Notices

getting frustrated...

Old 01-04-2011, 04:26 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy getting frustrated...

Hi! Iam new to this site, but not new to trying to lose weight... I started out at 230 about 2 yrs ago and after being put on Xenical from a cardiologist I shed 48 pounds and that was a year ago in May... since May I havent lost or gained... i stopped the Xenical when it seemed to stop working and ended up going from low fat to low carb dieting... the low carbing wrecked havoc on my body... my blood pressure sky rocketed and i started having regular occuring nasty heart palps... so i went back to low fat/low calorie eating and have also being working out "religiously" since Oct 1st... stopped drinking diet coke and alcohol and have been feeling great... i was on 3 bp meds a day and iam completely off all meds... i dont consume more than 1200 calories a day and work out 7 days a week... the kicker is ... no loss... its getting annoying... if anyone has advice/tips/tricks please fill me in... starting to think iam abnormal... help!!!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

I understand your frustration with the weight loss but just being med free is a huge accomplishment! Here are some areas to look at.

* Protein - Many women find that increasing their protein intake helps them lose weight. Between .5 and 1.0 grams per pound of lean body weight is the most recommended range. Whey protein shakes, eggs and egg whites, cottage cheese and lean meat are good sources for protein.

* Carbohydrates - You stated your body doesn't handle low carb well. Just make sure your carbs are mostly complex and avoid as the simple carbs like sugar, white bread and fruit juices, and processed foods. Use whole wheat/grain products and fruits and vegetables for carbs.

* Exercise - If you aren't already, incorporate weight training (preferably with free weights) into your exercise regimen. Lift heavy (5-6 repititions to failure) and include compound movements like squats and deadlifts. Use HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) for your cardio workouts as these have been shown to have a greater fat burning effect than steady state cardio.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Great ideas, Ron!

Are you weighing/measuring your portions? 1200 cals doesn't sound like much, but it's pretty easy (at least for me) to get lax about portions and end up above my calorie goal.

Really, when all is said and done, if you take in less calories per day, on average, than you expend you MUST lose weight.

Hope your weight loss goes into high gear!

Regards,
Michael

PS Welcome to FitDay! :-)
Old 01-05-2011, 04:17 AM
FitDay Member

Are you more toned? Muscle weights more than fat and you may be replacing fat with muscle working out 7 days a week.

Another thing to consider is whether you are taking in enough calories. Too low an intake can slow down your metabolism. Depending on your weight and activity 1200 might be too low.

Don't give up. You are feeling more fit. Weight is just a number on the scales. Look at all the benefits you have gained so far. Mary
Old 01-05-2011, 05:18 AM
FitDay Member

I'm going to second the protein advice and the "you might not be eating enough" advice. You might also want to give yourself a day off of the exercise. I know that "eat more" and "exercise less" seem like advice in the wrong direction, but it's not. At one point I had to up my calories from 1,200-1,300 to about 1,500 just to give myself enough extra calories to really push the workouts. So let yourself have a few extra calories but make most of them protein and see if that doesn't bust through your plateau. The other advice I always give is "Are you drinking enough water". Baseline of 64 oz per day + 8 more for every 10 pounds you want to lose. You also don't say what sort of workouts you are doing, but if it's always the same try and mix it up, get some new DVD's or equipment, or maybe a new personal trainer.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 AM
FitDay Member

I would try calorie and exercise "cycling". Mix it up a little to trick your body into movement again. Instead of 1200 kcal every day, try 900, then 1500, then 1200, then 900.... same thing with exercise, do some high intesity cardio one day, rest the next, then focus on strength training a muscle group another day.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:39 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you all so much for your words of advice... i wasnt online for a couple weeks due to computer problems and came on to find such helpful advice...

Since I posted I did add more lean protein to my diet, also lots of raw veggies and a half a cup of coffee in the morning to give me more energy for my workout.

Iam alternating my workouts daily... most days i do cardio and a couple times a week i do some weight training... i have noticed a huge difference in my body, not so much on the scale (maybe 5lbs) but iam getting very toned and muscles are definately showing... so iam glad i didnt give up!!

Thanks again for all the advice!! I will definately incorporate your advice into my "Way of Life"!!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:52 PM
FitDay Premium Member

LoriLynn, that's great! Don't be a stranger--let us know how things go.

Regards,
Michael