Notices

Here Goes!

Old 12-28-2010, 04:34 AM
FitDay Member

Arrow Here Goes!

Hi all,
I'm new to the site, just joined yesterday.
This site looks like a great way of being aware of what I actually eat.

My goal is to drop 16 - 20 lbs by the start of March 2011. I am kind of starting now but also want to enjoy New Years celebrations....

I'm a regular gym goer, I do 2 gym classes (usually spinning) per week and also swim regularly and walk to and from work (30 mins each way), I also do 1-2 sprint triathlons a year to keep me on the straight and narrow.

My problem seems to be that I will punish myself for hours with exercise but then come home and eat eat eat! I have a bottomless pit of a stomach and a very sweet tooth.

So here are some questions:
I am looking for some ideas of foods that will fill me up and not fatten me up?
What high protein low fat foods I should eat?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:58 AM
FitDay Member

High protein foods include:
* Lean Meat (including pork and beef)
* Chicken
* Turkey
* Fish (including canned tuna)
* Cottage cheese
* Eggs (eliminate the fat by using just egg whites)
* Protein shakes and drinks

First off a disclaimer, if something works for you then use it. I personally don't believe in a low fat diet. If it works for you (but it sounds like it isn't) then I will not be the one to chastise your choices.

This is the second time I have typed this today, so if you have already read this on another post I apologize. Healthy fats (like monounsaturated) are essential for nuerological function and nutrient transport. In addition fats have been shown to have a satiating effect on hunger. Maybe your body is just crying out for some more fat in your diet. I personally like about 10 unroasted almonds with a glass of water to fend off cravings.

Your work out plan seems to be typical of most women. Lots of cardio, no weight/resistance training. I have read countless times of women who were unable to acheive the body they wanted until they incorporated weight training into their workouts. I encourage you to find the post 'Too much at the Gym, or too little' in the Exercise forum. Several women talk about their success after incorporating weight lifting into their workouts. They also suggest a book 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler' for more reference.