Notices

The Pleasures of Dieting

Old 01-01-2011, 04:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default The Pleasures of Dieting

I figure since I'm in this for life I should look for some things I like about trying to get fit. I'd appreciate any comments on things you actually enjoy about the process.

I find I eat better and look forward to my food more when trying to eat well. I notice what I am eating.

As for exercise I enjoy it -- once I get motivated to do it. I've never come back from exercising and said "I wish I'd stayed on the couch."

I am going to keep trying some positive thinking. Anybody have things they can add?

Mary
Old 01-01-2011, 04:49 AM
FitDay Member

I like a good long walk, just got back from one and it was fabulous, so glad I didn't lay on the couch for the last hour and a half! One thing I like about eating better is that I can have a great big salad and I never end up saying afterward "I can't believe I ate the whole thing".
Old 01-01-2011, 08:58 AM
FitDay Member

I love a nice long shower with some gorgeous smelling shower gel after a killer workout. Work hard for 45min-1hr, then drink a tall glass of water, chilled just right - not too much, and then the shower you'll feel like a new person.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kumochi

As for exercise I enjoy it -- once I get motivated to do it. I've never come back from exercising and said "I wish I'd stayed on the couch."

Mary
Welcome to the forums, Mary. I love what you said about working out... although the other day I did a little too much and kinda wished I would have stayed on the couch.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:14 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

I like this topic, because negativity won't get us anyplace. Yes I like a lot of things about being healthy.....so we really need to stay motivated and encouraged to keep it going. One of my favorites is to walk 1 hour on the treadmill. I try to boost it up some by running for a minute, then go back to walking. I feel really good after that hour is done. That inturn, encourages me to watch what I eat the rest of the day.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll post again tomorrow. Happy Walking!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:24 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for all the replies. I need positive reinforcement. After years of dieting I know all the things I should be doing and I know they work if I do them. Motivation and support are the things I sometimes lack.

Mike I have had that same experience on occasion! I'm a bit of a wimp so it is rare that I overdue it. I am going to the Y to a class twice a week and sometimes find it pushes me more than I would push myself. I don't always keep up but I find it good to stretch my limits.

I am enjoying my wii fit -- again once I get started. I find tricking myself into just thinking I will do the weight in and body test often leads to 30 minutes of wii exercise. Again the reward of seeing how many calories I burnt and being able to journal them here helps. I wish there was some way of adding activities the same as we add our own foods. So far I have justed tried to find an activity that matches the calories burned.

Keep up the good work everyone. Think positive

Mary
Old 01-05-2011, 08:55 AM
FitDay Member

I love this site. I had forgotten how much I enjoy using the site and seeing the numbers. I'm just in from blowing the snow out of my driveway and cross country skiing. Knowing that I get to enter the calories burned helped make me dig out the skis. At 7 calories per minute the motivation is great. Doing something you enjoy -- and then being rewarded for it by being able to enter more calories burn't is double the fun. Mary
Old 01-05-2011, 11:18 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Good posts--I was saying today that "I love HAVING exercised." I feel great afterward--those little endorphins or whatever they are just feel good. I can't say I really MIND exercising, but if given the choice, I'd probably avoid it.

That's why every day at work when that clock hits 12:00 I throw my jacket, hat and gloves on and head out the door. If you take time to think about it, there are always other thing you "could" be doing during lunch. And I'm such a creature of habit that if I skipped once, it would be much easier to skip again.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-05-2011, 11:25 AM
FitDay Member

I like being reminded what real hunger feels like, not the phony hunger (aka boredom, stress, etc).
Old 01-05-2011, 03:46 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Good posts--I was saying today that "I love HAVING exercised." I feel great afterward--those little endorphins or whatever they are just feel good. I can't say I really MIND exercising, but if given the choice, I'd probably avoid it.

Regards,
Michael
I know exactly what you mean Michael. I find that the reverse is even more true, I can't stand how not exercising when I could and should have makes me feel. I get depressed and cranky with myself and everyone around me.

In the last eight or so months I have missed four workouts....three of which I was out of town and couldn't be there even though I wanted to, and one where I just slacked off and didn't bother going.
It seems I am my own harshest critic, I spent the next day berating myself mercilessly for being such a slacker.

While the endorphin release, the 'pump' and the visible results of working out are all great, it really is the fear of the soul crushing feeling of letting myself down resulting from skipping a workout that gets my arse up and out the door on my way to do weights.

I am always glad I when I finish, but I have never yet walked away from a weight training session thinking that I wish I hadn't done it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.