Notices

Newbie searching for foods...

Old 01-04-2011, 01:58 AM
FitDay Member

Question Newbie searching for foods...

Hi all, I have been a user of [link removed] for quite some time now, but really liked the layout of this website. However (remember I'm new!), how can I search for foods the way I did on the previously mentioned website (for those of you that have used it, maybe??)?? I type in something simple, such as "hazelnut coffee creamer"...not there. I don't want to have to enter in everything I eat as a "custom" food entry! Could someone give me some tips on searching for foods? Greatly appreciated in advance! Thanks guys (and gals!)...

Last edited by VitoVino; 12-20-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:36 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Many times being less specific works best. And yes, the FitDay search and/or database could be better (hint, hint, PTB).

Sometimes turning the words around helps "creamer, coffee" for instance. Many times using the "Browse Foods" option works better than "search".

Somtimes you either have to go with something close (generic coffee creamer instead of Hazelnut Coffee Creamer, for instance) or invest the minute or two it takes to enter it as a custom.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Michael

PS Welcome to the forums, though this post really should be in the "support" subforum.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:13 AM
FitDay Member

I find if I use just one word the search function works better. For example if I am looking for Polish Sausage I would search for 'Polish'. If you include more than one word the results include anything with either of the words. So if you search for 'polish sausage' the search returns items with only polish or only sausage along with foods with both words. You would think that the foods with both words should be at the top of the list but that isn't how it seems to work here.

I especially like to use the BROWSE function when looking for meat or poultry items. It is just less frustrating.