Notices

steroid use

Old 12-21-2010, 12:40 PM
FitDay Member

Default steroid use

Hello, I am new here and I am very happy to be here. I have a question, I was on steroid use, Solumedrol, for pain. My Doctor had me on this treatment. I have been off of it for over 3 years and I find I have to starve to death and excersise 45 min. a day or more and I still can not lose the weight. I am so discouraged and don't know what to do. Is this normal or has there been anyone else who has this problem? I apologize for any miss spelled words. I thank everyone ahead of time. Thank you. I hope to lose this weight. Happy Holidays to everyone!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

welcome aboard. I don't know much about Solu-Medrol or why exactly it was prescribed so I'm not much help... but did you discuss this with your doctor?

Next question... when you say "starve to death" are you referring to barely eating or is it that you have an insane appetite that when you eat like a "normal person" you feel like you are starving?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:58 AM
FitDay Member

I know that while you are on steroids, it's pretty common to be ravenously hungry all the time, and have difficulty losing weight due to the steroids' effect on the endocrine/hormone systems in the body, but if you've been off them for 3 years, I don't know. It's possible your hormones are out of whack, especially if the steroids were used over a long period of time. If you're still living in pain, that alone is going to make everything you do 10 times harder. Speaking from personal experience there. I would pursue this medically, with a doctor that's willing to take the time to sit down and REALLY listen to you, not just shove prescriptions at you after a minimal history.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:53 AM
FitDay Member

Not discounting the value of talking to your doctor but being hungry and not being able to lose weight could also be attributed to what you are eating. Fat is often eliminated by those wanting to lose weight but fat is neccesary for nuerologic functions and nutrient transport as well as having a satiating effect on hunger. Many have found that they also need to increase their protein intake to be able to lose weight. Search the forums for posts about protein percentage to get an idea of where to start if you think this may apply to you. Hope you come back to see this.