Notices

getting back to normal

Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 AM
FitDay Member

Cool getting back to normal

Hi everyone. My name is Nelly. I'm 56 years old and I'm recently retired.

My job was very active until a promotion to a desk 5 years ago. Now I'm about 20 lbs. overweight and need to up the ante with exercise. I had a total knee replacement last year and will need the other one replace in the next couple years also. I used to be an avid hiker and now that I have more time on my hands would like to get back into my boots when the spring comes.

Even with my knee issues, I really think I can do this again. I have the "want to" now I need to stick to the plan.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Nelly, it sounds like you've made up your mind to Git-R-Done! Good for you. I'm really looking forward to some hiking and climbing this summer. Up here in Maine there are some really nice trails--some of my favorites are down around Bar Harbor. One of my eventual goals is also to climb Mt. Kathadin--now THAT will be a major accomplishment.

Please do let us know how you're doing and feel free to ask if you have questions or need help.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-03-2011, 09:05 AM
FitDay Member

thanks Michael!

I must say, I'm very impressed with your progress! wow!

I live in Tehachapi California and I climbed Tehachapi Peak about 10 years ago. My goal is to do it again this year. The trail head sits at 6000' and the summit is 7943'.

Hope we both make it this year!

Last edited by nelly56; 01-03-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by nelly56
thanks Michael!

I must say, I'm very impressed with your progress! wow!

I live in Tehachapi California and I climbed Tehachapi Peak about 10 years ago. My goal is to do it again this year. The trail head sits at 6000' and the summit is 7943'.

Hope we both make it this year!
Sounds good, though I don't know if I'll be in that good a shape this summer--we'll have to see. Kathadin is only 5,268 feet with the trail head at 1,467. But, people die there from time to time, so it's not a totally tame mountain. I want to make sure I can make it before I try

In any event, it's going to be a great spring and summer!

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

welcome Nelly! 20 pounds isn't bad at all.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:56 AM
FitDay Member

yay!

I just logged my first loss..... 3 pounds!

I'm on my way!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:54 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by nelly56
yay!

I just logged my first loss..... 3 pounds!

I'm on my way!
Congratulations!! If the hiking aggravates your knee you might consider swimming or water aerobics as an alternative.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:59 AM
FitDay Member

thanks Ron!

I don't have an indoor pool available up here in the sticks, and I'm not hiking yet because of too much snow. However, just walking down to the front of our property (5 acres on a slope) and back to the house is a workout! I have a treadmill and recumbant bike in the basement for now. So far, my knees are holding up well.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:22 AM
FitDay Member

I live in Washington State, about 60 miles north of Seattle, and can't wait for spring and summer to arrive for hiking and biking! I do some walking nearby, but I'm looking forward to getting into the mountains (without snow).
Old 01-05-2011, 01:42 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by LisaAnnie
I live in Washington State, about 60 miles north of Seattle, and can't wait for spring and summer to arrive for hiking and biking! I do some walking nearby, but I'm looking forward to getting into the mountains (without snow).
I hear ya about the snow......I'm sick of it. Add to that the bitter cold and my joints aren't happy. My son and his wife live in Seattle. It's beautiful up there!