hill involved goes a lonnng way too at no cost! Lose some weight and start walking faster, it's great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.